2019-20 Prospects Thread

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
We don't need any centre prospects we have Adam Gaudette.
It might be a long-shot, but maybe Linus Karlsson's progress as a center in the Allsvenskan is the reason they felt they could part with Madden?..Same age as Madden, 20, but a bit bigger........might be grasping at straws though.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
It might be a long-shot, but maybe Linus Karlsson's progress as a center in the Allsvenskan is the reason they felt they could part with Madden?..Same age as Madden, 20, but a bit bigger........might be grasping at straws though.

Benning said he envisions Madden as a winger in the NHL. Based on the right wing depth chart, it's easy to see why they felt they had the organisational depth on right wing to make this move.

Boeser- 1st line winger
Toffoli- will push Brock for his 1st line icetime and spot on the 1st unit PP
Virtanen- arguably the most improved player on the team. Has really emerged as a solid middle 6 winger
Leivo- strong defensive fundamentals and solid production from the middle 6
Podkolzin- top prospect in the organisation right now. An absolute horse that will be tough to beat out for a roster spot
Lind- major bounceback season. Back on the radar as a middle 6 right wing
MacEwen- Benning said he feels Zach is an NHL player now. Guy has the size and presence to be a bottom 6 option
Ferland- 3 more years under contract. If he isn't done, another guy Madden would be hard pressed to beat out for a spot
Sutter- 1 more year under contract

There is no tougher road to the NHL for a young Canuck prospect than on right wing.

Reactions: Szechwan

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
^^^
Id agree with benning that he wouldnt be a center in the nhl, due to his size hed have to be moved to the wing.

podz, and virtanens development this year made him expendable as a trade peice.

if you consider hed probably go back for another year, and then probably gets a year in the ahl hed be pushing for nhl time the same time podz arrives ir a year after

i dont like the deal because i dont think they are ready for a long run, but if this helps them in it gets the young guys some playoff exp before a real window starts then its probably worth it especially if you get toffoli to re-sign as hes a legit top 6 now

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sound like 'reverse spin' to me for having to give up a good prospect, by hinting Madden can't play center in the NHL. Brayden Point stands 5'10" and tips the scales at 166, and he's just fine at center ice for the Lightning. In fact he'd look awfully good in a Canucks uni.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Sound like 'reverse spin' to me for having to give up a good prospect, by hinting Madden can't play center in the NHL. Brayden Point stands 5'10" and tips the scales at 166, and he's just fine at center ice for the Lightning. In fact he'd look awfully good in a Canucks uni.
I think we will soon see a certain grouping of fans here start posting why Madden will never make it, he was redundant, couldnt make it as a centre, hates the rain, bad attitude, etc

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
I think we will soon see a certain grouping of fans here start posting why Madden will never make it, he was redundant, couldnt make it as a centre, hates the rain, bad attitude, etc
im more than certain he will play as a 2nd or 3rd line winger. i didnt see him as a center on this team though

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
im more than certain he will play as a 2nd or 3rd line winger. i didnt see him as a center on this team though
Basically the same thing posters were saying about Adam Gaudette....the Canucks even tried him on the wing. But he's a center, pure and simple...and so is Madden. So if the Canucks plan was to try to make a winger out of him, they were better off trading him.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think that we can all agree that we gave up a good prospect.
I just hope people have an open mind and are able to assess the trade based on how it actually turns out.
We saw too many posters, including myself, calling the Miller trade a massive failure and then revising their view once they say Miller play. I'm going to wait this time until I see Toffoli and whether he re-signs.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I think that we can all agree that we gave up a good prospect.
I just hope people have an open mind and are able to assess the trade based on how it actually turns out.
We saw too many posters, including myself, calling the Miller trade a massive failure and then revising their view once they say Miller play. I'm going to wait this time until I see Toffoli and whether he re-signs.
I think most of us will pal, Ive been wrong a plenty a times on here before including the Miller trade and I sure as hell hope Im wrong on this one too

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think most of us will pal, Ive been wrong a plenty a times on here before including the Miller trade and I sure as hell hope Im wrong on this one too
The thing about trades like the one for J.T. Miller, is that you can never judge them from one season. If Miller continues to light it up for the Canucks for the next 2-3 seasons, then I'm fine with it provided it isn't a lottery pick. But the Devils now own the Canucks first-rounder in either 2020 or 2021. So it'll be interesting to see who they pick, and track his progress as a pro.

I remember posters saying the same thing when Benning acquired Sven Baertschi from the Flames for a second rounder. The spin was that Baertschi was closer to being an NHL player than the second round draft pick. But that pick turned into Rasmus Anderson, who is a mainstay on the Flames blueline and just signed a four-year extension. Meantime, Baertschi is costing the Canucks $3.5m a season to play in the minors.

So unless the Canucks re-sign Tofoli (unlikely because of their cap situation), then Madden and a second rounder have basically been flushed away for a '25-game rental'. And of course it they do re-sign him, it'll cost them another fourth rounder. At that price, he better be worth it.

Reactions: vanuck and B-rock

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Just so we are clear, even though Miller has played very well and is a solid player, this trade can very much still be questioned in certain scenarios. Like if it was the right move at the right time for the right team.

Like if the Canucks fall short and miss the playoffs....You have given up Tyler Madden, first and 2nd picks and you are a team that has missed the playoffs for 5 seasons.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
The team still gets credit for drafting madden right? He is a 3rd round 2018 pick who bought back a top 6 forward(with a 2nd)20 months later. That is a positive for the organization as most 2018 3rd rounders are now worth little. Good job by scouts, hope trade is worth it, but the did get good value for pick. If this saves playoffs this pick could make canuck owners millions and Benning his job. We will seehow next 20 plus games go.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
The team still gets credit for drafting madden right? He is a 3rd round 2018 pick who bought back a top 6 forward(with a 2nd)20 months later. That is a positive for the organization as most 2018 3rd rounders are now worth little. Good job by scouts, hope trade is worth it, but the did get good value for pick. If this saves playoffs this pick could make canuck owners millions and Benning his job. We will seehow next 20 plus games go.

So we should be happy to give up Madden and a 2nd in a good draft we have no first pick, for 23 games of Toffoli so Benning can get into the playoffs and save his job, so we then we have more years of his mis management? Do i have this right?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just Wowzer!....watching those Harvard-Yale highlights, Jack Rathbone is looking Quinn Hughes-like. A tremendous skater and particularly dangerous joining the rush.....and that one-timer of his is 'money' for any d-man.

As disappointing as it was to lose Madden, I'd have to say I'd be even more bummed out if it had been Rathbone instead. This kid might be close to being the most 'guaranteed NHL prospect' the Canucks have right now, other than maybe Podkolzin.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
So we should be happy to give up Madden and a 2nd in a good draft we have no first pick, for 23 games of Toffoli so Benning can get into the playoffs and save his job, so we then we have more years of his mis management? Do i have this right?
If I watch playoff games. plus we guarantee non lottery first and our young players get playoff experience that is a win for the 2018 68th pick and 2020 50 something pick. Not to mention possible resign and dumping Schaller. So yes happy. Negative side is may miss playoffs and Madden becomes star. If Canucks make playoffs it was worth the risk as going with current lineup was a loser.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The thing about trades like the one for J.T. Miller, is that you can never judge them from one season. If Miller continues to light it up for the Canucks for the next 2-3 seasons, then I'm fine with it provided it isn't a lottery pick. But the Devils now own the Canucks first-rounder in either 2020 or 2021. So it'll be interesting to see who they pick, and track his progress as a pro.

I remember posters saying the same thing when Benning acquired Sven Baertschi from the Flames for a second rounder. The spin was that Baertschi was closer to being an NHL player than the second round draft pick. But that pick turned into Rasmus Anderson, who is a mainstay on the Flames blueline and just signed a four-year extension. Meantime, Baertschi is costing the Canucks $3.5m a season to play in the minors.

So unless the Canucks re-sign Tofoli (unlikely because of their cap situation), then Madden and a second rounder have basically been flushed away for a '25-game rental'. And of course it they do re-sign him, it'll cost them another fourth rounder. At that price, he better be worth it.
I hear you. But who the Devils pick really has no impact on my assessment of the trade. If it’s a later first round pick I’ll continue to like the trade. I agree that it’s interesting to follow though.

Reactions: Canucks5551

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Just Wowzer!....watching those Harvard-Yale highlights, Jack Rathbone is looking Quinn Hughes-like. A tremendous skater and particularly dangerous joining the rush.....and that one-timer of his is 'money' for any d-man.

As disappointing as it was to lose Madden, I'd have to say I'd be even more bummed out if it had been Rathbone instead. This kid might be close to being the most 'guaranteed NHL prospect' the Canucks have right now, other than maybe Podkolzin.

Don't get too enamoured, real good odds that Trader Jim will flip him for some bum at the deadline...and will probably throw in next years' 2nd rounder for good measure as well.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I took a scan through the Canucks prospect list and they appear to have only two centres in the system: Carson Focht and Arvid Costmar. Costmar is tearing up the Swedish J20 league (41 points in 24 games according to EliteProspects) and Focht is doing so-so with the Hitmen. Maybe we'll see Focht in Utica next year. Costmar turns 19 in July and will probably stay in Sweden for another year at least.
Linus Karlsson too I believe.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Dude I told you I'm not playing. Scurry along, try your shtick on another mark. I know this game. Use absurdist hyperliteralism as a cover for arguing in bad faith, try to get the thread derailed into a pointless quagmire of he said she said which goes off on a tangent for two days until the mods delete it. I'm not doing it this time.

If other people want to answer my question about whether or not they still expect OJ to get games this year I'd be curious to find out what the general consensus is.

I don't think Juolevi will get into an NHL game this year. They will keep him out of the limelight. Then again, I didn't think he would get games this year going into the season. His injuries are just too much of a concern and they have to be a bit more deliberate in how they choose to advance him.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Has Karlsson played centre at all since the Canucks traded for him?

Everytime I have checked in on him he's been on the right wing.
Ah, that's probably the case then. I just assumed he played centre since that was what he was listed as and didn't recall seeing anything about him playing on the wing.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Out of curiosity who do you guys believe the 7 NHL prospects that Benning referenced are?

Podkolzin Tryamkin Rafferty MacEwen Brisebois DiPietro and Lind is my best guess

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Out of curiosity who do you guys believe the 7 NHL prospects that Benning referenced are?

Podkolzin Tryamkin Rafferty MacEwen Brisebois DiPietro and Lind is my best guess

Not sure that Tryamkin is considered a prospect. And I would expect Rathbone to on that list for sure, probably ahead of all but Podkolzin and dipietro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad