Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
"You will, however, notice that consistent emphasis is placed on upside and skill in my rankings. These are not rankings based on proximity to the NHL. Players with star-level talent or top-of-the-lineup potential may rank higher than players with NHL experience who project into depth roles, even if the former group of prospects are less likely to reach their destination."

So yeah its almost entirely based on upside.
If it was based on only upside Samorukov would be alot higher.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
If it was based on only upside Samorukov would be alot higher.

Higher than 11 for sure. But i don't know, guess im not as sold on Samo as most are around here. But you would have figured that Broberg would at the very least be ahead of Holloway based on upside, but Wheeler says he likes Holloway's offensive upside more than most and can see him producing 2nd line numbers.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Higher than 11 for sure. But i don't know, guess im not as sold on Samo as most are around here. But you would have figured that Broberg would at the very least be ahead of Holloway based on upside, but Wheeler says he likes Holloway's offensive upside more than most and can see him producing 2nd line numbers.
Yeah I think the thing with Samurokov is he isn’t going to be a big points guy at the nhl level. If his game translates he’ll be a rock solid, physical guy with enough skill to make plays out of the zone and take the occasional shot. That’s kind of a 3-4 guy but I suppose that depends.

Reactions: MuzzaFuzza

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Is Skinner up to potentially play a b2b game, or is he up simply to practice/get accustomed to the nhl?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Ty Tullio continues his strong play in Slovakia with a primary assist on the PP. 4-7-11 in 15 games

(#74, makes the zone-entry and takes the shot)

He also has 63 PIMs in just 15 games, top-10 in the league despite missing the majority of the season. Following in Evan Bouchard's footsteps as a goon.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Yeah I think the thing with Samurokov is he isn’t going to be a big points guy at the nhl level. If his game translates he’ll be a rock solid, physical guy with enough skill to make plays out of the zone and take the occasional shot. That’s kind of a 3-4 guy but I suppose that depends.

Samorukov will put up more points than Nurse. He has more tools.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Samorukov will put up more points than Nurse. He has more tools.
I’m not sure I see it. He doesn’t have nurses mobility. I agree he probably handles the puck better and shoots better but his mobility I think will keep him from logging the huge minutes nurse does.

Reactions: Aerchon

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Barring injury or a complete shelling of Koskinen don't expect him to get any time in.
Skinner, playing with our team right now would destroy any ounce of confidence he has left in his body. This team has to score 4 goals+ a game to win with Koskinen right now and they struggle to do that. Skinner wouldn't stand a chanc.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Skinner, playing with our team right now would destroy any ounce of confidence he has left in his body. This team has to score 4 goals+ a game to win with Koskinen right now and they struggle to do that. Skinner wouldn't stand a chanc.

Pretty much this, we cant even afford to put him in really. But i'm worried about our back-to-back coming up here. One of them is against Ottawa but still, Koskinen is straight up playing too much right now. Have to pray Grosenick has driven up in time lmao

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He hasn't shown to be better offensively at any level yet.

For having more tools he should of put up more points than Nurse in the OHL.
He did in the last half of his last year in the OHL. Once the need to cover for Merkely was gone Samorukov's offensive game exploded. Including playoffs he had 58 points in the 59 games after that trade.

Last edited:

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
He hasn't shown to be better offensively at any level yet.

For having more tools he should of put up more points than Nurse in the OHL.

His stats are close to Nurse's - AHL PPG similar and so are their final OHL years (regular + playoffs)

upload_2021-1-26_19-40-2.png

upload_2021-1-26_19-40-21.png

A huge problem with Nurse's offensive - is it is predicated on his skating and zone-entries on the rush. Samorukov is more well rounded. I've always called him Petry 2.0 - since he can shoot, hit, skate, can turn on a dime.

Reactions: oilers'72 and North

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Love me some Samo, but the Oilers will need to use the point a whole lot better for him to outscore Nurse.

They're a bit better at it now, but it's been pretty hard for any defenseman on the Oilers to put up points without using their skating and joining the rush like Nurse has.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
His stats are close to Nurse's - AHL PPG similar and so are their final OHL years (regular + playoffs)

View attachment 388697

View attachment 388698

A huge problem with Nurse's offensive - is it is predicated on his skating and zone-entries on the rush. Samorukov is more well rounded. I've always called him Petry 2.0 - since he can shoot, hit, skate, can turn on a dime.

I don't see Samorukov as having Petry's skating. I could see Samo being better at one timing the puck, but I'm not sure that he ever reaches Nurse's career high in points.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't see Samorukov as having Petry's skating. I could see Samo being better at one timing the puck, but I'm not sure that he ever reaches Nurse's career high in points.
To be fair, I don’t think most people expected nurse to reach his career high in points. If samorukov can bring his defensive game while putting up 20 5on5 points that’s a huge win IMO

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Hampus Lindholm has never reached Nurse points ceiling but he's been universally regarded as the better D. Quite easily actually. We need a minute crusher. Someone who's positionally sound and can teach the rest of the guys how to defend properly. Maybe Samorukov ends up like a physical Lindholm.
Or even a physical Klef.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Hampus Lindholm has never reached Nurse points ceiling but he's been universally regarded as the better D. Quite easily actually. We need a minute crusher. Someone who's positionally sound and can teach the rest of the guys how to defend properly. Maybe Samorukov ends up like a physical Lindholm.
Or even a physical Klef.

People need to get this into their heads. It's not all about points. Reducing GA holds a ton of weight.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
People need to get this into their heads. It's not all about points. Reducing GA is holds a ton of weight.

I think most people have it in their heads after the play ins in the summer and the terrible start to this season. If you don't understand the need for defense at this point, I don't know what else to tell you.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Samorukov isn't as fluid and quick as Petry but he's no slouch. I've always seen him as a top minute muncher. He's the next replacement for Petry/Klefbom IMO.

Bouchard is our next Schultz. Broberg is Nurse++ (probably more). Lagesson is a Larsson replacement and maybe more if he can improve his skating just a tad.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I think most people have it in their heads after the play ins in the summer and the terrible start to this season. If you don't understand the need for defense at this point, I don't know what else to tell you.
Our best defence men is also injured unfortunately

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad