2019-20 Roster Speculation Part 13: 1 Less D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Non of those guys are even close to 2c. Bonino maybe strome plays with panarin I ain't buying it. granlund is a winger, tierney is a 3c. non of these guys make us anymore competitive. also, Nashville is having a down year, it's the perfect buy low situation. It'll never happen but if he's available botts should be calling.

They aren't solving 2C in season. What they could do is make sure that Johansson plays wing and we don't have to see Mittelstadt having an 8 minute struggle nightly by picking up a center. It doesn't have to be THE center, it needs to be one that makes an improvement though.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
If we are talking pipe dreams... Then what about Couture in SJ if they decide to break it all up?

Grew up in Southern Ontario I believe & remember from his draft year he is a Sabres (plus a huge Bills) fan.

It's probably just as likely as Backstrom tbh...

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
They aren't solving 2C in season. What they could do is make sure that Johansson plays wing and we don't have to see Mittelstadt having an 8 minute struggle nightly by picking up a center. It doesn't have to be THE center, it needs to be one that makes an improvement though.

Put Reinhart at center, he played there his entire career.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If we are talking pipe dreams... Then what about Couture in SJ if they decide to break it all up?

Grew up in Southern Ontario I believe & remember from his draft year he is a Sabres (plus a huge Bills) fan.

It's probably just as likely as Backstrom tbh...

Go look at his age and his contract length and cap hit.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Non of those guys are even close to 2c. Bonino maybe strome plays with panarin I ain't buying it. granlund is a winger, tierney is a 3c. non of these guys make us anymore competitive. also, Nashville is having a down year, it's the perfect buy low situation. It'll never happen but if he's available botts should be calling.

Ok, sure. Literally all of them are playing or have played #2C reasonably well at some point in the recent past - save Granlund & Rask.

Bonino or Henrique would be my pick as guys with a pretty steady performance baseline.

Even Turris has the skill & ability, he just had a HC in Lavy that hated him for some reason - and his contract hurts his value.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
i agree with you but If we somehow acquire a 2c like getslaf (Pipedream i know) Monahan Johansen maybe trochek who has a nice cap hit of 4.75m that changes things in the lineup suddenly players really aren't out of place. lets say in the summer we grab trochek somehow our lines actually look competent and competitive

Oloffson-Eichel-/Cozens/thompson/x/x/
Skinner-Trochek-Reinhart
Mojo-Mitts/Asplund.thompson/r2
LOG

Dahlin-Joker
Pilut-Risto
Montour-Miller

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Go look at his age and his contract length and cap hit.

OK - wasn't aware he was signed for that long.

Still... I don't see much of a drop off for the first half of the contract. The last couple of years might turn out be a problem however...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
OK - wasn't aware he was signed for that long.

Still... I don't see much of a drop off for the first half of the contract. The last couple of years might turn out be a problem however...

Figure he and Skinner tail off around the same point and it's not a good fit. If SJ retains...say at least 2.5 million then lets talk.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Ok, sure. Literally all of them are playing or have played #2C reasonably well at some point in the recent past - save Granlund & Rask.

Bonino or Henrique would be my pick as guys with a pretty steady performance baseline.

Even Turris has the skill & ability, he just had a HC in Lavy that hated him for some reason - and his contract hurts his value.

Would love to get Bonino (short term gap filler)

Would hate to get Henrique or Turris (contract, age, decline already happening)

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
How much would we have to offer Niklas Backstrom to lure him in free agency? I'm going to pretend that the swedish contingent in Buffalo is at least of a little interest to him. And I'm pretty sure he and Marcus Johansson are best friends.

Does something like the Pavelski contract get him here (3 x 7.0)?

Can he be had on a 3 year high cap deal?

He'd be the perfect bridge center, and would alleviate the need to spend high assets on fixing the problem.
Backstrom seems like the guy who stays and finishes his career in WSH.

Reactions: lauraP

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Maybe Anaheim is ready to trade two players from the top 6 for futures and one of our RDs?

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Figure he and Skinner tail off around the same point and it's not a good fit. If SJ retains...say at least 2.5 million then lets talk.

Yeah that is fair.

I realise Botts almost HAD to extend Skinner no matter what - but that deal is going to be the one causing us most problems down the road imo.

I take Couture 10/10 times over him on what are essentially very similar contracts.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah that is fair.

I realise Botts almost HAD to extend Skinner no matter what - but that deal is going to be the one causing us most problems down the road imo.

I take Couture 10/10 times over him on what are essentially very similar contracts.

I am still not convinced that he had to negotiate against himself and if the city fit was so good for Skinner that it wasn't worth at least a small discount on his AAV. It seemed like Botterill negotiated against himself. But... cap genius.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I am still not convinced that he had to negotiate against himself and if the city fit was so good for Skinner that it wasn't worth at least a small discount on his AAV. It seemed like Botterill negotiated against himself. But... cap genius.

It's an extension of the ROR trade failure.

I agree with the narrative that Botts HAD to sign Skinner, but that doesn't absolve him of putting us in that position.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

At least if his is our worst contract it means we don't have any future Okposo/Bogo type albatrosses on the books. :)

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

I agree, and I don't see them moving Reino back to the middle. What about Girgs? It's an option that no one seems to talk about much anymore.

Once we're healthy:

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart
Skinner-Larsson-Johansson
Frolik-Girgensons-Okposo
Vesey-Lazar-Sheary

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Would love to get Bonino (short term gap filler)

Would hate to get Henrique or Turris (contract, age, decline already happening)

I think Henrique or Turris would still be fine for the right price... Turris especially would take retention & a sweetener, but would still fill a need here... Agreed though, Bonino would be target #1 of that group.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Healthy roster:

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart
Skinner - MoJo - Frolik
Girgensons - Larsson - Okposo
Vesey/Sheary - Asplund - Lazar

Frolik, as if, replaces Sobotka with his defensive game, it also seems to me to be a more offensive player, and perhaps with an increase in playing time, he can show it.

mechaworm

Nov 5, 2019
Yeah that is fair.

Sabres fans have talked themselves into a mental bind on what they "had" to do with Skinner. They can't think beyond the "right now" and can't handle a "what if" more complicated than what if Skinner-or-nothing.

In general:

You trade for a streaky, one-dimensional UFA goal scorer who's good for 50-60 points a year. [Replace this with any secondary supporting piece at another position]

You play him with your franchise center and, wow, you get him tracking a 50-goal pace around midseason. [Replace with any guy playing way above his grade in his UFA season]

He demands one of the top salaries in the league to stay for a term that takes him into his mid-30s.

Conventional wisdom is you trade him at the deadline for more than you bought him for and congratulate yourself on a net-value set of moves. We all were able to predict this when they made the trade, but by the time we got used to him in the lineup, it was "unthinkable" that they might not give him the moon to stay.

The idea that the Sabres had no other choice requires you to accept so many precepts that are really just about fan service disguised as wisdom. I'd rather have had multiple additional high picks and nine million dollars of space last summer than Jeff Skinner for the next eight years, even if it takes a little imagination to think of what a GM might do with that.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Sabres fans have talked themselves into a mental bind on what they "had" to do with Skinner. They can't think beyond the "right now" and can't handle a "what if" more complicated than what if Skinner-or-nothing.

In general:

You trade for a streaky, one-dimensional UFA goal scorer who's good for 50-60 points a year. [Replace this with any secondary supporting piece at another position]

You play him with your franchise center and, wow, you get him tracking a 50-goal pace around midseason. [Replace with any guy playing way above his grade in his UFA season]

He demands one of the top salaries in the league to stay for a term that takes him into his mid-30s.

Conventional wisdom is you trade him at the deadline for more than you bought him for and congratulate yourself on a net-value set of moves. We all were able to predict this when they made the trade, but by the time we got used to him in the lineup, it was "unthinkable" that they might not give him the moon to stay.

The idea that the Sabres had no other choice requires you to accept so many precepts that are really just about fan service disguised as wisdom. I'd rather have had multiple additional high picks and nine million dollars of space last summer than Jeff Skinner for the next eight years, even if it takes a little imagination to think of what a GM might do with that.

Other than the no movement clause he wouldn’t waive — so where do the draft picks come from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad