Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Matthews deal just made this harder - can't help but feel that Dubas is being put through the ringer for these deals. Feel like he overpayed Nylander 1M and now the same for Matthews. How does he get 11.634 with only giving up 5 years? His first deal is straight to UFA, feel like he's going to screw us over.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Move Zaitsev and Kadri in a deal for one young top 4 RD and a prospect

Marleau - Nylander - Bracco

Muzzin - Rielly
Gardiner - New Guy
Dermott - Hainsey

So Kadri + Zaistev for Pesce...
I'd rather keep Kadri, let Gardiner walk and see if we can get Pesce in a different deal.

Muzzin - Rielly
Dermott - Pesce
Rosen - Hainsey

Don't think re-signing Gardiner is reasonable. Not a good idea to pay inflated UFA contracts.

Reactions: leuf

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So Kadri + Zaistev for Pesce...
I'd rather keep Kadri, let Gardiner walk and see if we can get Pesce in a different deal.

Muzzin - Rielly
Dermott - Pesce
Rosen - Hainsey

Don't think re-signing Gardiner is reasonable. Not a good idea to pay inflated UFA contracts.

It's about the $9 million used between Kadri and Zaitsev.

If there was no Marleau ...

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
It's about the $9 million used between Kadri and Zaitsev.

If there was no Marleau ...

Marleau doesn't change much, the hurdle is the Dermott + Andersen contract. Freeing up 6M next year would help if we were signing Gardiner to a 1 year deal, but past that I doesn't do much.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I mean, I'm not complaining, but I just don't see how the cap can keep rising more than inflation. At some point the upper-middle class has to tap-out at the turnstyle.

sounds like a big gambling contract boost coming. as well as a likely more lucrative tv contract in 2021. and of course the seattle expansion fee.

Reactions: Menzinger

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Top-3 forwards, Top-2 Dmen, #1 goalie next year

TBL: 36.1 + Point
TOR: 36.6 + Marner

Next 6 Contracts:

TBL: 31.0 (with Callahan's 5.8 being painlessly removable)
TOR: 22.2 + Kappy + Johnsson (with Marleau's and Zaitsev's 10.8 being painlessly removable)

Other above min:

TBL: Carle 1.8, Domingue 1.2
TOR: Hyman 2.3, Brown 2.1, Kessel 1.2

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
Something like this is still doable
Trade Johnsson, Zaitsev, any picks or prospects for Pesce
Trade Brown for a pick
Sign Maroon, Ennis, Oz

Alternatively, could trade Kap straight up for Pesce and Resign Johnsson for 2.5 Ish, saving an additional million

This roster is still top end imo

Works out to 82.6 M total

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 2.30.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 2.30.27 PM.png
    122 KB · Views: 29

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The only good out of this is Tampa is now screwed. The 12M Point ask looks like a steal now. and maybe for 5-6 years. Tampa must deal a couple mid range wingers. They will be giving up picks and prospects to get this done in next month. Weakens them a little in their cup run.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
The only good out of this is Tampa is now screwed. The 12M Point ask looks like a steal now. and maybe for 5-6 years. Tampa must deal a couple mid range wingers. They will be giving up picks and prospects to get this done in next month. Weakens them a little in their cup run.

TB currently has 73.1 million signed among 16 players next year, with Point in the 10 million range, brings them up to 83.1, if they can move Callahan that would give them 5.8 million more in cap(final year shouldn't be difficult). that means there number comes back to 77.3 giving them 16 players signed for that figure. they would have roughly 7 million(85 cap) for another 7 guys. not really a problem if they can move Callahan. they will probably also move 1 of Miller/Palat to create room to add a quality defender. if they do that it would free up another 5 million. not really all bad of shape. they have no reason to deal off any players for this year. in fact according to cap friendly on deadline day they can add 7.9 million in salary still. so they would clearly still have room to add if they choose to. and not just a decent player they could add a premium guy whose contract is expiring,

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
TB currently has 73.1 million signed among 16 players next year, with Point in the 10 million range, brings them up to 83.1, if they can move Callahan that would give them 5.8 million more in cap(final year shouldn't be difficult). that means there number comes back to 77.3 giving them 16 players signed for that figure. they would have roughly 7 million(85 cap) for another 7 guys. not really a problem if they can move Callahan. they will probably also move 1 of Miller/Palat to create room to add a quality defender. if they do that it would free up another 5 million. not really all bad of shape. they have no reason to deal off any players for this year. in fact according to cap friendly on deadline day they can add 7.9 million in salary still. so they would clearly still have room to add if they choose to. and not just a decent player they could add a premium guy whose contract is expiring,
Tampa is out there now actively trying to move both Callahan and Miller. They will move picks and prospects to get it done. Point is firm on 12M. He will not take a single penny less. He has already let Tampa know this. Tampa is screwed NEXT SEASON and they know it. Even their Kuch line did not work. Yes remainder of this season they are fine.

Reactions: LDN

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Because he was from a multi millionaire family AND held out until literally the last 30 minutes..... You think that is going to happen again? Bottom line is even holding out until the last hour nylander got paid .0875 of the cap. Players of his comparable talents generally sign for 8-9 percent of the cap....

He got the high end, but still the upper range of his contract. Ehlers signed for security, and went a little low. Good for the jets. People act like nylanders hit is an atrocity. Its probably at most 500k over.

Most stars who arent Crosby/Malkin/Ovy/ Mcdavid level took 11 percent on a 5-6 year deal. Tavares went a little lower for the isles.... Kane etc went a little high.

Matthews probably sees himself at the high end of that level, which would be about 11-12 percent. About 9-10 million a year....

EDIT: 8-9 percent of the cap is generally for 6 year deals. Forsberg, Monahan etc all signed for this. Larkin signed for 7.75 on a 5 year deal. Willy was in the high range of normal.

I would have thought. 6.25-6.5 x 6. He ended up at 6.9..... its not a disaster to have to pay 500k over.....

WTF are you talking about??? Larkin signed for 6.1 million per

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
sounds like a big gambling contract boost coming. as well as a likely more lucrative tv contract in 2021. and of course the seattle expansion fee.

The TV deal will be huge for revenue.

I have heard that the expansion fee is not considered HRR

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I would have preferred Matthews at 6 years but I trust there is a plan in place, Matthews will become a UFA in the 2024-25 season just as Nylander will. I wouldn't be surprised if Marner also gets 5-6 years in some strategy to keep their cap hits as low as possible to fit everyone in for a solid window of runs.

I saw this last night on TSN for the Leafs projected payroll for the upcoming 2019-20 season. (They pegged Matthews at 11.5 last night, but its 11.6 in reality.

Marleau (6.25) Matthews (11.6) Marner (10.0)
Hyman (2.25) Tavares (11.0) Nylander (6.9)
Johnsson (2.25) Kadri (4.5) Kapanen (2.75)
TBD (750k) Gauthier (675k) Moore (775k)

Muzzin (4.0) - Rielly (5.0)
Dermott (863k) - Zaitsev (4.5)
Rosen (750k) - Hainsey (2.0)

Andersen (5.0)
Sparks (750k)

Goalies - 5.75 M
Defence - 17.1 M
Forwards - 59.7 M

Total - 82.5 Million.

Projected NHL Cap - 85 Million (They said this was the projected cap, with Leafs still retaining Kessel its 83 mill for us)
Leafs Actual Cap - 83.8 Million

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Matthews deal just made this harder - can't help but feel that Dubas is being put through the ringer for these deals. Feel like he overpayed Nylander 1M and now the same for Matthews. How does he get 11.634 with only giving up 5 years? His first deal is straight to UFA, feel like he's going to screw us over.

Matthews obviously wanted much more money and they settled with a “team friendly contract”. Matthews is looking for a 14-15 million deal in five years time. Pure greed, but not something unheard of, on the contrary.
It all comes down to how much you want to have a ring on your finger when you retire. 10.5 or 11.5 (hell, even 5 mill) yearly doesnt matter when it comes to future life quality, only how much you can spend on a private jet

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
With the signing of Matthews and the pending signing of Marner the Leafs are in a bit of trouble with the cap next season. Who will they move? Also how will they add to this years version of the team to compete for the ultimate goal ?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Marleau traded to SJ for a 7th at a 3.12 cap hit for
750k real dollars.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDN

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
You HAVE to trade one of zaitsev or marleau.

My opinion:

Zaitsev + johnsson for pesce

Marleau to sj for whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad