Pre-Game Talk: 2019-20 Playoff Watch Thread

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
4 point cushion if Nashville and/or Winnipeg wins tonight. The Canucks have had an unreal stretch of games since late December that their analytics suggest is unsustainable. It’s not out of the question that they will miss.

The key I think is Markstrom. He needs to play at a very high level. March will be a tough month for the Nucks IMO. They pay 16 games and only twice do they get a two day break. All the rest are one day or no rest. Not sure if other teams are like that though.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The key I think is Markstrom. He needs to play at a very high level. March will be a tough month for the Nucks IMO. They pay 16 games and only twice do they get a two day break. All the rest are one day or no rest. Not sure if other teams are like that though.

Correct. And I haven’t looked at the other teams schedules either. Markstrom has performed like the best goalie in the league this season. If he keeps it up, and if the Canucks PP keeps up what it’s done they stand a good chance of making the playoffs. Anything less than top goalie in the league and I could see the Canucks falling out.

Reactions: Luckylarry

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
You had me at "Markstrom"

Reactions: canucksfan

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Correct. And I haven’t looked at the other teams schedules either. Markstrom has performed like the best goalie in the league this season. If he keeps it up, and if the Canucks PP keeps up what it’s done they stand a good chance of making the playoffs. Anything less than top goalie in the league and I could see the Canucks falling out.

The great exalted Benning has assembled a team that may or may not be able to sneak into the playoffs in a really weak year if they get league best goaltending.

Good thing then that Gillis gifted him that hey?

Thanks Mike!

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
The Canucks didn't help themselves and got no help on the OOT scoreboard. They need 21 pts in 23 games to realistically get in with 90. Get to 97 and they probably win the division. Any long term injuries to any of EP, QH or Markstrom would lead to a quick exit in the 1st round.

Michael Dal Swolle

Dec 15, 2013
It basically comes down to picking up 10 wins from here on out, along with an OT/SO loss or two. Winning the majority of the 7 games against VGK (2) /CGY (1) /WPG (1) /ARI (3) might give enough of a cushion to push that down to 8-9.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
The Canuck’s glass is way more than half empty. In a positive view it would be 1/8th full.

Yeah.......sure........LOL. I guess we know which group you fall into.

We're looking at 3 Calder finalists in a row which include a superstar #1 center and a superstar #1 D who looks like he could be a perennial Norris trophy candidate in the years to come (which we have really never had on our team EVER). We have a Vezina calibre goaltender this year and a young back up that looks very promising. We have a prospect pool that is most likely going to produce at least 1 legit top 6 player in the next 2 years (One of Madden, Podz, or Hoglander) - adding to the 4 real top 6 players we currently have - along with a relatively decent prospect pool. I could go on.........

But yeah..........not much to be excited about is there?

#SMH #thesykyisfallingtheskyisfalling

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It literally does. When you have that many teams behind you, odds are all of them won’t blaze by you with 20 odd games to go.

Except it literally doesn’t. I think it’s The Athletic that runs these numbers for playoff odds and even they have the Canucks right now with a 26% chance of missing the playoffs. That’s not small odds.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Except it literally doesn’t. I think it’s The Athletic that runs these numbers for playoff odds and even they have the Canucks right now with a 26% chance of missing the playoffs. That’s not small odds.
Different definitions of small odds I guess. Also those odds are after an awful loss and OOT scoreboard. Was this team really expected to hold 1st in the division from the all star break to the end of the season?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Different definitions of small odds I guess. Also those odds are after an awful loss and OOT scoreboard. Was this team really expected to hold 1st in the division from the all star break to the end of the season?

You tell me. The way people have jumped on the bandwagon with this team and ignored their analytics I guess anything is possible.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
He has a right to his opinion. Perhaps closing the tank thread wasn’t the best idea? People with valid opinions don’t like to be censored.

Yeah, for equal representation, every team forum on this board should have a designated 'cheer against the team' thread. /s

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yeah, for equal representation, every team forum on this board should have a designated 'cheer against the team' thread. /s

At least the teams with one quite likely the worst GM in the league, that has missed the playoffs 4 years in a row, and has team analytics that still suggest it's a bottom 10 team (that is just being carried by the best goaltending performance in the league this season). I also don't recall any pro playoff threads being closed at any point during the past 4 years despite the Canucks never being anywhere close to the playoffs.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Wait, did they close the tank thread?
GTFO
Where in anything I posted, was there a mention about a tank?

This is a playoff thread and I made a post about teams in contention for a playoff spot.

Hell, the title of this thread doesn’t even specifically define this as a Canucks playoff thread but a playoff watch thread.

So how about you GTFO and don’t post until you learn how to spell your last name.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Where in anything I posted, was there a mention about a tank?

This is a playoff thread and I made a post about teams in contention for a playoff spot.

Hell, the title of this thread doesn’t even specifically define this as a Canucks playoff thread but a playoff watch thread.

So how about you GTFO and don’t post until you learn how to spell your last name.
So this is what the tank group have come to :laugh:

Also, you said that you hoped Winnipeg and Chicago have a 3 pts games, if that doesn’t count as tanking support then what even is it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sneezy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad