2019-20 Roster Speculation Part 16: Not much left to speculate about

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Really excited for this Sabres rebroadcast tonight.

This is the game with the Brian Campbell hit on RJ Umberger.

Still one of the best hits I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: IlikeEich and slip

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I’d throw out Ryan Johnson and a protected 2021 1st for Strome
The idea of moving a 1st makes me pretty nervous even with the lottery protection. I could easily see 2 consecutive bad seasons in which we trade a high 1st in 2022 for a guy I like, but don't love. You want to talk a pipedream guy like Cirelli, I'd trade that pick and a lot more because I'm confident a guy like that moves the needle more than a guy like Strome. Ultimately it's nothing against Strome, I think he's a solid player who'd fill a role here and would look pretty good playing with some of the snipers we have.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
2 guys I'd be interested in pursuing are Monahan and Hampus Lindholm.

Both would be pricey, but Monahan seems to be unanimously loved by CGY fans. ANA needs some young talent for the inevitable rebuild.

In both cases we'd have to add but I'd think something around Montour for Monahan, to fill the spot of Hamonic or Brodie. For the Anaheim deal, I'd look at Mitts and McCabe so they can get a young high ceiling forward and an "NHL" d-man.

I wouldnt give away this year's first in either trade but wouldnt mind involving next years, whether directly or to acquire more equalizing assets.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
2 guys I'd be interested in pursuing are Monahan and Hampus Lindholm.

Both would be pricey, but Monahan seems to be unanimously loved by CGY fans. ANA needs some young talent for the inevitable rebuild.

In both cases we'd have to add but I'd think something around Montour for Monahan, to fill the spot of Hamonic or Brodie. For the Anaheim deal, I'd look at Mitts and McCabe so they can get a young high ceiling forward and an "NHL" d-man.

I wouldnt give away this year's first in either trade but wouldnt mind involving next years, whether directly or to acquire more equalizing assets.
Are you adding Reinhart and our first to Montour? Just because we were happy to destroy our center spine for junk return 2 years ago doesn't mean that other teams are willling to do the same.

Monahan's not perfect but his trade value in a vacuum would make Montour the second or third best piece in a deal for him at best, and when you remove the vacuum, leaving Calgary with a C/W tweener like Lindholm, an older Backlund, and then run of the mill depth as their center spine is suicide for them, and they know it, which would increase Monahan's value even more

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Man imagine if playoffs got cancelled and we were in a playoff spot right now. I'd be so gutted.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Most valuable unrestricted free agent forwards

This is a really good article.

Although, I would stay away from Toffoli.

Craig Smith intrigues me a bit as a good buy low candidate. Good speed, fits right in the middle 6 group.

Interesting Leivo didn't come up.

Pending UFA

Used heavily defensively in Toronto. A bit more even playing in Vancouver. On pace for 15 goals again.

Josh Leivo Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

He'd be a good depth guy to have, though he's recovering from a knee cap injury.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
One guy that keeps popping into my head is Yanni Gourde. Admittedly he was on my radar a year ago too.

Most Tampa articles have either him, Johnson, or Palat as the odd man out with the priority to re-sign most of their pending RFAs, but Gourde seems to get mentioned first because he's coming off a down year. His underlying metrics are very good, he seems to be ok at the dot in a limited sample size, and he can also fill in on the pk.

My questions would be:
  • Is he an actual center, or just a winger that occasionally played in the middle? How often did he play the pivot?
  • What's up with his decline, has he peaked already? In my viewings he always stood out in a good way, but that's a really limited sample of games.
  • If additional compliance buyouts aren't added, what would be the acquisition cost? Based on the cap impact, I'm assuming a 2nd gets it done, maybe a 3rd and a C-level prospect like Laaksonen or Davidsson. Is that even close?

Reactions: Aladyyn

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
waiting for my next telecon.

Ristolainen to Anaheim for 2020 1st from Boston and their own 2020 2nd. Add in CJ Smith from Sabres side.

BPA with Sabres 1st.

Trade up using Anaheim’s picks and pick whichever center falls: Lundell, Zary, or Holloway.

Tuch with Sabres 2nd.

pipeline reset.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario

Ristolainen to Anaheim for 2020 1st from Boston and their own 2020 2nd. Add in CJ Smith from Sabres side.

BPA with Sabres 1st.

Trade up using Anaheim’s picks and pick whichever center falls: Lundell, Zary, or Holloway.

Tuch with Sabres 2nd.

pipeline reset.

...and wait 3yrs with fingers crossed for those pieces to become bonafide NHLers when we need help NOW.

If you're dealing Risto it HAS to be for a n NHL pivot IMO - his value is tarnished so its not neccassarily going to be a 'sexy' return (certainly not a 1st or a #1C...). A straight up hockey trade w/ a team needing D help for a 20-something, #2/middle-6 centreman like Henrique/Bonino/Wenneberg/RNH on a similar cap-hit deal makes the most sense IMO. Buys Cozens/Mitts more time, allows Reinhart/Kahun to play primarily on the wing... Avoid the square peg/round hole issue.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015

BPA with Sabres 1st.

Tuch with Sabres 2nd.

pipeline reset.

Love it. Now, your plan would result in immediate improvement to both the Sabres' NHL roster and their prospect pool. However, the Sabres' management has already put in place a bold plan to rebuild by drafting as many bad players as possible, while also trading up in the late rounds to acquire targeted bad players. But, it's only been 3 years - let's give it a few more years to see how it plays out.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
...and wait 3yrs with fingers crossed for those pieces to become bonafide NHLers when we need help NOW.

If you're dealing Risto it HAS to be for a n NHL pivot IMO - his value is tarnished so its not neccassarily going to be a 'sexy' return (certainly not a 1st or a #1C...). A straight up hockey trade w/ a team needing D help for a 20-something, #2/middle-6 centreman like Henrique/Bonino/Wenneberg/RNH on a similar cap-hit deal makes the most sense IMO. Buys Cozens/Mitts more time, allows Reinhart/Kahun to play primarily on the wing... Avoid the square peg/round hole issue.

I have a feeling that ship sailed several years ago. When Brian Burke goes on national television and says he was going to trade for Risto and his analytics frantically talked him out it...it's over. Our only hope is Dale Tallon. But, even then, odds are long.

Trading Risto is an "addition by subtraction" proposition. Almost anything they get in return is a bonus (assuming they don't trade Risto for, oh, idk, 2 or more of the worst players in then entire NHL. But I mean, what are the odds of that *laughs nervously*).

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
One guy that keeps popping into my head is Yanni Gourde. Admittedly he was on my radar a year ago too.

Most Tampa articles have either him, Johnson, or Palat as the odd man out with the priority to re-sign most of their pending RFAs, but Gourde seems to get mentioned first because he's coming off a down year. His underlying metrics are very good, he seems to be ok at the dot in a limited sample size, and he can also fill in on the pk.

My questions would be:
  • Is he an actual center, or just a winger that occasionally played in the middle? How often did he play the pivot?
  • What's up with his decline, has he peaked already? In my viewings he always stood out in a good way, but that's a really limited sample of games.
  • If additional compliance buyouts aren't added, what would be the acquisition cost? Based on the cap impact, I'm assuming a 2nd gets it done, maybe a 3rd and a C-level prospect like Laaksonen or Davidsson. Is that even close?
I watched a handful of TB games this season and Gourde just looked really snake bitten. I'd definitely take a chance on him as I think given the situation TB is in and his down year he'd come cheap, I still think he's a legit 2nd liner and will be for the duration of that deal. I can't comment on whether he's a legitimate center option as well as someone like Jame could, but in my opinion I think he'd be alright there. I really like that he's a skilled player that isn't afraid to make plays in the dirty areas. I'd offer something like a 3rd and a B-prospect. It's a bit of a lowball offer but TB is in a bad way and I wouldn't be doing them any favors. The biggest hurdle is his NTC. I don't know how likely he is to waive that, particularly for Buffalo.

BPA with Sabres 1st.

Tuch with Sabres 2nd.

pipeline reset.
I'd make that trade. The picks can always be used as currency to get a center, if nothing can be swung you've got two prospects to help strengthen our middling prospect pool.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
I have a feeling that ship sailed several years ago. When Brian Burke goes on national television and says he was going to trade for Risto and his analytics frantically talked him out it...it's over. Our only hope is Dale Tallon. But, even then, odds are long.

Trading Risto is an "addition by subtraction" proposition. Almost anything they get in return is a bonus (assuming they don't trade Risto for, oh, idk, 2 or more of the worst players in then entire NHL. But I mean, what are the odds of that *laughs nervously*).

Did you actually finish reading the rest of my post or read what you bolded and just HAD to reply right then???

I Pretty much reiterated there is no trade scenario involving Rasmus for a top centre or a 1st to draft one/trade for one... Hence, making a hockey trade for a middling pivot which fills a need for both GMs.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Really excited for this Sabres rebroadcast tonight.

This is the game with the Brian Campbell hit on RJ Umberger.

Still one of the best hits I’ve ever seen.

bruh, I was like 12 years old, taking up a table at an Applebee’s or somethin for 3 hours with my aunt and fam, on vacation or somethin where no one watches hockey, and I screamed and damn near threw mozz sticks in the air when that hit happened. Still one of my favorite hockey memories, me just spazzing out and having the wait/insistence be worth it- “boom, mom, that’s why we’re in Applebee’s for 3 hours! Woo what a hit!”

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Most valuable unrestricted free agent forwards

This is a really good article.

Although, I would stay away from Toffoli.

Its all about cost and term.

BPA with Sabres 1st.

Tuch with Sabres 2nd.

pipeline reset.

I dont see getting Tuch for a 2nd. It would cost more.

A team isnt going to trade a 1st for Ristolainen unless they plan on protecting him in the ED. similar logic also applies to a trade for a player.

Id rather play Risto as a winger next year thus making it easier to protect himin hthe ED

Im not helping TB by taking one of their $5M players

Reactions: Eichel9

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Its all about cost and term.

I dont see getting Tuch for a 2nd. It would cost more.

A team isnt going to trade a 1st for Ristolainen unless they plan on protecting him in the ED. similar logic also applies to a trade for a player.

Id rather play Risto as a winger next year thus making it easier to protect himin hthe ED

Im not helping TB by taking one of their $5M players
I believe he's talking about drafting Luke Tuch with one of those picks, not trading for Alex. Anaheim could keep Ristolainen although it would likely mean moving one of Fowler or Manson which given their age and where the team is at could be a smart move for a rebuilding team. I share your thoughts about helping TB out of cap hell, zero interest in doing them any favors. If you trade for one of their players you: A) Don't pay anywhere near full value B) You get a good player, on a good contract that will contribute for years to come.

Reactions: Der Jaeger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad