Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Total random guess but I think his injury is healed :sarcasm:

Legitimately happy he is healing up and looking good... but...

This whole injury thing is bizarre to say the least.

If he was half as injured as he appeared to be at the WJC I expected him to head home to Sweden in a body cast and not to play in 2021 again...

Broberg fans may or may not be happy to hear I have little choice but to join them and hope he comes into camp next year as the next incarnation of Hedman... Otherwise I'm not sure this team has a hope in hell of any kind of success. Our back end is looking rough right now.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

If he was half as injured as he appeared to be at the WJC I expected him to head home to Sweden in a body cast and not to play in 2021 again...

Broberg fans may or may not be happy to hear I have little choice but to join them and hope he comes into camp next year as the next incarnation of Hedman... Otherwise I'm not sure this team has a hope in hell of any kind of success. Our back end is looking rough right now.
Lol it seems like you're making something negative out of nothing. He was injured but he insisted on playing. He went back to Sweden, eventually healed up, and is back to his normal self. Heck, he's on a better point pace after the WJC.

Rough? Nurse, Bear, Jones, Bouchard, Broberg, Samorukov. I would not say that's rough

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011

I mean the type of injuries he had were painful as hell but heals quickly with some time off. Nothing strange about that. A lot of muscular injuries are of that type, you're incapacitated for 1-2 weeks where every movement hurts like hell but once it's healed it's healed.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Lol it seems like you're making something negative out of nothing. He was injured but he insisted on playing. He went back to Sweden, eventually healed up, and is back to his normal self. Heck, he's on a better point pace after the WJC.

Rough? Nurse, Bear, Jones, Bouchard, Broberg, Samorukov. I would not say that's rough

Nurse Bear is doing okay imo but...

4k Larsson & Russell Barrie + Jones... is rough. Rough enough for me to jump on the Broberg fan train and hope he makes the team as a star sooner than later.

Our prospects are of course very promising.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I mean the type of injuries he had were painful as hell but heals quickly with some time off. Nothing strange about that. A lot of muscular injuries are of that type, you're incapacitated for 1-2 weeks where every movement hurts like hell but once it's healed it's healed.

Im not a doctor but the injuries I heard about and how he played made me think he has recovered much faster than I thought possible. Which is a good thing. Let's not read too much into this.

Praying for Hedman 2.0 not Klefbom 2.0.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Nurse Bear is doing okay imo but...

4k Larsson & Russell Barrie + Jones... is rough. Rough enough for me to jump on the Broberg fan train and hope he makes the team as a star sooner than later.

Our prospects are of course very promising.
Oh I meant future wise not right now lol. If Klefbom was still playing, our defence would be much better. Nurse and Bear would in their usual ice times. Same with the rest. I think we will see Bouchard soon

Reactions: Aerchon

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Im not a doctor but the injuries I heard about and how he played made me think he has recovered much faster than I thought possible. Which is a good thing. Let's not read too much into this.

Not a doctor either but I've played enough sports at a reasonable level and got my poor body beaten to a pulp enough times to know this from personal experience.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Holland said he had a small tear above the knee and a slight shoulder separation.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Holland said he had a small tear above the knee and a slight shoulder separation.

Thanks. That sounds rough and unlikely to heal quickly or correctly while playing professional hockey. Call me crazy but barring a doctor specifically telling me professional contact sports will aid in the healing of said injuries I'd probably insist on not playing.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Klefbom 2.0 would be a massive, MASSIVE, home run. What in god's earth are you talking about? Getting a #2 Dman with the 8th overall is a resounding success.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
What is the MHL comparable to on this side of the pond?
The level is a bit worse than the CHL but it's lower scoring, so numbers are hard to compare. There are also some really bad teams that don't belong.

A guy like Podkolzin had only 8 points in 12 games in the MHL and was drafted in the top-10, and then guys who score at a point-per-game pace can go undrafted. So I wouldn't put too much stock into MHL production.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Klefbom 2.0 would be a massive, MASSIVE, home run. What in god's earth are you talking about? Getting a #2 Dman with the 8th overall is a resounding success.

There was a dual meaning that I thought was obvious. Broberg has an injured shoulder and knee... I was upgrading what I hope Broberg can become and making reference to injuries...

Aka I hope he is a star like Hedman and not injury prone like Klefbom.

A non injured Klefbom would of course be good as well.

Reactions: oilers'72

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
The level is a bit worse than the CHL but it's lower scoring, so numbers are hard to compare. There are also some really bad teams that don't belong.

A guy like Podkolzin had only 8 points in 12 games in the MHL and was drafted in the top-10, and then guys who score at a point-per-game pace can go undrafted. So I wouldn't put too much stock into MHL production.
Podkolzin looked like meh in the WJC :\

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
There was a dual meaning that I thought was obvious. Broberg has an injured shoulder and knee... I was upgrading what I hope Broberg can become and making reference to injuries...

Aka I hope he is a star like Hedman and not injury prone like Klefbom.

A non injured Klefbom would of course be good as well.

Ah, that makes sense and I should have noticed that you were making that comparison, apologies.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Scott Wheeler over at the Athletic is doing his prospect pool rankings and came out with his latest list for the Oilers, who are ranked 19th in the league. There was a couple very surprising rankings on his list.

His top 16 (tiered) is:

1. Bouchard
---------------
2. Holloway
3. Broberg
4. Puljujarvi
--------------
5. Lavoie
6. Savoie
7. Benson
8. Tulio
9. McLeod
10. Konovalov
11. Samorukov (??)
--------------
12. Rodrigue
13. Blumel
14. Maksimov
15. Mazura
16. Rasanen

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Scott Wheeler over at the Athletic is doing his prospect pool rankings and came out with his latest list for the Oilers, who are ranked 19th in the league. There was a couple very surprising rankings on his list.

His top 16 (tiered) is:

1. Bouchard
---------------
2. Holloway
3. Broberg
4. Puljujarvi
--------------
5. Lavoie
6. Savoie
7. Benson
8. Tulio
9. McLeod
10. Konovalov
11. Samorukov (??)
--------------
12. Rodrigue
13. Blumel
14. Maksimov
15. Mazura
16. Rasanen

I don't really know how to read these lists because they can be interpreted in different ways. Does it mean 'closest to NHL ready' or 'highest ceiling', or 'best prospect at the moment'?

If I were to use the 'ceiling' criteria, I'd say:

1. Bouchard - Dominates every level he's in up to this point, has exceptional offensive skill and the other areas of his game are coming along.
2. Broberg - Tough as nails, has an impressive toolkit. He seems like a clear cut top 4 LD, but I could see him as a top pairing D if we're patient with him.
3. Samorukov - Pretty complete player that is having a strong season in the KHL. He could be what we'd hoped Larsson to be - a reliable #3 that's a rock defensively.
4. Holloway - Looks to me like a complimentary top 6 F who busts their ass night in and night out. I could see his production truly blossoming in his draft +2, setting him up for a nice transition to the NHL.
5. Savoie - Boom bust guy. He has underrated passing, great offensive reads, and a lethal shot. Can't ignore his production as a rookie.
6. Lavoie - It's hard to say what his potential is personally, but he's got a great shot and uses his size well to protect pucks. Could see him as a middle-6 F.
7. Blumel - He's producing much better than expectations. Going from producing 5 points in 31 games to 24 points in 34 games in the Czech league is pretty remarkable.
8. Konovalov - He'll be fighting for a back-up job next season. I could see him as an AHL starter in his first season in NA.
9. Tulio - Can't speak much to him, other than he's a high compete guy with a nice range of skills but is lacking in size.
10. McLeod - His combination of size, speed, and 2-way ability will get him into the NHL in a limited role.
Honorable Mention: Benson is in tweener territory for me now.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
I don't really know how to read these lists because they can be interpreted in different ways. Does it mean 'closest to NHL ready' or 'highest ceiling', or 'best prospect at the moment'?

If I were to use the 'ceiling' criteria, I'd say:

1. Bouchard - Dominates every level he's in up to this point, has exceptional offensive skill and the other areas of his game are coming along.
2. Broberg - Tough as nails, has an impressive toolkit. He seems like a clear cut top 4 LD, but I could see him as a top pairing D if we're patient with him.
3. Samorukov - Pretty complete player that is having a strong season in the KHL. He could be what we'd hoped Larsson to be - a reliable #3 that's a rock defensively.
4. Holloway - Looks to me like a complimentary top 6 F who busts their ass night in and night out. I could see his production truly blossoming in his draft +2, setting him up for a nice transition to the NHL.
5. Savoie - Boom bust guy. He has underrated passing, great offensive reads, and a lethal shot. Can't ignore his production as a rookie.
6. Lavoie - It's hard to say what his potential is personally, but he's got a great shot and uses his size well to protect pucks. Could see him as a middle-6 F.
7. Blumel - He's producing much better than expectations. Going from producing 5 points in 31 games to 24 points in 34 games in the Czech league is pretty remarkable.
8. Konovalov - He'll be fighting for a back-up job next season. I could see him as an AHL starter in his first season in NA.
9. Tulio - Can't speak much to him, other than he's a high compete guy with a nice range of skills but is lacking in size.
10. McLeod - His combination of size, speed, and 2-way ability will get him into the NHL in a limited role.
Honorable Mention: Benson is in tweener territory for me now.

"You will, however, notice that consistent emphasis is placed on upside and skill in my rankings. These are not rankings based on proximity to the NHL. Players with star-level talent or top-of-the-lineup potential may rank higher than players with NHL experience who project into depth roles, even if the former group of prospects are less likely to reach their destination."

So yeah its almost entirely based on upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad