2019-20 Roster Speculation Part 13: 1 Less D

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
RyJo is not a player you win with. Underachiever with a questionable work ethic. I want no part of him, let alone giving up way too many top assets for him.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
RyJo is not a player you win with. Underachiever with a questionable work ethic. I want no part of him, let alone giving up way too many top assets for him.

He's not a 1c you win with. but he'd be a 2c here. for Something like mitts 2021/2020 1st + ? i'd be all over that in a heart beat and if you haven't watched him play i don't think you should be commenting because i've seen him play many times and based on what i've seen he'd be a great fit for us.

Reactions: Mitts888

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
He's not a 1c you win with. but he'd be a 2c here. for Something like mitts 2021/2020 1st + ? i'd be all over that in a heart beat and if you haven't watched him play i don't think you should be commenting because i've seen him play many times and based on what i've seen he'd be a great fit for us.

If we're truly targeting a 2C why expend that many assets when there are much cheaper options to fill that role? RyJo would be nice, but not if the price cripples us - a guy like Granlund, Tierney, Bonino, Strome, or even Henrique could all potentially fit in that position nicely, have fairly manageable cap hits, could all reasonably be considered 'available' and we're not parting with a kings ransom to get them... Or if you're looking for a reclamation project there's guys like Wennberg, Rask or Turris who could likely be had for pennies on the dollar at this point...

Ultimately, there's just no need to pay #1C prices for a capable #2C IMO...

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

I have watched him play plenty and THAT’S why I am commenting, THANKS!!
Never liked him as a player and that is my opinion.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

The salary cap says hi.

Five more years at $8M per for a guy that is a 55-65 pt 2C that has always gotten a lot of OZ Starts?

Hard pass.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
The salary cap says hi.

Five more years at $8M per for a guy that is a 55-65 pt 2C that has always gotten a lot of OZ Starts?

Hard pass.

I agree that RyJo would come with a lot of risk. The kind that should give pause to acquiring him. I know I'm not sold on the idea.

However, the salary cap is not an issue. Buffalo is well positioned to pay Reinhart 8 per, add another 7-8 per player, and be in perfect position to handle Olofsson, Pilut, Ullmark, etc while being prepared to pay Dahlin/Joki in their due as well....As long as Botts stops doing nutso shit like giving the 13th forward 2 million and acquiring 2.75 per 7th D, and so on.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
How much would we have to offer Niklas Backstrom to lure him in free agency? I'm going to pretend that the swedish contingent in Buffalo is at least of a little interest to him. And I'm pretty sure he and Marcus Johansson are best friends.

Does something like the Pavelski contract get him here (3 x 7.0)?

Can he be had on a 3 year high cap deal?

He'd be the perfect bridge center, and would alleviate the need to spend high assets on fixing the problem.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
How much would we have to offer Niklas Backstrom to lure him in free agency? I'm going to pretend that the swedish contingent in Buffalo is at least of a little interest to him. And I'm pretty sure he and Marcus Johansson are best friends.

He'd be the perfect bridge center, and would alleviate the need to spend high assets on fixing the problem.
I think it will cost more, maybe 8-8.5M x 4Y.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
If we're truly targeting a 2C why expend that many assets when there are much cheaper options to fill that role? RyJo would be nice, but not if the price cripples us - a guy like Granlund, Tierney, Bonino, Strome, or even Henrique could all potentially fit in that position nicely, have fairly manageable cap hits, could all reasonably be considered 'available' and we're not parting with a kings ransom to get them... Or if you're looking for a reclamation project there's guys like Wennberg, Rask or Turris who could likely be had for pennies on the dollar at this point...

ya I agree. There's literally no need for this team to trade any assets to find a 2C, especially with Cozens and Mittelstadt in the ranks. A 2/3 year holdover UFA contract with all that cap space that's opening up is all you need. Not going to get Granlund on that short of a contract though.

If Backstrom would ever move, he's old enough he may take top dollar to come. Then all of a sudden we don't have a forward problem anymore. Hard UFA to catch though, if he even makes it to UFA.

Another Swede, Soderberg, may be worth a 1-2 year contract too.

Channel the Swede Mr Botterill. Announce before UFA the color change to the lighter blue!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I agree that RyJo would come with a lot of risk. The kind that should give pause to acquiring him. I know I'm not sold on the idea.

However, the salary cap is not an issue. Buffalo is well positioned to pay Reinhart 8 per, add another 7-8 per player, and be in perfect position to handle Olofsson, Pilut, Ullmark, etc while being prepared to pay Dahlin/Joki in their due as well....As long as Botts stops doing nutso **** like giving the 13th forward 2 million and acquiring 2.75 per 7th D, and so on.

The cap is an issue in that it would make moving RyJo tough if/when his play declines and he is an anchor ala Okposo, Bogosian, etc.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Trade Hutton, McCabe, Miller for draft picks in offseason
81 million cap roster

upload_2020-1-8_8-56-6.png

Reactions: brian_griffin

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
If your argument is that Backstrom is 100% not leaving Washington, that's fine... usually, when that's the case... a deal is already done.
Pretty sure Backstrom said he wants to negotiate the deal himself, so it makes sense not to do it during the season.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
We definitely need to start winning the next season, so Botterill must provide Krueger with an efficient roster, especially with regard to the attack. And we can’t just take and fill the holes in the composition by Cozens, Mitts and Thompson, because if the children are not ready again, we will suck again. Backstrom or someone else should fill in place 2C, let Botterill make an offer sheet for Cirelli or think up something else, but he will not be able to justify that he has no place in the cap, of course, if he is not a super-idiot and will begin to re-sign Sobotka, Vesey and Sheary.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

He'd be the perfect bridge guy. I have a feeling he's staying in Washington, though. I think they let Holtby walk and go forward with Samsonov, which gives them plenty of space to keep Backstrom.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Pretty sure Backstrom said he wants to negotiate the deal himself, so it makes sense not to do it during the season.

Interesting. Didn't know that.

Nicklas Backstrom is negotiating a new contract without an agent because of his ‘good’ and ‘honest’ relationship with Caps

“To be honest with you, I would have liked it done before the season,” Backstrom said, though he did not offer any further details about which members of the Capitals organization he was negotiating his contract with. However, when Backstrom was asked about how he was faring as his own agent, he joked, “I don’t have a contract for next year, so I’m not doing that good.”

So you're saying there's a chance

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
We definitely need to start winning the next season, so Botterill must provide Krueger with an efficient roster, especially with regard to the attack. And we can’t just take and fill the holes in the composition by Cozens, Mitts and Thompson, because if the children are not ready again, we will suck again. Backstrom or someone else should fill in place 2C, let Botterill make an offer sheet for Cirelli or think up something else, but he will not be able to justify that he has no place in the cap, of course, if he is not a super-idiot and will begin to re-sign Sobotka, Vesey and Sheary.

Botterill needs to re-acquire our 3rd rounder from NYR if he wants to offersheet Cirelli (which would be a GREAT move)

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019

Non of those guys are even close to 2c. Bonino maybe strome plays with panarin I ain't buying it. granlund is a winger, tierney is a 3c. non of these guys make us anymore competitive. also, Nashville is having a down year, it's the perfect buy low situation. It'll never happen but if he's available botts should be calling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad