Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Tyutyaev is doing well in the VHL which is a step up in competition and against pro players, now up to 10 assists in 18 games on a relatively low-scoring team (about 2.5 goals/game). No goals yet but he can also finish despite being a great playmaker, so it's just a matter of time and shooting the puck more. He actually leads the team in assists/game.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Tyutyaev is doing well in the VHL which is a step up in competition and against pro players, now up to 10 assists in 18 games on a relatively low-scoring team (about 2.5 goals/game). No goals yet but he can also finish despite being a great playmaker, so it's just a matter of time and shooting the puck more. He actually leads the team in assists/game.
I believe he's AHL ready already, very similar to 22 year old Hirose player

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
Any predictions as to when Joe V gets the call up?
From what I've seen he hasn't warranted a call up. He's still behind Rasmussen on the depth chart and unless Stevie Y wants to completely gut GR, Veleno won't see any time until next year.

Oct 18, 2006
From what I've seen he hasn't warranted a call up. He's still behind Rasmussen on the depth chart and unless Stevie Y wants to completely gut GR, Veleno won't see any time until next year.
I like giving guys a taste to let them experience exactly what they need to work on. It’s one thing to have them hear you need to get stronger or play better defensively, it’s altogether different to experience it yourself.

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
I like giving guys a taste to let them experience exactly what they need to work on. It’s one thing to have them hear you need to get stronger or play better defensively, it’s altogether different to experience it yourself.

Joe seems to have enough on his plate processing the game at the ahl level. I get the point on showing him a taste of the nhl so he knows how much more he has to work on in the summer but it might just overwhelm him right now. Now if he starts lighting it up and shows a spike in growth here in the next month, sure give him a taste then.

Reactions: hkydave04

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Joe seems to have enough on his plate processing the game at the ahl level. I get the point on showing him a taste of the nhl so he knows how much more he has to work on in the summer but it might just overwhelm him right now. Now if he starts lighting it up and shows a spike in growth here in the next month, sure give him a taste then.

He's going to get called up for a handful of games. I'm not sure why you think he isn't. This has been what the Red Wings have historically done.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If the Griffins are on the bubble for the playoff hunt, I don’t see it happening
If the Red Wings are dealing roster players at the deadline and not taking any back, they'll need to replace them with somebody.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Let me correct his words. This is what basically the entire NHL has historically done.
Not really. Not for a guy as young as Veleno when they have other older prospects in GR (Zadina, Ras, Svech, Smith who are more advanced in their development and currently better players. I am not saying they won't or that I disagree with calling him up for a few games just that the entire NHL hasn't done it in similar situations and the Wings have a new GM so what they have traditionally done is kinda irrelevent.
Veleno is coming along and he is better now than at the start of the season. He is a -22 on the season but has been even in 8 games since his return from the WJC and great on the PK with Ras although he only has 2 points in that stretch.
He has a long way to go but I hope (and think they will especially if he continues to improve) they take a look and give him a taste.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I suppose it's possible, but I don't think he gets called up when there's another young prospect at the same position in GR that is both playing better than him and ahead of him on the depth chart.

Veleno still needs some time and at this point giving him his 9 games next year will be just fine, unless he takes a big big step forward and forces their hands into more than 9 next year

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Veleno has done nothing to warrant being called up

We currently run out Ehn, Erne and Abdelkader on a regular basis, and yet we have people like you complain about Veleno not earning a call up? Come the f*** on.

In a season where the Wings have virtually locked up the first overall pick (odds) in 50 games, who the f*** cares if he hasn't earned the call up? It's about his development. Believe it or not, there is a difference between earning a call up and giving a player the exposure to the NHL pace and style of play. We are aware that Zadina only had 8 more points in his first 37 games in the AHL, right? And that Veleno's game has improved as the season has gone on and is generating more as the season has gone on, right? f*** it, give him 9 games playing 12 minutes a night to get a taste and get a sense of how much work he needs to put in. Seems to have worked for Zadina...

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
We currently run out Ehn, Erne and Abdelkader on a regular basis, and yet we have people like you complain about Veleno not earning a call up? Come the **** on.

In a season where the Wings have virtually locked up the first overall pick (odds) in 50 games, who the **** cares if he hasn't earned the call up? It's about his development. Believe it or not, there is a difference between earning a call up and giving a player the exposure to the NHL pace and style of play. We are aware that Zadina only had 8 more points in his first 37 games in the AHL, right? And that Veleno's game has improved as the season has gone on and is generating more as the season has gone on, right? **** it, give him 9 games playing 12 minutes a night to get a taste and get a sense of how much work he needs to put in. Seems to have worked for Zadina...

I personally think even if its just developmental stuff, Rasmussen should get the call up before Veleno. Hes playing better and is a higher pick. I know theres the development angle to it but Rasmussen has definitely earned it over Veleno. You could call both up obviously as well but I dont think theres a rush to force these guys up with the dumpster fire red wings while Grand Rapids is in the middle of a tight playoff race. The tight playoff race games might actually be better for their development then coming up and trying to receive breakout passes from Alex Biega

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I personally think even if its just developmental stuff, Rasmussen should get the call up before Veleno. Hes playing better and is a higher pick. I know theres the development angle to it but Rasmussen has definitely earned it over Veleno. You could call both up obviously as well but I dont think theres a rush to force these guys up with the dumpster fire red wings while Grand Rapids is in the middle of a tight playoff race. The tight playoff race games might actually be better for their development then coming up and trying to receive breakout passes from Alex Biega

No you are right about Rasmussen. I think he should 100% get the call up before Veleno. But I don't see how you can't make a point to get all of these kids a taste at some point. Rasmussen is an interesting one, because if he's continuing how he started the season and his play since returning from injury, he has borderline earned his graduation in my mind, but you also don't want to take away the best center on that team for long if your hope is that they are making a playoff push this year (currently tied for the last playoff spot, if I am correct). If the team starts to fade and it seems hopeless, I am calling up Rasmussen for the rest of the season.

If you are trying to give players a taste of the NHL this year AND want to keep the playoff picture alive, I'd say the organization has the most to gain by giving Veleno 9 games and going back. Veleno has the most to gain by getting a taste (because Ras has a year of NHL experience under his belt), and the Griffins sacrifice less by keeping Rasmussen in place.

It all depends on the circumstances of the second half of the season.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

For sure he should. Veleno needs some more time in the AHL, and that’s OK.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Carter Gylander with a 26 Save Shutout tonight as well

Two of our Goalie Prospects are having really good years:
-Petruzzelli... 16-9-1 2.13 GAA .917 SV 2 SO
-Gylander... 27-4 1.97 GAA .928 SV 2 SO

Reactions: mantha39
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events