Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Don’t think there’s really much for him left to prove in FEL.

He could go the rest of the year not allowing a goal wouldn’t really mean a lot. Time to move up in competition and see what we have.

Reactions: McMetal

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Wow what a season so far for Newhook. Tbh I was kinda bummed when the Avs missed out on Caufield and then passed up on Krebs. Didn't really want Newhook with that pick but he's making me eat my words so far.

Reactions: LTC Pain

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Newhook with a few more good chances in the last two periods. One shorthanded and another good chance from the slot late in the game. BC tied it late. Going to OT 3-3.

I haven't watched the whole game, but Helleson seems solid. Nothing spectacular in the o-zone, but he makes good plays in his own end to shed forechecking pressure.

edit: Maine wins in OT.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Quick question after poking around some draft and prospect rankings,
I did a search but couldn't find a clear answer, so I came to consult the Oracles.

How many games constitute a "completed year" in Juniors regarding the CHL-AHL eligibility agreement (age 20 or 4 years completed in juniors)

Thanks in advance

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
We might have something in Werner guys. He needs to get more consistent though. When he wins he is really good but when he loses he is really bad. Not a lot of in-betweens. Thankfully he has a lot more great games than really bad ones. He needs to reduce the amount of these very bad games quite a bit and he would be near the top of the AHL. I see potential for at least be a solid backup in the NHL.

Currently at 2.81 GAA and .913 SV%.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
There's definitely NHL upside.

He's big and very quick laterally. Those two elements alone mean there's certainly the possibility of an NHL caliber goalie.

Consistency is the key regarding the difference between him becoming a fringe backup who's basically just a #3 NHL guy/solid AHL starter, and being a legit NHL backup or perhaps even better. If he could bring the level of play he brought against the Jets on a nightly basis... You probably find an NHL starter in the future. If he brings the level of play we saw against Edmonton more regularly... Fringe at best is what you get. The likely result is somewhere in between.

All that said. Between Grubauer and Francouz, Werner and Annunen... The Avs have real goaltending depth. Even Miska is a wildcard goalie. He was pretty highly touted when he left college to sign with the Yotes. Probably left too early and it hurt his development but goalies are weird. He's having a nice bounce back year with the Eagles this season and deserves at least another contract with them. Good #4 option as AHL backup right now but perhaps there's even more to his game than that down the road as well.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Quick question after poking around some draft and prospect rankings,
I did a search but couldn't find a clear answer, so I came to consult the Oracles.

How many games constitute a "completed year" in Juniors regarding the CHL-AHL eligibility agreement (age 20 or 4 years completed in juniors)

Thanks in advance
From my recollection it has nothing to do with "completed years" or "number of games". I think you're referring to Timmins and how he was eligible for the AHL at 19 years old correct? There is a weird clause in the CHL/AHL agreement that if a player is 19 years old and will turn 20 THAT year, he is eligible to play in the AHL. Now on the other side in terms of CHL, there are only a certain amount of overagers a team can have, which I believe is three. You can have three in any position, but I believe it is limited to only one goaler per team and those players can legitimately turn 21 years old during any point of the season. I haven't chequed in a while, but during the Memorial Cup you tend to see some teams have 21 year olds' playing for them.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
From my recollection it has nothing to do with "completed years" or "number of games". I think you're referring to Timmins and how he was eligible for the AHL at 19 years old correct? There is a weird clause in the CHL/AHL agreement that if a player is 19 years old and will turn 20 THAT year, he is eligible to play in the AHL. Now on the other side in terms of CHL, there are only a certain amount of overagers a team can have, which I believe is three. You can have three in any position, but I believe it is limited to only one goaler per team and those players can legitimately turn 21 years old during any point of the season. I haven't chequed in a while, but during the Memorial Cup you tend to see some teams have 21 year olds' playing for them.

I was looking at this:
Players drafted and playing for CHL teams are ineligible to play in the professional minor leagues (AHL, ECHL) until they are 20 years old (by December 31st of that year) or have completed four years in major juniors.

I was just curious if there was a similar cutoff points in Juniors that were similar to the 10 game or 40 game rules that exist with regards to NHL contracts and years served

Edit: example would be a player like Byram. Won't fit the 20 year old criteria for the 20-21 season, but did play 11 games in 16-17 for the Giants. If the 11 games in 16-17 "burned" a year in Juniors, he would be completing his 4th CHL season this year and would be AHL eligible next season. (which I think would be an excellent 1 year bridge for him to get stronger and pro experience before joining the Avs)

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I was looking at this:
Players drafted and playing for CHL teams are ineligible to play in the professional minor leagues (AHL, ECHL) until they are 20 years old (by December 31st of that year) or have completed four years in major juniors.

I was just curious if there was a similar cutoff points in Juniors that were similar to the 10 game or 40 game rules that exist with regards to NHL contracts and years served
Interesting find, but I wonder if these rules depend on when/where you're draft. For example, OHL and LHJMQ both draft midgets, whereas WHL draft bantams (which then gets more weird). So players from the OHL and LHJMQ summer draft have every chance to play the entire season with their respected drafted team. In the WHL, however, since it is a year younger players can only play up to - I believe - five games in their rookie season...which is weirder since Matthew Savoie has played 12 games for the Winnipeg Ice this season (perhaps @henchman24 can figure out why). He's the player who registered for expectational status and was denied last season, as the WHL will probably deny 99.9% of players due to drafting an age under from the rest of the CHL. It is also a reason why WHL drafts are so messed up when you look back at them and how players like Alex and Jesse Forsberg as very high picks never amounted to anything.

Reactions: AslanRH

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Interesting find, but I wonder if these rules depend on when/where you're draft. For example, OHL and LHJMQ both draft midgets, whereas WHL draft bantams (which then gets more weird). So players from the OHL and LHJMQ summer draft have every chance to play the entire season with their respected drafted team. In the WHL, however, since it is a year younger players can only play up to - I believe - five games in their rookie season...which is weirder since Matthew Savoie has played 12 games for the Winnipeg Ice this season (perhaps @henchman24 can figure out why). He's the player who registered for expectational status and was denied last season, as the WHL will probably deny 99.9% of players due to drafting an age under from the rest of the CHL. It is also a reason why WHL drafts are so messed up when you look back at them and how players like Alex and Jesse Forsberg as very high picks never amounted to anything.

I edited my post above using Byram as an example.

I've been poking deeper in the Google machine, but still can't find a clear example of any criteria in regards to what qualifies as a season.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Edit: example would be a player like Byram. Won't fit the 20 year old criteria for the 20-21 season, but did play 11 games in 16-17 for the Giants. If the 11 games in 16-17 "burned" a year in Juniors, he would be completing his 4th CHL season this year and would be AHL eligible next season. (which I think would be an excellent 1 year bridge for him to get stronger and pro experience before joining the Avs)
It might be when they turn 16 years old, because asking Google it came up with this from the SJHL...

"In the hockey season immediately following the WHL Bantam Draft, players (who would be considered to be 15 years old) are eligible to play up to five games as “Specially Affiliated Players” and can join their WHL team following the completion of their own team's season."

https://www.sjhl.ca/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2019/09/SDM_Manual_-_2018-19.pdf

Savoie might only be able to play five games as long as he's fifteen and when he turns sixteen he can play as many games as possible. Again I think it has more to do with age than a certain amount of games. 16 + 4 automatically equals 20 years old and eligible for the AHL, but as I mentioned if you're a 19 year old turning 20 that season and started from 16 years old you should be eligible for the AHL.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The four years is there for the exceptional kids. They play their 15-16-17-18 year old seasons and are then eligible for the AHL at 19 instead of 20. Basically all other leagues also operate on the year instead of the September cutoff. which is there in the NHL so they don’t have 17 year olds playing in the league.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
So I don't wanna make the same mistake we made with Jost, but do you think if Newhook continues his impressive season (or gets even better), that the Avs should sign him and think about putting him in the AHL for next year? Or would that be another mistake like with Jost?

I mean he's nearly at the verge of dominating his freshman year. Would him doing the same his sophomore year be beneficial? I guess to add size and strength the college schedule is better than the AHL.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
So I don't wanna make the same mistake we made with Jost, but do you think if Newhook continues his impressive season (or gets even better), that the Avs should sign him and think about putting him in the AHL for next year? Or would that be another mistake like with Jost?

I mean he's nearly at the verge of dominating his freshman year. Would him doing the same his sophomore year be beneficial? I guess to add size and strength the college schedule is better than the AHL.
I have plenty of reason to believe even if Sakic begged him to turn pro, Alex himself is going back to BC next year.

Also despite his height, Newhook is a bit of a brick shit house. He doesn’t need to get much stronger. I’d guess he spent most of his offseason weighing over 200 pounds and there’s minimal fat on him. That’s a big boy when you’re like 5’9 - 5’10 (I don’t believe those 5’11 listings) and only 18. I hope he gets on the AOB training program more than anything. He’s one of if not the most agile players from his entire draft. He doesn’t need to sacrifice any of that for mass.

Last edited:

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I have plenty of reason to believe even if Sakic begged him to turn pro, Alex himself is going back to BC next year.

Also despite his height, Newhook is a bit of a brick **** house. He doesn’t need to get much stronger. I’d guess he spent most of his offseason weighing over 200 pounds and there’s minimal fat on him. That’s a big boy when you’re like 5’9 - 5’10 (I don’t believe those 5’11 listings) and only 18. I hope he gets on the AOB training program more than anything. He’s one of if not the most agile players from his entire draft. He doesn’t need to sacrifice any of that for mass.
Interesting. I'm starting to get excited about him as a prospect.

Has he been playing C or W this season and where does he project to play at the NHL level? Seems like he plays a similar game to Duchene sort of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad