GDT: 2019-20 GM#5 LA Kings vs Vegas Golden Knights @7:00pm 10/13/19

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
You can't even bring up a play tonight, but you want to be a part of the discussion for Quick's performance tonight a purely style basis? Quick's not changing his style. I wish people would give up the style argument.
not what i said at all but ok

ight ima head out

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I rather go with the guy having a 2-0 record with 3.47 GAA then the guy having an 0-3 record with a 6.33 GAA!
Well, it's a back to back situation and you spent your guy the night before and he got a lot of work. So you'd rather put him in and risk a bad game/injury or do what you normally do and use your other goalie? And before you say "Well Vegas did it," keep in mind Subban is hurt and normally would have played tonight in place of MAF on a back to back.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Well, it's a back to back situation and you spent your guy the night before and he got a lot of work. So you'd rather put him in and risk a bad game/injury or do what you normally do and use your other goalie? And before you say "Well Vegas did it," keep in mind Subban is hurt and normally would have played tonight in place of MAF on a back to back.
This is very early in the season so goalies are capable of playing back-to-back games. It's not like it's the 2nd half of the season when goalies are a bit worn down.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
That is exactly my beef. Stay calm. And stay in the net. And don’t go down for no reason!!

Two of Campbells goals last night , he did exactly that. Plus, he had one hit him right in the chest and didn't control it , then it went in. Both guys aren't playing well, but neither is the team in front. The difference being Quick has been on the wrong end of the high scoring games.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Have the Kings lost a game with Campbell in net yet?

I guess we'll ignore that Quick gets 2.67 goals per game from this team while Campbell gets 5.5 as well.

Wins as a goalie stat is trash.

Both guys suck ass right now, full stop. Doesn't matter who your favorite is. One getting Ws while the other isn't is only a function of the offense covering up mistakes, not one guy stealing games.

Quick lowered his GAA tonight.

I laughed, then cried.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Neither goalie is playing well.

Don't discount the type of style they are playing though. If the Kings play this style all year, they could have 3 guys hit 80 points and Doughty would be a good bet to win the Norris. I remember not so long ago when Quick was lights-out and many bemoaned that Kopitar wasn't producing to his pay level. That Brown had fallen off a cliff. That Doughty might never hit 60 points again. They had down years for sure, but this year all three of those guys could have career campaigns. But look what's happening on the back end.

I don't buy into the Quick is a system goalie narrative, but now that the last vestiges of the Sutter/Stevens style of play have been erased, he's seeing far different types of shots than he previously did. He knew exactly what was coming for the last 7 or so years, the team had very methodical strategies which forced the other teams into certain types of shots. It's not so much that shots allowed were easier to handle, it's that they were predictable. Even when the wheels were flying off that structure kept them in the top in GAA. And it didn't matter who came in, really. Outside of Zatkoff, pretty much every goalie experienced success once they adjusted to what the defense was allowing. Now, shit is literally all over the place. Campbell was in the same system for three years, so he's likely seeing the same thing. The difference with Quick now is he's not coming up with the game changers. Doing that is a lot easier when you only have to do it once in a while, when it's constant it's far more difficult. I say Quick, but the same goes for Campbell too. The opposition heat maps this year have looked like there is a pool of blood in front of the Kings goal. Even 2 years ago everything was to the outside. Both goalies are letting in pucks from sharp angles, that suggests they are worried about the middle and are aren't confident the shots are coming from the outside.

This team is going to find a happy medium and I expect the goalies to improve while the offense backs off a little. Either way the team probably won't win a lot of games unless they improve their reads. If they can funnel opposition shots from areas they want and still maintain that offensive push, they'll be in business. I don't see it happening with this blue line as constructed, but weirder things have happened I suppose.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I’m the biggest Quick homer out here, but he is definitely not the same player anymore. Just too many miles.

Not saying Campbell is some kind of savior, but Quick just looks done out there.
I think there is a denial going on right now about Quick. This isn't Sutter/Stevens hockey anymore. The d-group is young and inexperienced. The days of shot blocking and strongly minimizing high danger chances are in the past. While the injuries have definitely taken its toll on Quick, I don't think he has adjusted well enough to the more up-tempo more open style game that TMac is coaching. Almost seems like Quick is in a Crouching Tiger position for every shot! Shooters are going more high on Quick. I just feel he's still trying to do too much. He needs to play a bit more upright and be more patient with shooters. By today's standards Quick is considered one of the smaller goalies in the NHL at 6ft tall. That means he has to be quick and play the angles more because he doesn't have big size to cover net like Campbell does.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Quick is a shell of the player he used to be. Campbell has only been marginally better so far. The defense is the worst in the NHL, buckle up folks

Reactions: Fifth Marauder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad