2019-20 Prospects Thread

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
At this point shouldn't we be dangling Juolevi out there as an attachment to a bad contract like Eriksson, Baertschi or Beagle? most NHL GM's aren't smart people and the lure of a (fairly) recent no5 overall pick might still hold a little value round the league

I wanted to do this in 2018 but I don't think he has that kind of value now. The 2016 draft was too long ago.

Reactions: UK Canuck

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Well that's why I asked, to find out. Let's see what people say!
No. Juolevi will not get a game barring 2-3 dmen falling to injuries down the stretch. Games are too critical to test drive a rookie for either a playoff spot or position in the division. He’ll get a really long look in training camp next year and his play in the AHL this season warrants it.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Well, I'm curious for the overall feel of course. I think prior to this season there was a pretty good feel that Juolevi would at least make his debut this year. I think I was on that side of it as well. Suddenly there's only 25 games left and as you said, other defenders have been called up ahead of him. I'd say theres less than a 10% chance now? Would anyone say it's higher than that?

Next year will be the last year of his elc. Getting pretty dicey if he still hasn't played an NHL game.
His injuries have set him back again. It is a good question whether he recovers to what he could have been. He will not play nhl games this year. I hope he progresses over summer.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
At this point shouldn't we be dangling Juolevi out there as an attachment to a bad contract like Eriksson, Baertschi or Beagle? most NHL GM's aren't smart people and the lure of a (fairly) recent no5 overall pick might still hold a little value round the league

Juolevi is near worthless in a trade. He's about one year from being where Derrick Pouliot was in his development curve when the Canucks traded for him. Like, I am not sure that a team would even offer a 2nd round pick for him. Tryamkin, Lind, Rathbone all would carry more trade value than Juolevi IMO.

I think that aside from that 2021 1st the Canucks basically have no sweetener good enough to ditch Eriksson. Maybe Gaudette.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
No. Juolevi will not get a game barring 2-3 dmen falling to injuries down the stretch. Games are too critical to test drive a rookie for either a playoff spot or position in the division. He’ll get a really long look in training camp next year and his play in the AHL this season warrants it.
He might’ve gotten a look had we been our usual lottery pick finish. Not now. I doubt even if our entire top four get hurt he’ll get a look.

Reactions: timw33

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For years, Canuck fans will be haunted by another 'between the skates' goal by Matthew Tkachuk or his combination of abrasiveness and down-low, goal-scoring, that is so sorely absent from this Canuck lineup. And it seems likely that the guy the Canucks picked just before him from the London Knights, Oli Juolevi, will be long-gone plying his trade in Europe.

But that's just the fickle mistress of the NHL entry draft.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Juolevi for Poolparty may make sense for all parties.

Juolevi is toiling away in Utica trying to get his career back on track. Puljujarvi pouted his way back to Finland. No thanks.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
JD Burke comments on the following players:

Madden- had a bad beanpot tournament, however, skill and motor are still very evident. Needs to put on some weight but expects him to be a very good 2/3 C in the NHL that will play both PK and PP. Madden is very very creative and talented. Strength will be biggest question mark.

Mcdonough - Dominated the bean pot tournament, had 4 points in the finals. Skating needs ALOT of work. However, Burke says its because Mcdonough has gone through major growth spurts lately and has been having to adjust every time to different skate sizes. He is 6'3 now. Burke also said that he came away very very impressed with the way Mcdonough forechecks. Despite his skating, adavanced anylytics is showing that Mcdonough is the BEST forechecker in the NCAA. Very cerebral and poised.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Everyone talks about how bad our WHL scouting has been for the last few decades, but how come our OHL scouting doesn't get more flack? We seem to use a lot of relatively high picks on OHL players that don't seem to pan out.

Gadjovich, Juolevi, Gaunce, Jensen, Cassels, etc.
The only players we've had success with were traded away (McCann, Hodgson) and Horvat.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
JD Burke comments on the following players:

Madden- had a bad beanpot tournament, however, skill and motor are still very evident. Needs to put on some weight but expects him to be a very good 2/3 C in the NHL that will play both PK and PP. Madden is very very creative and talented. Strength will be biggest question mark.

Mcdonough - Dominated the bean pot tournament, had 4 points in the finals. Skating needs ALOT of work. However, Burke says its because Mcdonough has gone through major growth spurts lately and has been having to adjust every time to different skate sizes. He is 6'3 now. Burke also said that he came away very very impressed with the way Mcdonough forechecks. Despite his skating, adavanced anylytics is showing that Mcdonough is the BEST forechecker in the NCAA. Very cerebral and poised.

I watched the one televised game and came away more impressed with Mcdonough than Madden. Tough to put a finger on why Aiden looked so good, he just seemed to play a very pro style game. Big, toolsy and took very good lines on the ice. No wasted movement and always seemed to be in the right place.

It was only one game, but man did he look like a 1st rd talent...

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Everyone talks about how bad our WHL scouting has been for the last few decades, but how come our OHL scouting doesn't get more flack? We seem to use a lot of relatively high picks on OHL players that don't seem to pan out.

Gadjovich, Juolevi, Gaunce, Jensen, Cassels, etc.
The only players we've had success with were traded away (McCann, Hodgson) and Horvat.
That looks like a pretty decent rate of success to me, especially if you include DiPietro.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I watched the one televised game and came away more impressed with Mcdonough than Madden. Tough to put a finger on why Aiden looked so good, he just seemed to play a very pro style game. Big, toolsy and took very good lines on the ice. No wasted movement and always seemed to be in the right place.

As of right now though, Madden's talents are way more transferable to the pro and NHL level that Mcdonough's. Skating will hold back Mcdonough if he doesnt improve it asap once he gets to the pro level and the puck moves 10x faster

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Juolevi is near worthless in a trade. He's about one year from being where Derrick Pouliot was in his development curve when the Canucks traded for him. Like, I am not sure that a team would even offer a 2nd round pick for him. Tryamkin, Lind, Rathbone all would carry more trade value than Juolevi IMO.

I think that aside from that 2021 1st the Canucks basically have no sweetener good enough to ditch Eriksson. Maybe Gaudette.

But on the bright side, he's one year removed from where Griffin Reinhart was when he got traded... :/

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Is he physical, and can he hold down his spot on the wall easily?

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
As of right now though, Madden's talents are way more transferable to the pro and NHL level that Mcdonough's. Skating will hold back Mcdonough if he doesnt improve it asap once he gets to the pro level and the puck moves 10x faster

You can get by with below average skating, if you think the game well. Ala Tanner Pearson.

Aiden just has that sense where he takes the lines in the ice you want him to take. Something a lot of young players don’t do.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Is he physical, and can he hold down his spot on the wall easily?

Don’t recall him being overtly physical. But he does look big and his strength in battles was good.

Just looks like a pro style player, more so than Madden IMO. Though I likely just caught Madden at a bad time.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Have no idea why some go completely overboard on the results of one hockey tournament. The Beanpot may ba big deal in the Boston area, but you only have to win two games to win the championship.

Madden's total body of work, which includes an impressive WJC and currently the fourth-leading scorer in the NCAA, places him light years ahead of McDonough as pro hockey prospect. He'd be well ahead anyway just by position alone. Far harder to find impact centers than wingers.

That could change I guess if Madden heads back to Northeastern and plateaus a bit and McDonough comes on as a sophomore. But at this writing they're not close imo.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Fri Feb 14

AHL

Utica at Syracuse 4pm

ECHL

Toledo at Kalamazoo 4pm

NCAA

Michigan at Michigan State 3pm
Lockwood

Connecticut at Maine 4pm
Thiessen

Northeastern at UMass Lowell 4pm
Madden
McDonough

Union at Cornell 4pm
Malone

Yale at Harvard 4pm
Rathbone

OHL

Flint at Saginaw 4pm
Keppen

S_C

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Don’t recall him being overtly physical. But he does look big and his strength in battles was good.

Just looks like a pro style player, more so than Madden IMO. Though I likely just caught Madden at a bad time.
Sounds like it, I thought he had some good shifts but if I wasnt just paying attention to the two of em I may have have noticed nothing too special. But thats not his best, and not like he looked bad

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
McDonough with the EN goal at the end of the third.

Rathbone ties it up, now on to OT.

Great night for our NCAA guys!

Edit: Harvard pulled the goalie at 18:33 and Rathbone scored six seconds later :)

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad