Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He’ll know/get to stay out of the AHL too.
That’s actually the route I think makes most sense but Newhook probably won’t want that.

This could all be moot anyway. If Alex adjusts quickly he’s capable of absolutely ripping the NCAA up and may actually be NHL ready sooner than I thought. I don’t think he will but the skill is certainly there.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
One thing I’ll say is that Newhook’s goal wasn’t to simply play in the NHL as soon as possible. He wants to prepare himself for a long career and wants to accomplish that by developing properly.

Going the NCAA route was 100% Newhooks choice. He had the option to play for one of the best CHL teams in the country who just so happened to be hosting the MEM Cup but still choose to stay in Victoria. If he wanted to play in the NHL this year or next it would have made more sense to go to Halifax. Remember he was considered the #2 to Hughes a few years ago when that decision first game up. Most #2 picks never see college since they’re NHL ready. It’s always been Alex’s plan to go to college, get educated and develop into a an all round NHL player.

If Newhook doesn’t feel he’s ready for the NHL at the end of this season I highly doubt he’d sign. Sakic isn’t the type to force it either or else we would have had a full season of Makar last year.
Mikko was a slow burn too. Woulda been easy to rush him to the NHL but he got to play down in the A for a year.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
One thing I’ll say is that Newhook’s goal wasn’t to simply play in the NHL as soon as possible. He wants to prepare himself for a long career and wants to accomplish that by developing properly.

Going the NCAA route was 100% Newhooks choice. He had the option to play for one of the best CHL teams in the country who just so happened to be hosting the MEM Cup but still choose to stay in Victoria. If he wanted to play in the NHL this year or next it would have made more sense to go to Halifax. Remember he was considered the #2 to Hughes a few years ago when that decision first game up. Most #2 picks never see college since they’re NHL ready. It’s always been Alex’s plan to go to college, get educated and develop into a an all round NHL player.

If Newhook doesn’t feel he’s ready for the NHL at the end of this season I highly doubt he’d sign. Sakic isn’t the type to force it either or else we would have had a full season of Makar last year.
Jost was in a very similar situation with the Regina Pats hosting the memorial cup and owning his rights. Believe that was his draft + 1 year so slight difference but still.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Jost was in a very similar situation with the Regina Pats hosting the memorial cup and owning his rights. Believe that was his draft + 1 year so slight difference but still.
Jost’s choice at that point was WHL or NCAA. Newhook’s choice last year was BCHL or QMJHL. Big difference. He couldn’t play college last year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Mikko was a slow burn too. Woulda been easy to rush him to the NHL but he got to play down in the A for a year.

That was because Roy forced him down and when there was the question to burn, the Avs were pretty much out of the playoffs. Traditionally, the Avs look to get their top prospects into the fold as quick as possible and as high as possible.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Jost’s choice at that point was WHL or NCAA. Newhook’s choice last year was BCHL or QMJHL. Big difference. He couldn’t play college last year.
I don't see it as a difference because both players had their eye on college from the very start of their junior career and probably dating back to their bantam days.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't see it as a difference because both players had their eye on college from the very start of their junior career and probably dating back to their bantam days.
The big difference is that at the time of their decision Newhook was a top 5 talent. He had a high chance of playing NHL hockey a few months after his draft but he wanted to take the long term route anyway.

If I remember correctly Jost’s stock grew in his draft season (specifically the U-18’s)

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The big difference is that at the time of their decision Newhook was a top 5 talent. He had a high chance of playing NHL hockey a few months after his draft but he wanted to take the long term route anyway.

If I remember correctly Jost’s stock grew in his draft season (specifically the U-18’s)
You have a point, but a lot can change for a kid over the years. Who knows what he would do next summer if offered an NHL contract? I would hope he would turn it down and wait another year like Makar did, but the temptation of getting to play on the big stage and make money is undeniable.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
You have a point, but a lot can change for a kid over the years. Who knows what he would do next summer if offered an NHL contract? I would hope he would turn it down and wait another year like Makar did, but the temptation of getting to play on the big stage and make money is undeniable.
Trust me, it’s has nothing to do with it. You don’t think he was offered anything to spend 2 years in Halifax?

Sure things can always change but it hasn’t affected anything to this point.

Also I would hope everyone is smart enough to be on the same page. I don’t think Joe would just throw him a contract and say “sign it if you want”. I think it would be discussed in great detail by both sides and they’ll mutually agree on what they think is best.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Same with Kaut, Bowers, Greer, Meloche, Bleackley, Bigras, Heard, Siemens, Hishon, Elliott, Barrie, Stewart, Shattenkirk, Stoa, Stastny, Wolski, Johansson, Liffiton, and Nederost.

The Avs could have rushed all of those guys but didn't. Jost is the only top pick they got wrong and rushed into the NHL too early.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Exactly, he wasn't ready so he was sent down. AKA the myth of the Avs rushing their prospects is largely an HF fallacy.

Wut? They did rush him into the lineup as soon as they could; regardless of whether they ultimately sent him down, or not. Jost got sent down to the AHL eventually too, was he suddenly not rushed just to fit the list, as well?

I mean Bigras being on the 'not rushed' list -- when they tried to give him an NHL gig in camp right after his draft -- is one heck of a stretch already...so it's not like pretending Jost wasn't rushed, would take much more imagination...

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Wut? They did rush him into the lineup as soon as they could; regardless of whether they ultimately sent him down, or not. Jost got sent down to the AHL eventually too, was he suddenly not rushed just to fit the list, as well?

I mean Bigras being on the 'not rushed' list -- when they tried to give him an NHL gig in camp right after his draft -- is one heck of a stretch already...so it's not like pretending Jost wasn't rushed, would take much more imagination...
Mikko got a full year in the A, Jost did not. Outside of Jost I fail to see any high pick that has been rushed by the Avs within the last few years at the least. Even then, Jost's whole MO was to get to the NHL ASAP, some fault is at his feet also.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

If they tried to give Bigras an NHL gig out of camp, they would have though. They liked how he looked in camp and they still decided not to.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Mikko got a full year in the A, Jost did not. Outside of Jost I fail to see any high pick that has been rushed by the Avs within the last few years at the least. Even then, Jost's whole MO was to get to the NHL ASAP, some fault is at his feet also.
And I see only one who wasn't, Makar, and that only because the player said no when they tried to rush him :dunno:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
And I see only one who wasn't, Makar, and that only because the player said no when they tried to rush him :dunno:
Going back ten years...

Duchene? Nope.
Hishon? Nope (injuries)
Landeskog/Siemens? Nope, nope.
MacK? Nope.
Bleackley? Nope.
Mikko? Nope.
Jost? Yeah.
Makar? Nope.
Kaut? Nope.

Not to mention guys like Barrie, Elliott, Bowers,Greer, Stewart, Wolski, Shattenkirk etc etc etc...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Going back ten years...

Duchene? Nope.
Hishon? Nope (injuries)
Landeskog/Siemens? Nope, nope.
MacK? Nope.
Bleackley? Nope.
Mikko? Nope.
Jost? Yeah.
Makar? Nope.
Kaut? Nope.

Not to mention guys like Barrie, Elliott, Bowers,Greer, Stewart, Wolski, Shattenkirk etc etc etc...

You right, two guys...and they really tried with 1 of them...

Dutchy? - Yup; NHLer out of camp
Hishon? - N/A; braindamage
Landy? - Yup; NHLer out of camp
Dunk? - N/A; not good enough & not a top 10 pick
MacK? - Yup; NHLer out of camp
Bleacks? - N/A; not good enough & not a top 10 pick
Mikko? - Yup; NHLer out of camp
Jost? - Yup; NHLer in draft+2
Cale? - Nope; but they tried...
Kaut? - Nope;

My b, I totally forgot about Kaut cause I was just thinking about top 10 picks

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
My bad, two guys...and they really tried with 1 of them...

Hish? - N/A; braindamage
Kaut? - Nope; my b, forgot about Kaut cause I was just thinking about top 10 picks

Duchene 55 point rookie season..

Landeskog/MacKinnon..

image.jpeg

2014+NHL+Awards+Inside+Xf4Cgz8uO4Ex.jpg

Yeah they sure were rushed too soon :laugh:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yes, they were successful rookies...

I assume from those obnoxiously sized pics that you think you're making a point here?
I don't have time to scan all the photos to accommodate your preference lol. Point being they were successful, so they weren't rushed too soon. Seems like you're stretching things just to fit your argument.

But whatever, this is silly.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
You right, two guys...and they really tried with 1 of them...

Hishon? - N/A; braindamage
Kaut? - Nope;

My b, I totally forgot about Kaut cause I was just thinking about top 10 picks
Maybe I’m missing a punchline so apologies if I’m missing your sarcasm but do you really believe that Mackinnon, Duchene, Landeskog and Rantanen were rushed?

Reactions: Barklez

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't have time to scan all the photos to accommodate your preference lol. Point being they were successful, so they weren't rushed too soon. Seems like you're stretching things just to fit your argument.

But whatever, this is silly.

How do future results alter an assessment made at the time :huh:

This must be the same sort of reasoning that says that trying to rush a prospect and failing, means you never wanted to rush them in the first place :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad