Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Is there any relief available from the Horton contract?
Maybe Muzzin is a one and done and gets traded? Recoup the assets.
I think Nylander is the dumbest thing that Dubas has done. Love to get draft picks and prospects for him in the off season. Hope he finishes strong.

I can see a good chance of us finally ditching that Horton deal in the off-season now that there's going to be 1 season left. That solves many of our issues at the cost of probably a 2nd rounder or something close.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
So I was thinking, I like the Muzzin trade, we needed a Dman but what does next year look like now? It was already tight to fit everyone in before we traded for a 4M+ Dman,

I have attached something for you to look at, do you agree someone else needs to go?

1. League allows for teams to have 20-23 players on its roster. Next year, we may need to have only 21. That saves a little $.
2. Can we get both Matthews and Marner for under 20 M combined?
3. Can we get Kapanen and Johnson for under 5M?

Already we know there is no money to keep Gardiner or Hainsey, so cheap rookies or veterans will have to take their places.

I am thinking Zaitsev or Johnsson or brown may also need to go and replaced with a cheaper option.

Next year is going to be so tight. There are basically 5 spots we need to fill outlined below in white.

View attachment 180733 View attachment 180733
Thanks for the chart...what number do your projections add up too? Is it less than 81.8 million?

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
It's crazy that some people think the Leafs would overlook something pretty basic about the NHL Salary Cap.

Especially when we've been calling guys up and sending them back down to save every single penny.

Muzzin only costs us $1.8 or so due to the timing.

Dubas has been managing for those 19-20 overages since day 1 last year when he was hired.

Reactions: PromisedLand and kb

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I stated a couple posts earlier why.

The cap circumvention fear mongering is a weak argument.

The scenario literally just played out and the NHL found no issue with it.

But we're supposed to believe Toronto will be the team the NHL decides to come down on for it? I'll believe that when I see it while Lupul and Robidas laugh at the thought of it.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Give Marleau back to the Sharks for nothing after the July 1st bonuses are paid out and give Zaitsev away along with pics/prospects. If needed trade Brown and promote a 700K marlie. Mission accomplished.

They have no cap space to do that. Bonuses paid or not is irrelevant to SJ.

Reactions: kb

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Horton is only cash payment which we have plenty of. Horton does not affect the CAP. Why would anyone want to pay his last years salary? and why would we give up an asset for someone to do that? Am I missing something here?

Horton absolutely effects the cap. You can't LTIR his salary and save cap space for bonus overages.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Give Marleau back to the Sharks for nothing after the July 1st bonuses are paid out and give Zaitsev away along with pics/prospects. If needed trade Brown and promote a 700K marlie. Mission accomplished.
Marleau = NMC

Reactions: Macallan18

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Marleau = NMC

So lets pretend he digs in and says "Nope, NMC, not leaving"

And Babcock says "Fine. Don't leave. But also don't plan on playing because we don't have room for you"

Is he going to dig in or try and find a mutual out to help both sides?

He may control his trade status. But we control if he ever steps on the ice with this team again.

That "hammer" goes both ways. I don't see Marleau as the type of guy willing to dig in over $1.25 mil when he can work his way around it and potentially even still end up back in Toronto on a lower cap hit and be made whole financially.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

And Babcock says "Fine. Don't leave. But also don't plan on playing because we don't have room for you"

He may control his trade status. But we control if he ever steps on the ice with this team again.

That "hammer" goes both ways. I don't see Marleau as the type of guy willing to dig in over $1.25 mil when he can work his way around it and potentially even still end up back in Toronto on a lower cap hit and be made whole financially.
Lol cmon, they're not going to treat Patrick Marleau like that.

RLF

May 5, 2014
The cap circumvention fear mongering is a weak argument.

The scenario literally just played out and the NHL found no issue with it.

But we're supposed to believe Toronto will be the team the NHL decides to come down on for it? I'll believe that when I see it while Lupul and Robidas laugh at the thought of it.

LOL. It's not fear mongering. The NHL investigated. Why do you think they did? Because they thought it was maybe set up in advance to circumvent the cap. Orpik was left on the open market for weeks and with incentives can make the same money as his previous cap hit. Doesn't make you wonder why no one else has done it as well? There is more to it than just re-siging him for cheap.

NHL clears Capitals on trading, signing Brooks Orpik after buyout - Sportsnet.ca

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I'd be surprised if they treat him like that.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Lol cmon, they're not going to treat Patrick Marleau like that.

So we're not going to do that to him but he's going to hold the cap hit over us? It works both ways.

Neither of those situations will play out like that because there's other ways to mutually separate that will be beneficial to both which is the agreement he agreed to when he signed here as evident by that 3rd year used to get him more money over a shorter period of time.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Something that is often neglected to be taken into account for are Leafs carryover bonus penalties.

Currently the Leafs are looking at potentially as much as ...

POTENTIAL PERFORMANCE BONUSES [The sum of performance bonuses obtainable by players currently listed on the active roster] $5,400,000

Aren't we setup so those bonuses get paid out against this year's cap?

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
So we're not going to do that to him but he's going to hold the cap hit over us? It works both ways.

Neither of those situations will play out like that because there's other ways to mutually separate that will be beneficial to both which is the agreement he agreed to when he signed here as evident by that 3rd year used to get him more money over a shorter period of time.
"Hold the cap hit over us" or fulfill the contract that the Maple Leafs gave him?

No one knows what the Leafs and Marleau agreed to other than what the actual contract says. Its all speculation on your part. Not even one reputable insider has said that the Leafs and Marleau have an agreement where he doesnt play his 3rd year here.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It wouldn't matter on Marleau anyway. You can't plan a trade/buyout and resign. It is cap circumvention. The Caps were investigated about Orpik and in their case, it was just a coincidence. You can bet the League has already warned teams about trying this and will be all over a team if it happens

I don’t think we can absolve shady business here. At the least, AZ circumvented cap by trading for him for the sole purpose of buying him out to carry the cap hit. They gave up hockey assets to artificially hit the cap floor. The league chose not to do anything here, and could very well choose not to do anything again.

That said, one difference is Marleaus NMC. Hard to deny intent when Marleau was ready to waive the NMC, then signs back...

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
"Hold the cap hit over us" or fulfill the contract that the Maple Leafs gave him?

No one knows what the Leafs and Marleau agreed to other than what the actual contract says. Its all speculation on your part. Not even one reputable insider has said that the Leafs and Marleau have an agreement where he doesnt play his 3rd year here.

Like the contracts Lupul and Robidas were given?

Nobody is going to report on something as hush-hush as a situation like that. Since when does an insider need to report on it for it to be a realistic possibility? It makes more sense then him playing the year for $1.25 million.

Newsflash: This entire forum is all speculation from all of us. But lets do a poll and see who actually thinks we signed Marleau for 3 years with full intentions on seeing out that 3rd year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->