Speculation: 2019-20 Roster, Cap, Trade Discussion (MOD WARNING POST #542)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Pretty much this. I believed before the season that we could make the POs if the kids started clicking; the fact that they haven't probably dashes those hopes. But it doesn't mean that I'm prepared to give up on them. Those who want to "blow it up" are saying the kids won't amount to anything, and that's just plain wrong. The org has committed to them and they are making incremental gains; there's still more than half a season left for them to start getting it together. May not be enough for the POs, but it's be great to see them start finding themselves. Add Zegras next year and there's a solid base to move forward with. Patience is hard, even for Bob (see Stephens' Athletic article today), but that's what we need right now.
Yeah. There's a a lot of hockey left to play and a lot yet to learn about the players and coach. Things could still start trending up and heading in the right direction with some of these guys even if the playoffs are out. And although I didn't mention it before, there should be a lot of pressure on Bob this off season to figure out what steps to take going forward. Being a transition year doesn't mean the year doesn't count. It shouldn't mean we do nothing and go into next year like this year never happened. Maybe one or more of theses guys become trade material or not as we see what they can do at this level and how they adapt.

I don't know what the answers are, but I know there is a lot happening this year and the final W/L record is the least important thing to come out of this season. Bob really needs to step up after the season and start making the right moves to get the ball rolling for next year.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah. There's a a lot of hockey left to play and a lot yet to learn about the players and coach. Things could still start trending up and heading in the right direction with some of these guys even if the playoffs are out. And although I didn't mention it before, there should be a lot of pressure on Bob this off season to figure out what steps to take going forward. Being a transition year doesn't mean the year doesn't count. It shouldn't mean we do nothing and go into next year like this year never happened. Maybe one or more of theses guys become trade material or not as we see what they can do at this level and how they adapt.

I don't know what the answers are, but I know there is a lot happening this year and the final W/L record is the least important thing to come out of this season. Bob really needs to step up after the season and start making the right moves to get the ball rolling for next year.
Ive lost all faith in bob.... I think its time to move on from him... I just don't think he is the right guy to fix the problems he created.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Ive lost all faith in bob.... I think its time to move on from him... I just don't think he is the right guy to fix the problems he created.
Fine. Put it on Henry if you want. My point, not to misunderstood, is that management has to use this year wisely and build off of it for the future. Sitting on our ass going into next year is totally unacceptable. Whether it's Bob, or a replacement, next summer will be management's turn to show what they can do to help this transition. I understand them not doing anything this year while everything and everybody gets evaluated. I will not buy into repeating the process next year. I don't expect to see a cup contender next year, but I damn well expect to see changes made based on lessons learned this year. And that falls squarely on Bob/Henry.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
what I was expecting this year: exactly what we had except Terry and Steel are average instead of awful, maybe one of our young D look decent, and Gibson is godlike.

if we had all that, we would be fringe playoff contenders

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Has anyone asked Eric Stephens if he’s asked GM BM recently what his evaluation or plan is given that we are now almost half way through season ? I don’t have Twitter, but if someone can tweet Stephens about this. Would definitely be interesting . Ty

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Skinner made 9 million... and id say hes pretty in thr ball park of what rakell is.

Minimum rakell is getting 7year 42 mil... and thats if he takes a discount to stay here. Personally i think hell get closer to 50

Anything less is an absolute steal for BM(or whoever our gm is).... rakell is a compliment top 6 winger... but stylistically hell fit with a lot of centers... and young enough to become a leader up front.... out of all our middle age forwards hes the 1 to keep, as he prob helps transistion a guy like zegras to the nhl.
He’s also made a noticeable effort to play physical. Which to me says a lot

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Is Eakins on the hot seat or not? I can't figure out if his coaching style is working or not.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Lol yes. He'll be the absolute last person to give up on Eakins, just like he was the other three times.

And it would be insane to do so after 30 some odd games when the players all seem to love him and have bought into his system. We just dont have the talent the put the puck in the net, even though we are in most of the games we play.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Is Eakins on the hot seat or not? I can't figure out if his coaching style is working or not.

Are you asking if Murray is already thinking about moving away from him? Because at this point, that might cost Murray his job.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
The last Stephens article on the Athletic makes me think that they're willing to stick this out. Sounded like Bob wants to tinker but the staff is helping to keep him patient.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Cliff notes plz
Bob: “These guys talk me off the ledge all the time. It’s just not in my nature. You want to do things immediately.”

He talked about the recent injuries to Ritchie and Terry and how he felt both hits were unnecessary. That the league has been so focused on protecting against head shots that other dangerous plays are creeping into the game and they might not be getting the attention they should. This lead to the discussion on Terry specifically and how the staff felt that it was a massive blow as they felt he was on the verge. Taking more shots, controlling pucks better and making plays.
This lead to a section regarding keeping the veterans invested. They want to continually show growth to keep building.
Stephens says Murray doesn't want to deviate from the plan by going after big names for the sake of "optics" and hates the idea of tanking on purpose. He's willing to address organizational weakness if he can like he did with Gudbranson or the attempt to get Faulk/Shattenkirk.
Lastly Stephens talks about how Murray sold the owners on the plan during his extension talks and how they have to stay the course and how ownership has been supportive.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Bob: “These guys talk me off the ledge all the time. It’s just not in my nature. You want to do things immediately.”

He talked about the recent injuries to Ritchie and Terry and how he felt both hits were unnecessary. That the league has been so focused on protecting against head shots that other dangerous plays are creeping into the game and they might not be getting the attention they should. This lead to the discussion on Terry specifically and how the staff felt that it was a massive blow as they felt he was on the verge. Taking more shots, controlling pucks better and making plays.
This lead to a section regarding keeping the veterans invested. They want to continually show growth to keep building.
Stephens says Murray doesn't want to deviate from the plan by going after big names for the sake of "optics" and hates the idea of tanking on purpose. He's willing to address organizational weakness if he can like he did with Gudbranson or the attempt to get Faulk/Shattenkirk.
Lastly Stephens talks about how Murray sold the owners on the plan during his extension talks and how they have to stay the course and how ownership has been supportive.
Good summary.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019

I understand the rebuild/reload/retool or whatever it might be called. I am just not sure if Anaheim can afford to be patient like some other teams/markets can afford to be. I could be incorrect but can they afford to wait three years to turn it around? Season ticket sales, advertising it all factors into the bottom line. Just wondering if they plan to clean house at the trade deadline or just hold the course.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Fine. Put it on Henry if you want. My point, not to misunderstood, is that management has to use this year wisely and build off of it for the future. Sitting on our ass going into next year is totally unacceptable. Whether it's Bob, or a replacement, next summer will be management's turn to show what they can do to help this transition. I understand them not doing anything this year while everything and everybody gets evaluated. I will not buy into repeating the process next year. I don't expect to see a cup contender next year, but I damn well expect to see changes made based on lessons learned this year. And that falls squarely on Bob/Henry.
How patient will season ticket holders be. How long did it take Buffalo and the Islander to get a somewhat competitive team?

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I understand the rebuild/reload/retool or whatever it might be called. I am just not sure if Anaheim can afford to be patient like some other teams/markets can afford to be. I could be incorrect but can they afford to wait three years to turn it around? Season ticket sales, advertising it all factors into the bottom line. Just wondering if they plan to clean house at the trade deadline or just hold the course.

They can't really "clean house" on the TDL, regardless of whether or not they want to. We just don't have the merchandise -- Getzlaf has a full NMC, couple of guys are locked into long term deals with NTCs, doesn't make sense to start selling the younger guys when the plan is to get younger. We don't have any high profile upcoming UFAs either (Miller doesn't count, he won't go anywhere for family reasons).

There's still almost 50 games left in the calendar, let's at least wait until the end of the season before we start painting doomsday scenarios. It isn't impossible that the team starts clicking and turns things around. I believe the Blues were dead last in the west (or at least close to that) sometime last year, weren't they..?

Reactions: KyleJRM

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
The whole "Anaheim can't afford to rebuild" thing is so overblown. Trying to avoid it at all costs is far more likely to cause long term damage to the team then sucking it up and accepting a couple of bad seasons.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Bob has a long term plan. At this moment, we're waiting for the youths (youts... sorry... My Cousin Vinny flashbacks) to develop because we're lacking prospect capital in different capacities. We do not have any top defensive prospects. We have a few forward prospects not in the NHL that are still developing. Because we don't have enough NHL players, we kinda have to hold onto most of our players for the time being.

The youth movement was pushed earlier than expected. Bob was expecting to still have Kesler, Eaves, and Perry still around. They would be a bridge for Rakell, Silf, Kase, and Ritchie. Those four would then be the bridge for Steel, Jones, Comtois, and Terry. Since not all prospects make it, Bob added Lundestrom, Groulx, Zegras, and Tracey. Defensively, Bob was always gonna rely on his three amigos of Lindholm, Manson, and Fowler. Then he gambled that a mix of veterans and either Larsson or Guhle would rise to the competition - it hasn't worked out. Yet, he was able to secure a top-4 with the addition of Gudzilla for virtually nothing.

Bob is trying to keep the youth mostly intact because there really isn't much else he can do because we lack a lot of NHL forwards on our team right now. From the next burgeoning lot of Terry, Steel, Jones, Comtois, Lundestrom, Groulx, Zegras, and Tracey, a couple of them should pan out just by the odds. There's five first rounders in that bunch, two second rounders, and a fifth rounder (Terry). I guess Bob and his scouting staff still hasn't figured out how to draft forwards yet; and I was premature on believing we turned the corner with both Steel and Terry producing in their second call-up last year as well as Comtois going mad crazy in Juniors along with Lundestrom tearing it up across the pond.

What Bob accomplished last year in 26 games was amazing. We've fallen off that path. Part of the reason why are injuries. Lost Manson, Lindholm, Kase, Ritchie, and Terry. I read an OC article that added Grant and Larsson to the infirmary recently too. Another reason is Gibby isn't playing like his old self and we need Vezina Gibby to steal a lot of games. We've been involved in 15 one-goal games, but only won 5 of those games thus far. The special teams has on both the PP and PK need to be better if we're to steal games this year, which I attribute mostly on coaching.

This past off-season, I thought we were gunning for the playoffs with GM Bob saying there's competition at the NHL level for the kids. But in the past month, GM Bob has gone on to say he really wants to develop the kids at the NHL level - which isn't what I was expecting and was disheartened. This year is a growing pains year as a few of our prospects are going through sophomore slumps in Steel, Terry, and Jones.

It's not a plan I was subscribing for, but I understand the plan. And if Gibby isn't up to his superstar old self, then we're gonna be screwed until Dostal shows up in a couple of years. LoL

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Said it once and I'll say it again - Bob is lucky he's the GM of the Ducks and not the Rangers/Leafs/Oilers. This sort of patience would NOT be tolerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad