Pre-Game Talk: 2019-20 Pro-Team Tank Thread - The Final Countdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Im not sure whats the issue here, this years Tank thread has a simple designation. We, the tankers, see if this team misses the playoffs this year, it increases the chance this management group is gone, which is what we want. Not sure why the Pro-Benning people even come in here, other than to gloat & annoy people who have different opinions of the team.
If you want to debate us, then at least present some quality arguments, not this b*****it i've been seeing here these past few days.

i mean, what a question. why indeed would fans of a sports team have a problem with a thread like this in their subforum and feel the need to comment? it's in no way a provocation to a normal fan. i can see why you guys would be so genuinely and sincerely surprised at the reactions you get.

what if a bunch of salty flames fans started this thread in our subforum and made the same posts pretending to be canuck fans? i mean come to think of it we only have your word for it you are actually canuck fans. in what way are you posting things different from what salty flames fans would say?

Reactions: Nomobo

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
i mean, what a question. why indeed would fans of a sports team have a problem with a thread like this in their subforum and feel the need to comment? it's in no way a provocation to a normal fan. i can see why you guys would be so genuinely and sincerely surprised at the reactions you get.

what if a bunch of salty flames fans started this thread in our subforum and made the same posts pretending to be canuck fans? i mean come to think of it we only have your word for it you are actually canuck fans. in what way are you posting things different from what salty flames fans would say?

I started this thread. As you can tell by my post history I am a long-time Canucks fan. Enough with this conspiracy garbage.

Team Tank is clearly a group of Canucks fans who understand the limitations of current management, who are frustrated and frankly pissed off by management's sheer incompetence over the past half decade that we are demanding a regime change. And until that happens we will continue to be on team tank because we understand that the team is going nowhere under this management regime. Stop trying to make it something that it isn't, and if you don't like this thread, as mods have said, there are plenty of other threads you can go to.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

Lol the repeated reasoning that has been given would be the foundational difference between the two. If a flames fan was wishing for canuck's failure - the reasoning behind their desires would have no underlying positive correlation to the canucks at all and the wishes for the canuck's failure could only be attributed to more possible success for their franchise and/or just out of pure dislike for a rival. The interest in the canucks failure would not come out of an interest in the canucks , if they were a flames fan.

In this case it has been stated many times that the main desire of this thread is to have Jim Benning removed as to give this franchise the best possible chance, as soon as possible, to win a stanley cup.

You can't see the difference?

And again, what the poster was saying was not that he is surprised that people have a contrary opinions to him but the useless ways in which those opinions are being expressed. Coming into threads and posting "you must be mad now" and "you were wrong" "i am sorry for your loss" - like really? How does it benefit anyone to waste everyone's time with what appears to be useless trolling?

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com

Ahh, so for the past few years these same fans were alright with having a Tank thread, even if the team was trying to make the playoffs every single year, not rebuild. Now all of a sudden, when the team has went "ALL IN", so to speak, on making the playoffs, a difference in opinion is now banned.
As i said, feel free to comment with some substance if you want to have a genuine discussion about the team, but the trolling is just annoying at this point. As if there's some law that requires us to see "HA, TAKE THAT TANKERS" "WHERE ARE YOU NOW?!?" after every win, at the start of the season of all places. (Im quite happy with eating my crow at the end of the year)
And i don't need to explain or address my allegiance to this team, i've done so in the introductory thread quite some time ago.

Reactions: vanuck and Pavel96

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
And... they've set up the perfect fall guy too in Jim Benning.

41.gif

Oh the games rich people play. I wanna own a hockey team one of these days.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Lol the repeated reasoning that has been given would be the foundational difference between the two. If a flames fan was wishing for canuck's failure - the reasoning behind their desires would have no underlying positive correlation to the canucks at all and the wishes for the canuck's failure could only be attributed to more possible success for their franchise and/or just out of pure dislike for a rival. The interest in the canucks failure would not come out of an interest in the canucks , if they were a flames fan.

well if a smart salty flames fan didn't want his thread and posts immediately deleted, he would come up with a premise by which he could be relentlessly negative about the team and cheer losses and bad things happening to the team while ostensibly being a canuck fan.

anyway, i am not suggesting you are a salty flames fan. i am saying you guys doth protest too much complaining that people come in here from time to time and are hostile and question your approach. you know that's going to happen and there are ways to deal with it other than playing innocent. you are taking a controversial approach to fandom and to team rebuilding that is quite often indistinguishable from trolling your own team. the nhl changed the draft rules to try and discourage tanking. there is a reason every single team in a tank situation will deny they are tanking, and will talk about competing while rebuilding. many teams will even make no hope signings in that situation to give the appearance of trying so as to seek to avoid fans getting angry. because that's how many fans are. they hate being defeatist or having failure predestined for them or having it rubbed in their face when their team loses, or having their team disrespected. being a fan inherently involves being a fanatic and embracing the irrational, which includes being salty if someone is cheering losses in their fan site. maybe just relax when those folks come in here to vent and go with a polite dialogue, instead of hitting the mattresses every time someone comes in here wondering why you are cheering against their team. they're not idiots, they are normal. you guys are the outliers.

for my part, i mostly respect your safe spaces here and in the management thread, but now and then i will come in here and say my piece. you may disagree with me, but pretending you are innocent little doves completely unaware of why you get the treatment you do is a little rich.

peace out.

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
well if a smart salty flames fan didn't want his thread and posts immediately deleted, he would come up with a premise by which he could be relentlessly negative about the team and cheer losses and bad things happening to the team while ostensibly being a canuck fan.

anyway, i am not suggesting you are a salty flames fan. i am saying you guys doth protest too much complaining that people come in here from time to time and are hostile and question your approach. you know that's going to happen and there are ways to deal with it other than playing innocent. you are taking a controversial approach to fandom and to team rebuilding that is quite often indistinguishable from trolling your own team. the nhl changed the draft rules to try and discourage tanking. there is a reason every single team in a tank situation will deny they are tanking, and will talk about competing while rebuilding. many teams will even make no hope signings in that situation to give the appearance of trying so as to seek to avoid fans getting angry. because that's how many fans are. they hate being defeatist or having failure predestined for them or having it rubbed in their face when their team loses, or having their team disrespected. being a fan inherently involves being a fanatic and embracing the irrational, which includes being salty if someone is cheering losses in their fan site. maybe just relax when those folks come in here to vent and go with a polite dialogue, instead of hitting the mattresses every time someone comes in here wondering why you are cheering against their team. they're not idiots, they are normal. you guys are the outliers.

for my part, i mostly respect your safe spaces here and in the management thread, but now and then i will come in here and say my piece. you may disagree with me, but pretending you are innocent little doves completely unaware of why you get the treatment you do is a little rich.

peace out.
We are aware of what we are. But i believe a Mod posted some rules about this stuff, which included us not going into other threads and go against the pro-playoff people and vice versa. But i guess some rules don't apply to the "right" audience.

Reactions: Pavel96

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
This thread is reserved for those in favour of tanking. If your intent is to come in here and poke fun at them or otherwise troll them, it’s not going to end well.

The reason this thread exists is so those in favour of tanking have a place to do so without hijacking GDTs from those who wish to cheer for the Canucks to win.

If you’re not in favour of tanking, ignore this thread. Full stop.

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
This thread is reserved for those in favour of tanking. If your intent is to come in here and poke fun at them or otherwise troll them, it’s not going to end well.

The reason this thread exists is so those in favour of tanking have a place to do so without hijacking GDTs from those who wish to cheer for the Canucks to win.

And there it is.

Reactions: Pavel96

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

peace out.
The simple point us most of us have been on here cheering for this team much longer than you. You are more likely a management troll that’s here to only promote the management and their moves.

don’t forget a lot of us were ok with the hiring initially but soured as he’s shown he has no ability to lead this team
To a cup but you probably don’t realize that cause you have only been here half way through the managements tenure to defend them

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
The simple point us most of us have been on here cheering for this team much longer than you. You are more likely a management troll that’s here to only promote the management and their moves.

don’t forget a lot of us were ok with the hiring initially but soured as he’s shown he has no ability to lead this team
To a cup but you probably don’t realize that cause you have only been here half way through the managements tenure to defend them
Damn, you just activated a forgotten memory bank of mine. :laugh:

Reactions: vanuck

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
I was on board with them (as much as I hated the virtannen pick) until they doubled down after losing to the flames and then smugly saying we got better offers for miller but didn’t want to move him
Yeah, i remember now i was genuinely excited when i heard they hired Benning, as he was praised for his scouting & i thought after the Playoff loss vs the Flames we'd start rebuilding. All that followed, well.......thats already been discussed endlessly around here, no need to repeat that.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yeah, i remember now i was genuinely excited when i heard they hired Benning, as he was praised for his scouting & i thought after the Playoff loss vs the Flames we'd start rebuilding. All that followed, well.......thats already been discussed endlessly around here, no need to repeat that.

This experience has really made me leery of typical "hockey guys" since none of them appear to be all that bright. Benning, Fenton, Chiarelli have all been disasters.

Reactions: Hemty and xtr3m

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

Thank you!

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

peace out.
You've really created your own narrative. Venting does not have to involve calling people soy boys and posting nothing but 3 gloating words. Asking for discussion and actual reasoning is not pretending to be an innocent dove etc.
Just because something is controversial for you doesn't mean it is for everyone else lol. Many fan bases have embraced full out rebuilds - whatever.
Other points to contend but who cares - as stated above "this thread is reserved for those in favor of tanking."
And again nothing in your entire post has anything to do with management and that's the main reason this thread exists. Tankers respect the GDT thread (or else) and it's "safe space" - that's all people in here are asking for - is that same respect.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You've really created your own narrative. Venting does not have to involve calling people soy boys and posting nothing but 3 gloating words. Asking for discussion and actual reasoning is not pretending to be an innocent dove etc.
Just because something is controversial for you doesn't mean it is for everyone else lol. Many fan bases have embraced full out rebuilds - whatever.
Other points to contend but who cares - as stated above "this thread is reserved for those in favor of tanking."
And again nothing in your entire post has anything to do with management and that's the main reason this thread exists. Tankers respect the GDT thread (or else) and it's "safe space" - that's all people in here are asking for - is that same respect.

The only way anyone can lend any support to Benning is to create some kind of reasoning. As I've mentioned before, there are no facts that support the notion that Benning has done even a passable job as GM, so there's really no logical argument in favor for why he deserves to keep his job. When you are used to that kind of mental gymnastics, I'm not surprised to see it come out in other areas as well.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

I figure some of these pro Benning accounts could also be from blind optimism. It's convenient to assume everything is going great. Kind of like Republicans' views on climate change.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
The only way anyone can lend any support to Benning is to create some kind of reasoning. As I've mentioned before, there are no facts that support the notion that Benning has done even a passable job as GM, so there's really no logical argument in favor for why he deserves to keep his job. When you are used to that kind of mental gymnastics, I'm not surprised to see it come out in other areas as well.
It's just a non stop barrage of mental gymnastics and endlessly spinning facts from years previous. It never changes, it's the same mistakes almost yearly . It's so audacious that even management publicly lies in interviews as to directly just make themselves look better by misleading actual facts from years previous.

I too had no issue immediately when Benning was given the job. But after the Gudbranson trade I was completely over this nonsense. And for the life of me I cannot understand why people like this guy, more than the franchise he works for.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Are we allowed to comment on the pro playoff thread?

Seems kinda like a rip off :D

Seems like?

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I personally think this thread is a great idea. And in turn the other. Made perfect sense for the counter. People are free to enjoy both. Keeping in mind the theme of the thread.

Reactions: Red and Hemty

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
I was on board with them (as much as I hated the virtannen pick) until they doubled down after losing to the flames and then smugly saying we got better offers for miller but didn’t want to move him

I share your sentiment. Would also add the extensions to both Sbisa and Dorsett both on term and dollar amount just assured me that this GM hadn't a clue when it came to contracts/negotiations and had little pro scouting acumen.

What baffled me the most was how did this happen with Laurence Gilman still under employment with the hockey club? He wouldn't allow such atrocious contracts to be offered up if he still had some influence within the organization, right?

Gilman was fired less than 3 months later.

Reactions: rypper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad