Pre-Game Talk: 2019-20 Pro-Team Tank Thread - To Infinity and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
upload_2019-12-10_21-26-47.gif

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Tuesday night will be interesting. By my count, if the Canucks lose, there will be six teams in a position to overtake them in the standings.

The two games coming up vs Vegas will be important, perhaps.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Tuesday night will be interesting. By my count, if the Canucks lose, there will be six teams in a position to overtake them in the standings.

The two games coming up vs Vegas will be important, perhaps.

VGK has 5 wins in their last 7 games. They have picked it up.

I see the bottom teams climbing.

I won't cheer for the tank, but just thought I would point out how the West is shaping up around the Canucks.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
A bit of a slide coming up would be awesome. Carolina, San Jose, and then double Vegas...let’s go! A losing streak here would be excellent for the tank.

Also, you just know that Benning is probably starting to itch to pull off another desperation trade to save his job.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
A bit of a slide coming up would be awesome. Carolina, San Jose, and then double Vegas...let’s go! A losing streak here would be excellent for the tank.

Also, you just know that Benning is probably starting to itch to pull off another desperation trade to save his job.

Oh man that would be epic! A slide now would be perfect for Team Tank. As I stated before, they better get as many points as possible this month with all the home games if they want any chance at the playoffs this year. Come January-February-March when the intensity level goes up and things become a little more tighter because points are premium, this team will most likely sit around the .500 mark or just below it right up to the TDL.

As far as the desperation trade, what can he do? Benning has completely painted himself into a corner with the cap and the players he would like to get rid of...nobody wants. I guess he could put some of those bad contracts in the minors and throw around draft picks and a couple RFA's for help but I don't think that would go over very well.

One thing we do know for sure is that while Benning should unload Tanev, Markstrom, Leivo, Schaller and Fantenberg for futures at the TDL...he won't. He'll hang on to them thinking he can can make the playoffs and resign em :(

This is it for Benning. He's got nowhere to hide. This is the team he put together over the last 6 years and it's now starting to get chipped away due to the cap.

Last edited:

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Oh man that would be epic! A slide now would be perfect for Team Tank. As I stated before, they better get as many points as possible this month with all the home games if they want any chance at the playoffs this year. Come January-February-March when the intensity level goes up and things become a little more tighter because points are premium, this team will most likely sit around the .500 mark or just below it right up to the TDL.

As far as the desperation trade, what can he do? Benning has completely painted himself into a corner with the cap and the players he would like to get rid of...nobody wants. I guess he could put some of those bad contracts in the minors and throw around draft picks and a couple RFA's for help but I don't think that would go over very well.

One thing we do know for sure is that while Benning should unload Tanev, Markstrom, Leivo, Schaller and Fantenberg for futures at the TDL...he won't. He'll hang on to them thinking he can can make the playoffs and resign em :(

This is it for Benning. He's got nowhere to hide. This is the team he put together over the last 6 years and it's now starting to get chipped away due to the cap.
Too funny. Cap problems coming up, yet this team's greatest accomplishment was using Mike Gillis' stale core to get bounced by Calgary in the first round - yes apparently that was turning things around lol. Now, after missing the playoffs for how many years, signing two 30 MM contracts in three years, trading away more picks than acquiring - including his latest 1st given away, and spending to the cap, they may be a playoff bubble team if they continue to have limited injuries and other teams that were good last year play below their expected level. And that's a massive win for Jim, 5 years in?

Can't see them taking advantage of the "critical mass of prospects", or "the best collection of young talent this team has ever seen" - on their rookie contracts as we know good teams do. Sure, some rookies have looked great, but the rest of the roster has been utterly filled with garbage, on long term deals lol.

As we said 3 years ago - with a roster filled with this much garbage (that has been either traded for giving up picks or signed as FA to incredibly bloated contracts) 2-3 good-great players won't get them over the hump. It truly will be funny to see this "core" broken into pieces as they leave for FA to greener pastures.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
21st in pt% now (1oth for conference). Tied for 5th last in regulation wins. This is with extremely limited injuries to the top 6 forwards and top 4 D.

Also the constantly talked about Goal differential is now down to 9.
Did you see the posts in the GDT last night from ROE and Melvin?

Canucks record in regulation in games they DONT score 5 goals is 1-11. Not a typo, one regulation win and 11 losses in regulation if they fail to score 5 goals.

There's been a big beef on the twitter about the word "mediocre" being used to describe the Canucks, but mediocre might be flattering them. 1-11 in regulation without scoring 5 goals isn't mediocre, it's terrible.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Did you see the posts in the GDT last night from ROE and Melvin?

Canucks record in regulation in games they DONT score 5 goals is 1-11. Not a typo, one regulation win and 11 losses in regulation if they fail to score 5 goals.

There's been a big beef on the twitter about the word "mediocre" being used to describe the Canucks, but mediocre might be flattering them. 1-11 in regulation without scoring 5 goals isn't mediocre, it's terrible.

This season is still being propped up by the 4-0 October against 29th place LA and 31st place Detroit where they outscored them 23-6.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
This season is still being propped up by the 4-0 October against 29th place LA and 31st place Detroit where they outscored them 23-6.
That and JT Miller + Quinn Hughes.

Benning has consistently put together terrible teams, but there is always one gold star that deflects from the reality of the situation. 2 years ago it was Boeser, last year Pettersson, this year it's Hughes and Miller, and at the end of the day, they're still bad to mediocre, not mediocre to good.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
That and JT Miller + Quinn Hughes.

Benning has consistently put together terrible teams, but there is always one gold star that deflects from the reality of the situation. 2 years ago it was Boeser, last year Pettersson, this year it's Hughes and Miller, and at the end of the day, they're still bad to mediocre, not mediocre to good.

Some extremely funny twitter threads where Tej Dhaliwhal gets extremely mad about a CA article that says the Canucks are mediocre and then starts arguing the semantics of mediocre being a negative connotation instead of it just being an accurate representation of them being like exactly in the middle pack of all teams.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Some extremely funny twitter threads where Tej Dhaliwhal gets extremely mad about a CA article that says the Canucks are mediocre and then starts arguing the semantics of mediocre being a negative connotation instead of it just being an accurate representation of them being like exactly in the middle pack of all teams.

We're now 21st in points %, so I'd say 'mediocre' is generous, if anything.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
We're now 21st in points %, so I'd say 'mediocre' is generous, if anything.

Oh, it's extremely generous based on our ROW-rate, number of PP opportunities, and how unbelievably soft the October schedule was.

This was yet another season where literally everything has to to right to have a chance to be competing even for a playoff position. And surprise surprise, several things have gone wrong.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
that guy is a complete buffoon, took one engagement with him to understand he's a moron. I've got any account linked with him and his podcast muted beyond belief. Was hoping HF was safe from having to read about him :thumbd:

But yeah, the twitter spat over the use of that word was ridiculous, if anything Jackson's article wasn't scathing enough. He even referred to Beagle and Sutter as key pieces, but the "bros" still freaked out.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
that guy is a complete buffoon, took one engagement with him to understand he's a moron. I've got any account linked with him and his podcast muted beyond belief. Was hoping HF was safe from having to read about him :thumbd:

But yeah, the twitter spat over the use of that word was ridiculous, if anything Jackson's article wasn't scathing enough. He even referred to Beagle and Sutter as key pieces, but the "bros" still freaked out.

His metaphor essentially boils down to "support the troops (in this case, the canucks) at all costs without any criticism" and it's absolutely insane.

Reactions: 420Canuck

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
His metaphor essentially boils down to "support the troops (in this case, the canucks) at all costs without any criticism" and it's absolutely insane.
Oh I logged out to see what all the twitter drama was about, but his army metaphors were f***ed and I have no clue why anyone with a brain gives him a platform.

Reactions: Peter10 and timw33

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Oh, it's extremely generous based on our ROW-rate, number of PP opportunities, and how unbelievably soft the October schedule was.

This was yet another season where literally everything has to to right to have a chance to be competing even for a playoff position. And surprise surprise, several things have gone wrong.

Actually very little has gone wrong. They still haven’t hit injury trouble with actual important players.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Actually very little has gone wrong. They still haven’t hit injury trouble with actual important players.

I'm talking about things like Ferland and Myers not living up to expectations/contracts, the 4th line continuing to be an absolute disaster.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
not a playoff team since the start of November, actually not a playoff team period. :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad