GDT: 2019-20 GM#5 LA Kings vs Vegas Golden Knights @7:00pm 10/13/19

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
To elaborate...

Vegas getting the puck off the ice on their shots was the difference. Fleury just had to make the saves he was supposed to make. Quick wasn't able to make a save he shouldn't make to change the momentum Vegas owned from the start of the 2nd on to the end.
That’s selling Fluery short a bit I think. A few of those saves he made were not routine saves. Kopitar’s shot was crap though. I agree though that lifting the puck is going to get you more goals than not.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Team has the lowest 5v5 save % in the league by more than 3%, i've never quite seen anything like it.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Take your blinders off. Campbell would have stopped two or three of those. He's a much bigger goalie so he takes up more space. Even when he's in the butterfly, he still can take away the high shots. Also as fast as the Knights are, you need a goalie who's good at playing the puck. Campbell plays the puck very well. The numbers don't lie, Campbell 2-0 and Quick 0-3.
i wouldn't be too surprised to see campbell getting more starts going forward

lots of fundamental mistakes between the two of them though, not exactly encouraging

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Take your blinders off. Campbell would have stopped two or three of those. He's a much bigger goalie so he takes up more space. Even when he's in the butterfly, he still can take away the high shots. Also as fast as the Knights are, you need a goalie who's good at playing the puck. Campbell plays the puck very well. The numbers don't lie, Campbell 2-0 and Quick 0-3.

Jack Campbell is sporting a .895 against two teams we completely dominated but the offense still had to bail him out. Can we stop pretending he's the savior, or that he's getting the raw end of the stick somehow?

The HDCF% against the Flames was 60% but it still took OT. The HDCF% against the Preds was 73% but it took literal last minute heroics.

I think most of us would agree he's likely to get the next start. The two sets of back-to-backs and both goalies sucking league-worst-style has forced the splits.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
One team was also literally perfect on special teams.

Really agreed though, simply goaltending and PP/PK. Rest of the game was fine, good effort.

Carter is cursed, Kempe is just the fast reckless kid on Mighty Ducks 2, every else had their moments. Doughty/Hutton were the tire fire tonight, I liked all our other dmen. Roy was very physical with the stepups, Walker ruled at carrying the puck, Ryan quietly looked incredibly poised.

Amadio is just getting better every game.

kempe is starting to scream 1st round bust. Still not sure what the guy can do, other than skate. Where does he even fit on this team?

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Take your blinders off.

Campbell let in three shitters just last night. Both goalies are not up to the task at the moment.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
'74-'75 Caps 446 GA in a season GAA was 5.58
qeBmZ8p.gif

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
kempe is starting to scream 1st round bust. Still not sure what the guy can do, other than skate. Where does he even fit on this team?
one of my biggest beefs right now

skates the puck into the zone, around all the defenders.......... and then?

kingsholygrail

Insurmountable Leads 1-3
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The numbers don't lie. Campbell has given up 3 goal leads in both of his starts. He gave up 3 vs Calgary and 4 vs Nashville. So the Kings lose tonight by one less goal? Mind blowing. What a life saver.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i don't reeeeally want to pile on the quick shitwagon but i think this team would benefit currently from the more standard goalkeeping campbell provides

when he's quiet in net and ACTUALLY CORRECTLY EXECUTES AN RVH POST HOLD i think it benefits the team a lot more than quick's theatrics

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
i don't reeeeally want to pile on the quick ****wagon but i think this team would benefit currently from the more standard goalkeeping campbell provides

when he's quiet in net and ACTUALLY CORRECTLY EXECUTES AN RVH POST HOLD i think it benefits the team a lot more than quick's theatrics

But he's not providing it right now, either.

Have to basically alternate guys until someone figures out how to goalie in the NHL again.

Not @ you but I'm genuinely confused at how people can pretend Campbell isn't a problem right now as well while they show up to dogpile Quick.

kingsholygrail

Insurmountable Leads 1-3
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
i don't reeeeally want to pile on the quick ****wagon but i think this team would benefit currently from the more standard goalkeeping campbell provides

They haven't benefited so far this season.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Looks like all the LA team sucked today.

Meh. I left Diggs, Tate, Sanders and Henry on my bench and still put up the biggest score in my league. Still a good day for some of us.

Kings are trash though. Knew I should have punted on the seats tonight but I want to soak up that Vegas trash to make it so much sweeter when we're f***ing them in the ass on the reg.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
But he's not providing it right now, either.

Have to basically alternate guys until someone figures out how to goalie in the NHL again.
i just think he's easier to reel in than quick yknow? quick has the doughty mindframe where if he f***s up, he's gotta make up for it by doing something twice as wild instead of sucking back and playing fundamentally

kingsholygrail

Insurmountable Leads 1-3
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
i just think he's easier to reel in than quick yknow? quick has the doughty mindframe where if he ****s up, he's gotta make up for it by doing something twice as wild instead of sucking back and playing fundamentally
What was anything wild that he did tonight?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Jack Campbell is sporting a .895 against two teams we completely dominated but the offense still had to bail him out. Can we stop pretending he's the savior, or that he's getting the raw end of the stick somehow?

The HDCF% against the Flames was 60% but it still took OT. The HDCF% against the Preds was 73% but it took literal last minute heroics.

I think most of us would agree he's likely to get the next start. The two sets of back-to-backs and both goalies sucking league-worst-style has forced the splits.
Stopping close to 90% is better than stopping only 80%!

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Don't be fooled that Quick is actually playing better. He's giving up bad rebounds on some shots and then having to make a spectacular save to cover his mistakes. One of his problems is he's not controlling first shots where there should be no rebounds. It appears to me that Quick doesn't know how to stay upright on certain shots. He's almost halfway down or lower on every shot.
That is exactly my beef. Stay calm. And stay in the net. And don’t go down for no reason!!

kingsholygrail

Insurmountable Leads 1-3
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Not significantly enough to make a difference tonight or vs Vancouver or versus Edmonton. If you're under .910, you're not an NHL caliber starter. They're both not playing high enough level statistically. So either your goalies are both the problem or something else might be going on.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
What was anything wild that he did tonight?
i'm not hammering on quick's play tonight, i'm talking more big picture and going forward

it's just those little plays where he slides to narnia instead of just sliding to his post like campbell would, those are things that would aid this current sieve of a d corps

it's not so much commentary on the players themselves, moreso on what makes the most cohesive unit out there

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Sure, but you're ignoring context, too.

The preds literally only took 26% of the dangerous shots in the game and put up a 5 spot. The Oilers took more than twice that at 53% and put up a 6 spot.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
i'm not hammering on quick's play tonight, i'm talking more big picture and going forward

it's just those little plays where he slides to narnia instead of just sliding to his post like campbell would, those are things that would aid this current sieve of a d corps

it's not so much commentary on the players themselves, moreso on what makes the most cohesive unit out there

Stylistic issues I can get on board with. But not sure that's gonna get solved with this year's team or Quick in general (unless he can be coached into being quieter like he is when he's dominating).

The results aren't there either way, though.

kingsholygrail

Insurmountable Leads 1-3
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

You can't even bring up a play tonight, but you want to be a part of the discussion for Quick's performance tonight a purely style basis? Quick's not changing his style. I wish people would give up the style argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad