Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
So that makes either Roster or Preliminary Roster:

Veleno & McIsaac (Canada), Mastrosimone (USA), Seider (Germany), Berggren & Eliasson (Sweden) & Kivenmaki (Finland)

Not Bad

Reactions: Red Stanley

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
Assuming Mastrosimone makes it, the Wings will have 7 players at the World Juniors
Germany - Moritz Seider
US - Robert Mastrosimone
Canada - Joe Veleno, Jared McIsaac
Sweden - Jonatan Berggren, Jesper Eliasson
Finland - Otto Kivenmaki

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Not sure if Mastrosimone will make it or not. Theyre going to have to cut 2 forwards, possibly 3 if Wahlstrom ends up getting released for the tourney which could still happen. I think Mastrosimone could make it over Pivonka or Parker Ford pretty easily, probably over Curtis Hall or Gruden as well.

I dont follow those guys a tonne though so its hard to say for sure either way. mastrosimones versatility definitely helps him I would think though. I would put his chances somewhere around 65-70% that he makes the team but maybe someone who follows USA hockey closer could probably chime in here.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not sure if Mastrosimone will make it or not. Theyre going to have to cut 2 forwards, possibly 3 if Wahlstrom ends up getting released for the tourney which could still happen. I think Mastrosimone could make it over Pivonka or Parker Ford pretty easily, probably over Curtis Hall or Gruden as well.

I dont follow those guys a tonne though so its hard to say for sure either way. mastrosimones versatility definitely helps him I would think though. I would put his chances somewhere around 65-70% that he makes the team but maybe someone who follows USA hockey closer could probably chime in here.

I think his versatility should help, he is going to have to show well in the preliminaries, but he is in pretty good form.

I think actually ex-Wings prospect Regula has better odds of cracking the USA lineup. In any event I think Mastrosimone has to go in thinking and trying to nail down the 13th forward spot and he does have the ability to do that.

Hall is having a pretty good year on a terrible Yale team. Ford is sort of an off the radar pick being undrafted but is having a good year at Providence. I agree I think he is long-shot.

Pivonka is a guy USA hockey likes a lot, he will need someone to dislodge him with a good camp. Mastrosimone is the kind of guy that I expect to elevate his game while fighting for a spot so I am curious to watch how this plays out.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think his versatility should help, he is going to have to show well in the preliminaries, but he is in pretty good form.

I think actually ex-Wings prospect Regula has better odds of cracking the USA lineup. In any event I think Mastrosimone has to go in thinking and trying to nail down the 13th forward spot and he does have the ability to do that.

Hall is having a pretty good year on a terrible Yale team. Ford is sort of an off the radar pick being undrafted but is having a good year at Providence. I agree I think he is long-shot.

Pivonka is a guy USA hockey likes a lot, he will need someone to dislodge him with a good camp. Mastrosimone is the kind of guy that I expect to elevate his game while fighting for a spot so I am curious to watch how this plays out.

I tried tagging you in that post but it wouldnt show up for some reason because I figured you would have some input.

A guy like Pivonka defnitely is a USA guy and Mastrosimone isnt which is what makes me worry about him not making it. Pivonka has worn letters for them in the past while Mastro hasnt been to a tournament. On the other hand you have to look at things like development curve. Pivonka is a fourth round pick thats in his last year vs a second round pick having abetter season than him that could get experience for next season. I kinda feel the same way about Hall. He doesnt have USA experience but hes an older guy who isnt blowing guys out of the water so why wouldnt they take the younger, somewhat similar calibre player?

On the other hand, I think USA hockey in general takes more head scratchers a lot of the time than Canada does. So its hard to get a real read on any of these bottom of the line up type of guys considering who knows which way they will lean. Theres politics with guys who have left for the CHL vs the USHL and guys who have played for the development team to consider

USHOCKEYUS

Sep 16, 2014
"Pivonka has worn letters for them in the past while Mastro hasnt been to a tournament".

Mastro has played for team USA 5 times with 4 gold medals and 1 loss which was at the Hlinka in which they were robbed by the goal after time expired. (He was also top line guy in 4 of the 5 tournaments)
That said Pivonka was a USA "NTDP" guy which Mastro wasn't but Pivonka didn't shine in his NTDP years so I'd say camp should outweigh everything but NHL ties mean a lot in this world.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
"Pivonka has worn letters for them in the past while Mastro hasnt been to a tournament".

Mastro has played for team USA 5 times with 4 gold medals and 1 loss which was at the Hlinka in which they were robbed by the goal after time expired. (He was also top line guy in 4 of the 5 tournaments)
That said Pivonka was a USA "NTDP" guy which Mastro wasn't but Pivonka didn't shine in his NTDP years so I'd say camp should outweigh everything but NHL ties mean a lot in this world.

Weird, his elite prospects page doesnt have him playing any of the big tournaments so what tournaments does he play for them? Doesnt the States leave all their development team guys off from the Hlinka roster? So him getting cut from the main team they choose their WJC team from is the only reason he played at the Hlinka in the first place isnt it?

What were the other 4 gold medals that he won?

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Weird, his elite prospects page doesnt have him playing any of the big tournaments so what tournaments does he play for them? Doesnt the States leave all their development team guys off from the Hlinka roster? So him getting cut from the main team they choose their WJC team from is the only reason he played at the Hlinka in the first place isnt it?

The only gold I see is from U.S U17 Select Team that won first place in the Five Nations Tournament.

USHOCKEYUS

Sep 16, 2014

I think u17 four Nations
Five Nations u17
WJAC
NTDP 5 Nations

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think u17 four Nations
Five Nations u17
WJAC
NTDP 5 Nations

Yeah I wouldnt consider him much of a team USA guy just for playing in those tournaments, especially after being cut from the development program. If you dont actually play at the u17 tournament or the u18 tournament its not a good sign of your country liking you

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Yeah I wouldnt consider him much of a team USA guy just for playing in those tournaments, especially after being cut from the development program. If you dont actually play at the u17 tournament or the u18 tournament its not a good sign of your country liking you

Within USA Hockey though, those tournaments are largely limited to the NDTP kids with a couple of occasional adds. Like you I think he is a bit of a longshot to make the final squad but I am very pleased he is getting the opportunity and the recognition.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
https://www.hcd.ch/de/news/hc-davos-verpflichtet-torhueter-robert-mayer

HC Davos signed Robert Mayer for 4 years...can only mean that Van Pottelberghe told them about his plans to join Grand Rapids next season. Both Van Pottelberghe and Aeschlimann have been very good for Davos so they wouldn't need a 3rd goalie unless Van Pottelberghe is on the move. Grand Rapids needs a goalie anyway after Larsson didn't work out and probably won't for a while.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
While not technically a prospect of ours, I'd love to see Yzerman throw a contract Pavel Gogolev's way. We brought him in at camp when he went undrafted and looks to be having a decent +2 season with 20 goals and 46 points in 28 games for Guelph and is still only 19.

Pavel Gogolev Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
How good is that Usports team?

Its an all star team of Canadian university players, theyre all older than the team Canada guys. I havent looked at the roster fully but pretty sure all of them played in the OHL/WHL/QMJHL as well.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
just watched the 3rd between canada and u . love mcissac , smart + composed + not fast but a coordinated skater that looks great in own end defending where hes always glued to the opponant . looks like a great stay at home penalty killer guy but whose smarts and coordinated skating make him also a positive factor on the attack . also was on the ice a whole bunch in 3on3 ot . of note drysdale didnt impress me much

Reactions: Henkka
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad