Confirmed with Link: 2019-20 NHL Season officially suspended due to COVID-19

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
One politician in Germany said that the current situation could go on for one year or even two. Yeah, if that happens, people will be on the streets rioting.
I think the hope is eventually the testing will catch up enough that we can test enough people to identify the smaller quarantines needed instead of having everybody on lockdown.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
So, I'm a teacher.

Last week, we were told there would be no school for kids on Monday (3/16), and just staff would have to come in to prepare lesson plans in the event school shuts down. On Sunday, we were all notified school would be canceled until at least the 3rd of April, and to expect it to go for longer. Staff would come in Monday and Tuesday to prepare for the transition to online classes and to get packets together for kids who don't have computers, etc.

So I'm sitting here at home, pud in hand, for the next three weeks, with nothing to do really. I'm gonna go INSANE.

Also, in NY, every school is closed until April 19th at least. In VT, the 6th. NH, the 3rd.

Reactions: Still All In

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
So, I'm a teacher.

Last week, we were told there would be no school for kids on Monday (3/16), and just staff would have to come in to prepare lesson plans in the event school shuts down. On Sunday, we were all notified school would be canceled until at least the 3rd of April, and to expect it to go for longer. Staff would come in Monday and Tuesday to prepare for the transition to online classes and to get packets together for kids who don't have computers, etc.

So I'm sitting here at home, pud in hand, for the next three weeks, with nothing to do really. I'm gonna go INSANE.

Also, in NY, every school is closed until April 19th at least. In VT, the 6th. NH, the 3rd.

I'm also a teacher and our schools are all closed down for at least two weeks, probably longer. Faculty met on Monday to prepare for the transition to online classes. Yesterday was practice with online meetings with our homerooms. We are fortunate that we're a private school that issues an iPad and a MacBook to each student so the only concern is if they have internet access at home. Those will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Our classes will meet virtually during the regularly scheduled times. So we have to figure out how to present content, how to securely assess online and, in my case as a physics teacher, figure out how to conducts labs online. :eek: Fortunately there are some good sites for physics lab simulations, but still...

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I'm also a teacher and our schools are all closed down for at least two weeks, probably longer. Faculty met on Monday to prepare for the transition to online classes. Yesterday was practice with online meetings with our homerooms. We are fortunate that we're a private school that issues an iPad and a MacBook to each student so the only concern is if they have internet access at home. Those will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Our classes will meet virtually during the regularly scheduled times. So we have to figure out how to present content, how to securely assess online and, in my case as a physics teacher, figure out how to conducts labs online. :eek: Fortunately there are some good sites for physics lab simulations, but still...

I posted all my lessons to be scheduled every Monday on Google Classroom. 2/3rds of these kids here don't have computers or internet at home, and of the 1/3 that actually do, I'm betting less than half actually log on and do the work. There isn't really any... oversight? on this? It's basically just sub plans, put online. For us, anyway. With a private school, you could probably get some actual teaching done though. That all being said, this area is tough, and has a ton of problems, internal and external. But I will also say, I've already had two kids ask me for more work, so I'm letting them pick a topic and I'll assign something for them when they pick it.

You're a physics teacher, correct?

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I posted all my lessons to be scheduled every Monday on Google Classroom. 2/3rds of these kids here don't have computers or internet at home, and of the 1/3 that actually do, I'm betting less than half actually log on and do the work. There isn't really any... oversight? on this? It's basically just sub plans, put online. For us, anyway. With a private school, you could probably get some actual teaching done though. That all being said, this area is tough, and has a ton of problems, internal and external. But I will also say, I've already had two kids ask me for more work, so I'm letting them pick a topic and I'll assign something for them when they pick it.

You're a physics teacher, correct?

Yup. Physics is my thing! Giant slinkies, Van de Graaff generators, Tesla coils, catapults, hockey pucks... I have the BEST toys. :DD

I teach at a private school that supplies iPads and MacBooks to all our students, including those attending on full scholarship. The ones that might have issues getting online will be helped as needed but that’s not very many. Of course, our high school only has about 450 students.

We’re actually all required to use Google Meet to hold all of our scheduled classes and take attendance. We can use that to present topics or can record our presentations and put them up on our school email YouTube accounts. Then we give them assignments that they can do on their own.

For example, today I gave them a Circuits Gizmo (interactive circuit simulator) with a worksheet via our LMS. After I summarized what we’d be doing, reminded them that they could find their assignment on our LMS, I then stayed in the Google Meet ‘room’ to answer questions but let them sign off. Several students have logged back in to ask questions. Am still in it now waiting for 3:25 to come. :P All work is handed in through our LMS so I can give them deadlines and see if they’ve turned it in.

I’ll be doing summative assessments using Google Forms and simply ‘turning off’ the acceptance of responses when time is up. Yes, they can use any of their materials, but, as you know, with any open notes test, the biggest problem is timing. They are very specifically given a limited amount of time to finish answering all the questions.

It certainly isn’t perfect, but at least we’re continuing to give them some learning experiences while our school building is closed.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
eeeh season is screwed,i hope that it will be better,but it seems that season is screwed. It was th lightning year.Hopefully that next season we will win the cup,but now,all is messed up cuz of that virus...sorry for my pessimism((

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Isn’t it crazy if the whole world self isolated for 3 weeks all viruses including the common cold would be wiped out to oblivion!?!?

it’s sad that this will never happen.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I don't think the math makes sense. If it's doubling every few days, it'll reach a plateau and daily infections will start to drop. There also hasn't been any talk of someone re-catching COVID, although I suspect that there will be at least a few outliers.

Based on the Spanish Flu, two months seems fair.

Most experts expect a second WAVE for COVID. so I’m going with that.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Well the fact that most likely only 20 percent of cases are actually reported. Most people just “get sick” then recover and don’t get tested

20% might be a bit optimistic. For instance, anybody really think the US cases are at 9k? As opposed to literally everywhere and people simply don’t know they have it?

Just because the confirmed cases keeping increasing doesn’t necessarily mean it’s spreading faster (it is possible though) as opposed to people simply getting tested and being confirmed.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that the actual number is significantly higher across the world than we’ll ever know because of simply recovering without testing.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad