Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Wade Klippenstein... Avs scout for WHL, BCHL, and AJHL. He was a long time front office man for Prince George and ran Brandon's scouting department for a few years prior to joining the Avs. Pictured is Braden Schneider a defensemen for Brandon who should be a mid to late 1st round pick.

If Patrick can come back and play, and Philly ever wants to move on... Avs will probably be one of the first teams calling.

So he's the one most responsible for the Avs most recent draft...

In 2019 we had these guys selected from his leagues:

Byram
Newhook
Mutala
Burzan
Miner

5 of our 8 picks from the West Coast leagues.

He's also probably a big part of the Jost, Makar, Henry and Josh Anderson picks as well.

A couple hits.... A couple ahhhh, we'll call them misses :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Many people missed on Makar here including both of us, so not sure we need to give some praise to a lad who's at best mediocre at his job.

just saying he puts in a lot of work and is willing to address his short comings. Not many people who write about prospects do it so publicly.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
just saying he puts in a lot of work and is willing to address his short comings. Not many people who write about prospects do it so publicly.
I don't know, I think it is more to him being wrong constantly all the time. I am not saying I hate the bloke and sure this isn't a science process we're talking about here, but his prospect rankings during the summer were chaos abounds and contradictory beyond measure as well. He writes interesting articles, puts in the works, watches the games, and as you mention addresses the short comings, but they tend to be short more often than not.

Reactions: 95snipes

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't know, I think it is more to him being wrong constantly all the time. I am not saying I hate the bloke and sure this isn't a science process we're talking about here, but his prospect rankings during the summer were chaos abounds and contradictory beyond measure as well. He writes interesting articles, puts in the works, watches the games, and as you mention addresses the short comings, but they tend to be short more often than not.
I'd argue anybody that is great at evaluating players is wrong 70% of the time... most people are wrong 80-90% of the time. Pronman is not a guy I'd consider an expert on prospects or a NHL quality scout. Which is why he started as a blogger and now writes for a website. If he was an expert, a team would have picked him up at some point. By that logic... 80% or more of the time he's going to be wrong. Just like we can go back on many of our thoughts on players and see we are wrong more often than we are right. I don't see Wheeler, Button, Morreale, Divver, or any of the other blogs/websites coming back and pointing out their mistakes and they make just as many. Scouting is just imperfect and people will be wrong much more often than they'll be right.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Corey would be the first person to tell you he missed on Makar and why he thinks that is... and he projected him highly for over the past year.

He said recently that his reason was that he wasn't watching the AJHL.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He said recently that his reason was that he wasn't watching the AJHL.

He didn't say that... he said that he didn't watch it enough, that he was putting too much emphasis on late birthdates and rating them lower, and didn't dive hard enough into Makar until his sophomore season when he was trying to figure out where the disconnect was.

Reactions: Matt Roberts

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I'd argue anybody that is great at evaluating players is wrong 70% of the time... most people are wrong 80-90% of the time. Pronman is not a guy I'd consider an expert on prospects or a NHL quality scout. Which is why he started as a blogger and now writes for a website. If he was an expert, a team would have picked him up at some point. By that logic... 80% or more of the time he's going to be wrong. Just like we can go back on many of our thoughts on players and see we are wrong more often than we are right. I don't see Wheeler, Button, Morreale, Divver, or any of the other blogs/websites coming back and pointing out their mistakes and they make just as many. Scouting is just imperfect and people will be wrong much more often than they'll be right.

Why would you say that? Are you employed by the Avs as a scout by chance? :sarcasm:

No one's going to bat 1.000, but that's a pretty brutal track record.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Why would you say that? Are you employed by the Avs as a scout by chance? :sarcasm:

No one's going to bat 1.000, but that's a pretty brutal track record.

No, it's just how haphazard and random player development can be. The best hitter in baseball misses six out of ten times.

William Karlsson is a prime example. His entire career suggested he was never anything more than a speedy 4th liner, he heads to Vegas and transforms into a top-tier two-way center. NO ONE saw that coming, not even the Knights.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
So now we're supposed to be excited for not only Bowen and Newhook, but also Anunnen, Kaut and Bowers?

giphy.gif

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The Giants got punked by the best team in their conference tonight (Kamloops), losing 4-0, but at least there was this for a highlight:

Love it. That's what he needs to do. I feel like he got carried away last year by all those points and neglected other parts of his game.

He needs to work on his defense and his physical side to go along his offensive instincts. We need him to become a reliable 2-way defenseman. I'm glad they used him on the PK instead of the PP at the WJC. We don't need another Makar.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Love it. That's what he needs to do. I feel like he got carried away last year by all those points and neglected other parts of his game.

He needs to work on his defense and his physical side to go along his offensive instincts. We need him to become a reliable 2-way defenseman. I'm glad they used him on the PK instead of the PP at the WJC. We don't need another Makar.

I mean...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The Giants got punked by the best team in their conference tonight (Kamloops), losing 4-0, but at least there was this for a highlight:

Love everything about Byram but man he’s weak lol. Great instincts to do that all the time but he seems to always take the worst of it. He’s going to get dumped over and over if he tries that against grown men next year.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Love everything about Byram but man he’s weak lol. Great instincts to do that all the time but he seems to always take the worst of it. He’s going to get dumped over and over if he tries that against grown men next year.

He's going to get bigger and stronger, he still has that lanky teenager body. His daddy was quite a big boy so he's got good genes.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He's going to get bigger and stronger, he still has that lanky teenager body. His daddy was quite a big boy so he's got good genes.
Hope so. I love the fire but every time I watch him I see those types of plays and he keeps getting steamrolled. Sopotyk is a piece of paper and had no idea the hit was coming and Byram still sat on his ass. Imagine if that was someone like Kreider lol.

Reactions: Balthazar

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Yeah, you want to see Byram stay on his skates after that type of hit because it’s not as useful if he falls down also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->