GDT: 2019-20 GM#1 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm 10/5/19

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I hope people understand now though why it's important to have vets.

Can you imagine if our D last night also didn't have Martinez, Doughty, Hutton?

You'd have a bunch of kids getting absolutely shellshocked in their own end without positive support. Like, trading Martinez to make room for Clague or Anderson at this point would be cutting them off at the knees. Might even have to see how Bjornfot does from here on out, even though he had undoubtedly his toughest assignment right off the bat.

I'm not going to make too many assumptions after a coaching and systems changed, one game, 8 days off, on the road vs. a team's home opener and they've already played a game, though. McLellan pointed out this is going to be a process. Saw some really positive things last night, and some things that are totally systematically different that guys are clearly thinking about (guys wide open in front, Fox pointing out that now the RW is asked to be down low w/defensive responsibility, etc.).
I can see this. What I can't see is why it was important to hang onto Carter when you already have Kopitar and Brown who are going nowhere, along with Lewis, Clifford, etc.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Kings did pretty well at even strength last night, they had a 52.63 CF% and outscored the Oil by 1. The real downfall for them was the special teams which I imagine should improve as the season progresses, due to the fact that the new systems are just being put in place.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
flip Quick for any goalie not named Smith Jones, Korpisalo, Talbot, and players of similar caliber and that game was a win

also given how sensitive this team is, that first game of the season on the road would have been a HUGE confidence booster for the team

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Canuck fan coming in peace.

Curious on people’s opinion on Hutton so far?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The way the team has looked in the preseason and yes after just one game... I see our best players stepping up, young players providing depth and a porous defense that’s likely to win some and lose some... I’m scared that we’ll win enough games to take us out of not only the top 5 but the top 10...
I really hope Blake says **** it and ships out Toffoli, Martinez, Lewis, Campbell and Kovalchuk.. I don’t care if we retain 50% since almost all those players have expiring contracts minus Kovy... give me extra 2nds, 3rds and 4ths headed into a very deep draft..
1- 1st, 3- 2nds, 3- 3rds and I’d be happy

You don't need to be scared

Reactions: KINGS17

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If we are a better team and a better franchise at the end of this season than we were at the start, this season will be a huge success. The new system is certainly more fun to watch. If we can clean up the defense - and with three rookies in the lineup, it’s not surprising that it looked a little shaky - we might be in good shape next year.

Reactions: Bandit

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
For the next game, I’d like to see:

Bjornfot-Doughty
Martinez-Hutton
MacDermid-Walker

On the back end. This Matt Roy experiment needs to end soon.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Flip Roy for Forbort and that game is a win.

true as well, but if we work with what we have... you gotta admit when you watched the game, Quick felt very disinterested or just a lack of energy in general

i don't like his positioning on the first goal (yes the defense sucked there, doesn't excuse his positioning and his none reaction during/after the puck gets redirected). I'm fully aware it's McDavid with the puck.

the second goal isn't that bad, but better goalies would have covered it; i'm not faulting Quick; it happens

the way he slides from one end to another on the 3rd goal feels like he's already given up, sure it might be a near impossible save to make, but sliding nonchalantly like that... he's worried for an early groin pull? then don't play!

the fourth goal, was just a poor team effort

the fifth goal was a weak glove, but again, those i don't mind - it happens!

the sixth goal really bothers me, you can feel he gave up or barely tried - he looks defeated before the puck even crosses the line

we can all agree, none of those goals were unstoppable and i think just to argue on the conservative side, at least one of those can be had back if Quick was more confident/better prepared? i dunno what's wrong with this guy, but he's not the intense Quick we use to know

anyways it blowsssssssssssss!! Kings deserved a better fate despite the defensive/goaltending mistakes

Reactions: Faterson

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Oh good, we're back to 'blame the goalie for the own goals and rebound tap ins from guys in front who are completely untouched.'

Really missed those hot takes when JQ was the best preseason goalie.

Reactions: tny760

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Good
McDavid
McDavid
McDavid
McDavid
McDavid
McDavid

The best way to stop McDavid... I mean, the best way to try and stop him is to hip check him in open ice like Doughty use to do..
This is why we need a big, physical Dman that can skate ala Pesce, Parayko or Willie Mitchell..

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Canuck fan coming in peace.

Curious on people’s opinion on Hutton so far?

Hutton has been decent. Good mobility, poise and been a bit physical...made a nice stretch pass to Brown, who then got it to Kopitar and he scored. But the James Neal goal, Hutton was near the goal and
then wandered out 15 feet to no man's land - have no idea why - and Neal got a couple whacks and a goal. Hutton is not the only one I've seen do this and perplexed by this...remember when defenseman
covered the goal?

this goal:

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
true as well, but if we work with what we have... you gotta admit when you watched the game, Quick felt very disinterested or just a lack of energy in general

i don't like his positioning on the first goal (yes the defense sucked there, doesn't excuse his positioning and his none reaction during/after the puck gets redirected). I'm fully aware it's McDavid with the puck.

the second goal isn't that bad, but better goalies would have covered it; i'm not faulting Quick; it happens

the way he slides from one end to another on the 3rd goal feels like he's already given up, sure it might be a near impossible save to make, but sliding nonchalantly like that... he's worried for an early groin pull? then don't play!

the fourth goal, was just a poor team effort

the fifth goal was a weak glove, but again, those i don't mind - it happens!

the sixth goal really bothers me, you can feel he gave up or barely tried - he looks defeated before the puck even crosses the line

we can all agree, none of those goals were unstoppable and i think just to argue on the conservative side, at least one of those can be had back if Quick was more confident/better prepared? i dunno what's wrong with this guy, but he's not the intense Quick we use to know

anyways it blowsssssssssssss!! Kings deserved a better fate despite the defensive/goaltending mistakes
I know it was McDavid but...
I know he was all alone in front but...
I know our defense was nowhere to be found but...
I know our own guys are putting the puck in our net but...

Yeah, we know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad