Speculation: 2019-20 Roster, Cap, Trade Discussion (MOD WARNING POST #542)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Rakell is scoring at a 60 point pace right now on a dreadful offensive team

If you're content to stay the course, so be it. Just don't be upset when we keep being mediocre
My bad, he’s on a 58 point pace. That currently has him tied at 78th in points and 86th in goal scoring. Last year it was 148th in pints with 43, and 136th in goals with 18. He’s an integral part of the offense being dreadful.

I’ll gladly take mediocre over a decade of being a crap team. I pay for season tickets. I’ll willingly put up with a couple years of a rebuild though. But the “trade all the assets” approach doesn’t work.

ReptilianQuack

Jan 17, 2019
Vancouver
LOL Rakell isn't worth more than 3.8? That's absurd, if he hit UFA today he'd easily be in the 6's

Sorry. Ill rephrase.
I wouldnt want to give him anymore than hes getting now. Yes, his potential to put up higher numbers and make more is certainly there. So. When he demonstrates superstar ability, lets come back to this in 2 years time.

ReptilianQuack

Jan 17, 2019
Vancouver
This is also why I said keep him for 2 years and look to move him based on performance/Value then. Im fine with what he makes now. But hes gotta show more or we would be better to move him then pay him 6 million.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Sorry. Ill rephrase.
I wouldnt want to give him anymore than hes getting now. Yes, his potential to put up higher numbers and make more is certainly there. So. When he demonstrates superstar ability, lets come back to this in 2 years time.

He's only making $3.8M now, and $6M isn't "superstar" money by current NHL standards.

I agree with DVM that Rakell seems more like a complementary scoring forward right now, which is kind of unfortunate, and not a player you break the bank for. But I think you're a bit behind on the NHL's current salary trends if you think Rakell's contributions, even on a good value contract, place him below $4M. Or that getting $6M is only deserved for players of superstar ability.

ReptilianQuack

Jan 17, 2019
Vancouver
Hes def a complimentary player right now. He would have to get a lot better to warrent 6 million though. A lot. 6 million for Rakell would set this team back even further. Unless something changes in his play....

Third liners do get this kind of money. They shouldnt. An it hurts those teams that do it.

ReptilianQuack

Jan 17, 2019
Vancouver
Id also like to restate that he is one of the guys I dont want to move right now. Theres a ceiling he may not have reached.
However, in 2 years, I wouldnt give him 6 god dam million. Unless he improves. Which I hope he does.

Last edited:
Reactions: robbieboy3686

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Sorry. Ill rephrase.
Skinner made 9 million... and id say hes pretty in thr ball park of what rakell is.

Minimum rakell is getting 7year 42 mil... and thats if he takes a discount to stay here. Personally i think hell get closer to 50

Anything less is an absolute steal for BM(or whoever our gm is).... rakell is a compliment top 6 winger... but stylistically hell fit with a lot of centers... and young enough to become a leader up front.... out of all our middle age forwards hes the 1 to keep, as he prob helps transistion a guy like zegras to the nhl.

ReptilianQuack

Jan 17, 2019
Vancouver
Skinner is over paid. But, Im not gonna argue the insane contracts. An I want Rakell to become the player I feel comfortable giving that money too. I hope hes a Duck for that long. Maybe 4-5 yr deal.
My concern: The teams biggest problem right now is the 12.5 million on 3 guys that wont play for us again. Or the 13.5 next year on them. The bad contracts. 2 years from now this team may or may not want to give Rakell that deal. So If I seem skeptic, Im sorry. But were in a bad position now because of certain deals.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Man, I wish this team have valuable trade pieces that made sense to move. Stinks that we are in a “re-build” but we have players who are trash, guys that likely should be a part of the re-build, or Getzlaf.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I would pay $7m a year for a few years of prime Rakell. I'm not gonna give him a 7-year deal when he hits free agency at 29.

I'd still trade him though. If you wanna get value for guys, you gotta trade them while they still have value. If it hurts a little to think of letting him go, that's the time to do it, because that's the time you'll actually get something for him.

If we're gonna be stuck in the duldrums for awhile, and it sure looks like we are, we might as well trade those 24-26 guys who will be looking for big contracts right as well start to turn the corner. And we might as well do it now while they have some years of cheap control and are young enough to be enticing. Waiting until they are 28, impending FA and getting a third-rounder for them seems like a waste.

That's Rakell, Kase and Ritchie.

Silfverberg, Henrique, Getzlaf, Gibson, Lindholm can be your "veterans to help the transition, avoid full-tank" guys.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I would pay $7m a year for a few years of prime Rakell. I'm not gonna give him a 7-year deal when he hits free agency at 29.

I'd still trade him though. If you wanna get value for guys, you gotta trade them while they still have value. If it hurts a little to think of letting him go, that's the time to do it, because that's the time you'll actually get something for him.

If we're gonna be stuck in the duldrums for awhile, and it sure looks like we are, we might as well trade those 24-26 guys who will be looking for big contracts right as well start to turn the corner. And we might as well do it now while they have some years of cheap control and are young enough to be enticing. Waiting until they are 28, impending FA and getting a third-rounder for them seems like a waste.

That's Rakell, Kase and Ritchie.

Silfverberg, Henrique, Getzlaf, Gibson, Lindholm can be your "veterans to help the transition, avoid full-tank" guys.
I don't get the desire to sell off good players. Deals like that are likely to net us returns similar to what Montour got us. That just sets us back further. We Don't need to acquire a bunch of picks as BM hasn't really spent many of them. We have tons of Depth support talent. All we need is a few high end guys. It looks like Zegras could be one and if we play bad enough this year we likely get another(which many around here seem to think). If anything the young middle talent takes longer to produce and ours is 2-3 years in development. The time seems to actually be pretty decent to me. If we make trades they are to address organizational weakness. Not to "accumulate assets."

Reactions: Hey234 and Bergey37

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
4 wins in the last 19 games

Bob needs to try and get off that Henrique contract and if someone will overpay for Rakell I'm listening, by the time we're decent again he's going to be a UFA. We don't have very many valuable players that we would potentially move

when you're talking overpayment for rakell, what would that be from boston? i don't watch
the ducks too often - does rakell play better on the left or the right side? or is that negligible?
i would guess silfverberg was their target last spring but now i would think either kase or
rakell based on needs (right shot RW)

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Imo trades like that help us get middle talent and we have plenty of it. I just don't see a need for it right now.
We got Brayden Tracey out of that trade (1st round draft pick from BUF) and he looks like a walking point producer. Not sure if i'd consider him a "middle talent"

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
We got Brayden Tracey out of that trade (1st round draft pick from BUF) and he looks like a walking point producer. Not sure if i'd consider him a "middle talent"
he's just another prospect people are over hyping because he's putting up points in his league. But he's not a otherworldly talent, so he's just another prospect like Steel, Terry, Comtois. I'm not going to excited for him until he comes into the NHL and actually does something unlike our current young players.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
he's just another prospect people are over hyping because he's putting up points in his league. But he's not a otherworldly talent, so he's just another prospect like Steel, Terry, Comtois. I'm not going to excited for him until he comes into the NHL and actually does something unlike our current young players.
Yeah, the hype on HF for anybody without NHL experience can be overbearing at times. Every team has guys who look good at lower levels. Until they do it here it's nothing more than wishful thinking.

I'm as as disappointed as anybody that Steel and Terry haven't looked better this year. But it doesn't mean they are the next Etem (yet) and it certainly doesn't mean that guys like Tracey are the new holy grail. I really don't know what people were expecting this year. It was always going to be a transition where the best to be expected was to squeak into the playoffs while gaining valuable experience. Less than the best is hardly a huge surprise.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
This is kind of my point. Sure we might find a Pasternak but more likely its more of the same which we have plenty of. BM hasn't really depleted his pool of assets like most teams going into a rebuild by selling off first and second rounders on rentals. And just because our guys are struggling now doesn't mean they wont figure it out.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

ReptilianQuack

Jan 17, 2019
Vancouver
In the next 2-3 years:
We could blow things up.
Make minor moves/picks.
Do nothing and wait for cap space/player development
We will not be a playoff team in this time frame baring drastic measures.

We all seem indifferent on what method and moves we want to see. But we can all agree, expected or not, this isnt pretty. And if we dont agree on that, Idk what to tell you.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Yeah, the hype on HF for anybody without NHL experience can be overbearing at times. Every team has guys who look good at lower levels. Until they do it here it's nothing more than wishful thinking.

I'm as as disappointed as anybody that Steel and Terry haven't looked better this year. But it doesn't mean they are the next Etem (yet) and it certainly doesn't mean that guys like Tracey are the new holy grail. I really don't know what people were expecting this year. It was always going to be a transition where the best to be expected was to squeak into the playoffs while gaining valuable experience. Less than the best is hardly a huge surprise.
Pretty much this. I believed before the season that we could make the POs if the kids started clicking; the fact that they haven't probably dashes those hopes. But it doesn't mean that I'm prepared to give up on them. Those who want to "blow it up" are saying the kids won't amount to anything, and that's just plain wrong. The org has committed to them and they are making incremental gains; there's still more than half a season left for them to start getting it together. May not be enough for the POs, but it's be great to see them start finding themselves. Add Zegras next year and there's a solid base to move forward with. Patience is hard, even for Bob (see Stephens' Athletic article today), but that's what we need right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad