2019-20 Prospects Thread

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
McDonough with the EN goal at the end of the third.

Rathbone ties it up, now on to OT.

Great night for our NCAA guys!

Edit: Harvard pulled the goalie at 18:33 and Rathbone scored six seconds later :)
You can get by with below average skating, if you think the game well. Ala Tanner Pearson.

Aiden just has that sense where he takes the lines in the ice you want him to take. Something a lot of young players don’t do.

Yes, I'm starting to see the similarities...

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Fri Feb 14

AHL

Utica 2 Syracuse 3
DiPietro 39 saves on 42 shots

Goldobin 18 (Jasek, Camper)
Boucher 28

ECHL

Toledo 3 Kalamazoo 4 (OT)
Teves 1 goal, 1 assist, even
Kielly 35 saves on 38 shots

NCAA

Michigan 5 Michigan State 1
Lockwood 1 assist, +1

Connecticut 3 Maine 2
Thiessen did not play

Northeastern 3 UMass Lowell 0
Madden 1 goal (19th), +1
McDonough 0 points, +1

Union 2 Cornell 5
Malone 1 goal (2nd), +1

Yale 4 Harvard 4 (OT)
Rathbone 1 goal (5th), 2 assists, +2

OHL

Flint 5 Saginaw 4
Keppen did not play

S_C

Reactions: vanuck

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Everyone talks about how bad our WHL scouting has been for the last few decades, but how come our OHL scouting doesn't get more flack? We seem to use a lot of relatively high picks on OHL players that don't seem to pan out.

Gadjovich, Juolevi, Gaunce, Jensen, Cassels, etc.
The only players we've had success with were traded away (McCann, Hodgson) and Horvat.

I think it's due to the almost total lack of results from the W going back decades, whereas from the O at least you've got a few higher-profile wins like those 3 you mentioned. That being said, I don't think they've found any NHL'ers from the O outside the 1st round since Bieksa in 2001 or something so you're right in that they deserve more criticism in that regard.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Kevin Bieksa wasn't an OHL player; he was drafted from Bowling Green University. The last OHL players from outside the 1st round with more than a handful of games in the NHL were Matt Cooke (1046GP) and Harold Druken (146GP) in 1997, unless you count Frank Corrado's 76GP. Yeah. It's been dire.

Last edited:

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Sat Feb 15

ECHL

Brampton 8 Kalamazoo 5
Kielly 12 saves on 13 shots in relief of Hildebrand

NCAA

Connecticut 0 Maine 1 (OT)
Thiessen did not play

UMass Lowell 1 Northeastern 2
Madden did not play
McDonough 0 points, -1

Resselaer 2 Cornell 4
Malone 0 points, even

Brown 1 Harvard 1 (OT)
Rathbone 1 goal (6th), +1

OHL

Guelph 3 Flint 4 (SO)
Keppen did not play

North Bay 4 Barrie 0
Silovs was the back-up

WHL

Calgary 4 Prince George 2
Woo 1 assist, even
Focht 1 goal (28th), 1 assist, +3

S_C

Methinks McDonough's production is about to suffer ...

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
Kevin Bieksa wasn't an OHL player; he was drafted from Bowling Green University. The last OHL players from outside the 1st round with more than a handful of games in the NHL were Matt Cooke (1046GP) and Harold Druken (146GP) in 1997, unless you count Frank Corrado's 76GP. Yeah. It's been dire.

The statement could even be amended to:

The last Major Jr players from outside the 1st round with more than a handful of games in the NHL were Matt Cooke (1046GP) and Harold Druken (146GP) in 1997, unless you count Frank Corrado's 76GP. Yeah. It's been dire.

While the team has continually drafted later round picks from Major Jr without success, the majority of the NHL'ers come from NCAA/ NCAA verbally committed players.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
You could have looked this up for yourself but he's been playing. He's only got a single point in his last 6 games but his season stats are 7g - 6a - 13p in 30 GP.

just strange that we keep such close tabs on some prospects but nobody is following his season, i for sure could have looked it up and reported it on this forum but that is being selfish, what if somebody else wanted to do that and I took that away from them ......:: totally totally selfish of me to do that

Reactions: stampedingviking

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Whoops, you're totally right! Thought he was an OHL product for some reason. But yeah 1997 is pretty far back...

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
The statement could even be amended to:

The last Major Jr players from outside the 1st round with more than a handful of games in the NHL were Matt Cooke (1046GP) and Harold Druken (146GP) in 1997, unless you count Frank Corrado's 76GP. Yeah. It's been dire.

While the team has continually drafted later round picks from Major Jr without success, the majority of the NHL'ers come from NCAA/ NCAA verbally committed players.

Something about our CHL scouting outside of the 1st round just seems very, very broken.

The last year we found NHL'ers from the W was 1995 when we drafted Peter Schaefer and Brent Sopel.

For the Q the last time was Ronnie Stern... all the way back in 1986 if I'm looking this up correctly. It's been an absolute wasteland for a long time.

Like if you went back and simply took whichever guy left on the board had the highest PPG, Sham Sharron style, you probably could've found at least a few players.

Last edited:

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
Welp. EK just broke his finger and he's done for the year, so does this mean Madden's season is done?

4-6 weeks is what I'm seeing.

4 weeks: Hockey East Tournament
5 weeks: Hockey East Championship (if NU advances)
6 weeks: NCAA regionals (if NU maintains pairwise in top 14-15)

There's a slight chance we see Madden again this year, the current roster just needs to steal a game or two.

NHL season ends first week of April so it's weird they're ruling Karlsson out so early, maybe he needs a break.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
4 weeks: Hockey East Tournament
5 weeks: Hockey East Championship (if NU advances)
6 weeks: NCAA regionals (if NU maintains pairwise in top 14-15)

There's a slight chance we see Madden again this year, the current roster just needs to steal a game or two.

NHL season ends first week of April so it's weird they're ruling Karlsson out so early, maybe he needs a break.

Welp, turns out he is done for the year for us.

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
Since the calendar flipped to 2020, Calgary Hitmen defender Jett Woo has one goal and 20 points in 21 games played.
In 33 games prior, he had six goals and 19 points.

Not sure when that other defenceman got hurt, elevating Woo's ice time in offensive situations, but it's encouraging that he can still produce at a point-per-game rate when given the opportunity.

I've seen the words 'long shot' attached to Woo's name more and more this season as the shine has worn off, but I'm still in on a player who can reportedly skate and defend well, play a physical game and have the puck skills to produce at a pretty solid rate in major junior hockey.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I took a scan through the Canucks prospect list and they appear to have only two centres in the system: Carson Focht and Arvid Costmar. Costmar is tearing up the Swedish J20 league (41 points in 24 games according to EliteProspects) and Focht is doing so-so with the Hitmen. Maybe we'll see Focht in Utica next year. Costmar turns 19 in July and will probably stay in Sweden for another year at least.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I took a scan through the Canucks prospect list and they appear to have only two centres in the system: Carson Focht and Arvid Costmar. Costmar is tearing up the Swedish J20 league (41 points in 24 games according to EliteProspects) and Focht is doing so-so with the Hitmen. Maybe we'll see Focht in Utica next year. Costmar turns 19 in July and will probably stay in Sweden for another year at least.

We don't need any centre prospects we have Adam Gaudette.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad