I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
On Quick's play this season thus far...

giphy.gif

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Quick wasn't our problem last night. Let's get real, with this up-tempo system, we are going to let in our share of goals. The issue last night was FINISH. I can think of 3-4 grade-A chances that the Kings should have buried, but didn't. Carter had prob 2-3...I know Kopi had one...our opportunities were there, we didn't execute. Stop blaming everything on Quick.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I like the compete level on this team and even better I like the fact that most of the tradable guys are having bounce back seasons and improving their trade values!!!
Blake and Co shoul ddo everything in their power to acquire at minimum another 1st and 2nd with how deep this upcoming draft is..
Hutton
Toffoli
Lewis
Martinez
Campbell
Kovalchuk
These guys have looked good and can help a contender so they can be had. let's just hope they keep it up until the TDL

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Kings are missing Forbort on the PK. Hutton-Doughty combo has been shaky. On a brighter note, Ryan and Roy are a combined +8 the two games they have been paired together. Martinez continues to pile up the minuses no matter who he plays with.

Marty needs to get moved this TDL, he's going into a steeper decline and we need to maximize what we can for him. The guy needs a defensively responsible pairing to allow him to play his game but he wont get that on this team.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
If Sean Walker continues to show himself to be a good future middle-pair defenseman, maybe bottom pair on a really good team, that alone might make this season worth it, regardless of actual team results.

Side note, yes, the blue line as a whole is terrible, but Walker might actually be a decent piece going forward.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
If Sean Walker continues to show himself to be a good future middle-pair defenseman, maybe bottom pair on a really good team, that alone might make this season worth it, regardless of actual team results.

Side note, yes, the blue line as a whole is terrible, but Walker might actually be a decent piece going forward.

Small sample size, but this style of offense suits his game. Still, he has some weaknesses defensively that will be exposed from time to time, but his compete level and skating are outstanding. Glad he is doing well so far.

Reactions: KopitarFAN

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The defense is partly young, partly inexperienced, and haven't played together long enough to generate any real trust and chemistry.

From what I have seen, the single biggest problem the team has had to deal with so far isn't the play of the defensemen, but the constant parade of turnovers happening in between the top of the circles in both zones. Thats a product of a team in transition, and should ease up over the coming weeks.

Of course, that works for the opposition as well, so I expect far more 4-2 type games than these bloated scores we have been seeing so far.

The only individual players who appear to be really struggling are Bjornfot and Quick. Hopefully a few days of practice and watching will have help Bjornfot acclimate to the league. As far as Quick goes, he is fighting everything now. Everybody else is within the range of what should be expected, both the highs and lows.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I like the compete level on this team and even better I like the fact that most of the tradable guys are having bounce back seasons and improving their trade values!!!
Blake and Co shoul ddo everything in their power to acquire at minimum another 1st and 2nd with how deep this upcoming draft is..
Hutton
Toffoli
Lewis
Martinez
Campbell
Kovalchuk
These guys have looked good and can help a contender so they can be had. let's just hope they keep it up until the TDL

That doesn't necessarily help with trying to get a 1st and 2nd. Especially when the bait is that list. How many teams will be in a real contending position, who wouldn't rather just keep the pick in a deep draft? Toffoli doesn't have a playoff goal since 2014. How many 36/37 year olds have trade value?

I was saying that too this summer. This year isn't about the veterans(well nothing is about them anymore), and the real prospects aren't here yet. This year is about killing another year off contracts, and guys like Walker. The one or two guys that might be decent depth one day. Even Kempe is on that list at this point. Seeing if anyone in that middle group is worth keeping around. Iafallo would also be there. This year, next year, then he's a UFA. A choice will soon have to be made.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Vegas has a nicely stacked forward corps. An older Fleury out performing a younger Quick should tell you all that you need to know about the King's goaltender situation.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Vegas has a nicely stacked forward corps. An older Fleury out performing a younger Quick should tell you all that you need to know about the King's goaltender situation.

Fleury had some great saves, now if Carts and Kopi could have elevated the puck on a couple of those easy goal But Fleury was really solid.

No complaints from the offensive side of things, as the Kings had a lot of grade A scoring chances

Quickie rebound control is not there, and with a questionable D it needs to be better. Also he let in 2 on 3 shots then settled in pretty well, only on the power play did he struggle as did the Kings D. But I remember days of Quick also getting peppered with point blank and high end scoring chances during the PK, and he stood tall. Wasn't Vegas 3 for 3?

Fleury had some real grade A chances put on him and he managed to come up big.

You hope Quick can figure it out, he needs to adjust his game to a more no wasted movement (and he may not be capable), the D isn't as good as years past. But many of us on here also argued with many on the main board saying Quick was not a system goalie. Right now I am not so sure my defense was of Quick was fully accurate.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Fleury had some great saves, now if Carts and Kopi could have elevated the puck on a couple of those easy goal But Fleury was really solid.

No complaints from the offensive side of things, as the Kings had a lot of grade A scoring chances

Quickie rebound control is not there, and with a questionable D it needs to be better. Also he let in 2 on 3 shots then settled in pretty well, only on the power play did he struggle as did the Kings D. But I remember days of Quick also getting peppered with point blank and high end scoring chances during the PK, and he stood tall. Wasn't Vegas 3 for 3?

Fleury had some real grade A chances put on him and he managed to come up big.

You hope Quick can figure it out, he needs to adjust his game to a more no wasted movement (and he may not be capable), the D isn't as good as years past. But many of us on here also argued with many on the main board saying Quick was not a system goalie. Right now I am not so sure my defense was of Quick was fully accurate.

Obviously Quick is out of sync but you're forgetting the biggest probelm and its been happening for years.. These guys expect Quick to stop everything as he's done before but he obviously cant because he's not the same guy..
Our defense is really a mess, take away our ability to pass and rush the puck, guys like Roy, Walker and Ryan have as expected struggled though Roy was brutal. As they gain more experience we should see our defense solidify an dboth Quick and Campbell look better as teh year drags along..
The other major struggle we're experiencing is the constant turnovers from our forwards in our own end and most troublesome of all are the TOs 6-10 ft away from Quick with either lazy passing, lack of awareness or just getting outmuscled because of Defense is undersized. Those point blank shots are happening far too often..

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
So, I'm listening to this 'All The Kings Men' podcast....and they have Dave Joseph on.....wow, I actually like this guys voice when he's not trying to be such a cheesedick!

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
For the future, the Kings could use a couple top 6 power forwards that can score. Plus a big right handed number 2 defense men, they could also use a tough hard hitting 3rd pair defensemen too. They have a lot of left handed defense prospects, they need some big right defensemen also.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Doughty's interviews compared to Quick's is night and day

Jonathan Quick, on whether he’s experienced a start to the season like this:
I don’t know, I’m sure it’s online, you could look.
Quick, on whether he’s seeing the puck well:
Yeah.
Quick, on whether today’s game represented a step forward:
It’s a loss, so the same as the last two. [Reporter: So, you don’t sense any difference either way?] It’s a loss. You either win or you lose. Either one or the other.
Quick, on whether he entered the season satisfied with his preseason:
Yeah.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
So, I'm listening to this 'All The Kings Men' podcast....and they have Dave Joseph on.....wow, I actually like this guys voice when he's not trying to be such a cheesedick!

I don't get why everything has to be screaming and excitement with the rinkside/courtside announcers.

Maybe I'm boring, but I love guys like Budd Lynch (Red Wings, RIP) and Lawrence Tanter (Lakers).

Dexter Sinister

Sep 26, 2015
Idahizzle
Obviously Quick is out of sync but you're forgetting the biggest probelm and its been happening for years.. These guys expect Quick to stop everything as he's done before but he obviously cant because he's not the same guy..
Our defense is really a mess, take away our ability to pass and rush the puck, guys like Roy, Walker and Ryan have as expected struggled though Roy was brutal. As they gain more experience we should see our defense solidify an dboth Quick and Campbell look better as teh year drags along..
The other major struggle we're experiencing is the constant turnovers from our forwards in our own end and most troublesome of all are the TOs 6-10 ft away from Quick with either lazy passing, lack of awareness or just getting outmuscled because of Defense is undersized. Those point blank shots are happening far too often..

This isn't meant to single you out. I agree with you, I just don't think it is necessarily Quick not being the same guy, I think its because its not the same system.

We saw it with every other goalie that left. Even Jones has been mediocre lately (last season and so far this season).

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Pretty normal Quick interview. Even in victories he was never very talkative in interviews, usually passed credit to other players and unless it was a shutout, would mention the goals he gave up.
yeah i want to be bitter about it but he's never given journalists a thing so it's not just sour grapes

i do think "are you seeing the puck well" would probably piss me right the f*** off if i was a goalie

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
This isn't meant to single you out. I agree with you, I just don't think it is necessarily Quick not being the same guy, I think its because its not the same system.

We saw it with every other goalie that left. Even Jones has been mediocre lately (last season and so far this season).

I know im beating a dead horse but losing Erik Cernak's size,physicality and toughness really hurt our defense.. Quick needs the help of a big Dman that can clear the crease to afford him greater visibilty, and allow him to set himself up instead of scrambling like he is currently and the same goes for Soupy..
We need a Hamonic/Broadie, hell i'd take Bogosian at a sub $3mil rate.. I know people are liking Hutton but if we're smart he's a goner for assets.. We have Bjornfot and Anderson who both seem like they'll be battling for permanent spots next seasons as LHD. Do we really want another sason of Walker and/or Roy ? both sub 6ft, both 190lbs soaking wet... I get Walker is scoring and can be paired with For bort whom I think we resign but Roy needs to be replaced with size...
Also, I know you didm't single me out but I made that comment as a general reference to the mentality this team still has when Quickie is in net.. Quick needs help, as will Soupy or CAmpbell in the near future..

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
yeah i want to be bitter about it but he's never given journalists a thing so it's not just sour grapes

i do think "are you seeing the puck well" would probably piss me right the **** off if i was a goalie
My answer would be something like "Well I have been closing my eyes about 50% of the time so I guess I need to work on that"

Reactions: Dexter Sinister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad