GDT: 2019-20 GM#1 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm 10/5/19

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
GA can be fixed via systems and trades, GF require talent which needs to come from the draft if you want a contender. We need to see which kids are able to drive offense at this level.

At this point the franchise is either going to return to the playoffs and possible contender status is 2-3 years. Giving our cup core another shot at relevance.

Or the kids suck and we’re looking at a series of black hole type seasons, similar to the post Gretzky and GMDT eras.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
I know it was McDavid but...
I know he was all alone in front but...
I know our defense was nowhere to be found but...
I know our own guys are putting the puck in our net but...

Yeah, we know.

so you're daft? all good

Quick was terrible in our first game.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
so you're daft? all good

Quick was terrible in our first game.

Quick let in some softies for sure...
I'm giving him a pass considering how our bottom 4 Dman just sucked ass along with Kempe when it came to actually defending.. This is where a physical Dman taht can clear the crease is much needed on our team! Martinez, Roy and Walker were CACA! Can't believe im saying this but we need Forbort back to solidify the bottom pairings
Bjornfot-Doughty
Hutton-Martinez
Forbort- Pylon aka Roy/Walker/Clague

Looks better than what we currently have

Reactions: KingPuckChoo

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Hutton has been decent. Good mobility, poise and been a bit physical...made a nice stretch pass to Brown, who then got it to Kopitar and he scored. But the James Neal goal, Hutton was near the goal and
then wandered out 15 feet to no man's land - have no idea why - and Neal got a couple whacks and a goal. Hutton is not the only one I've seen do this and perplexed by this...remember when defenseman
covered the goal?

this goal:

that one's not on hutton, that's the diamond formation, it's hutton's job to push out and block the cross-ice pass and walker holds the crease. walker stepped out to sticklift draisaitl to prevent the high slot tip because he was playing pretty deep and neal ends up open because of the rebound. it's a PK, it happens. if anything, i think hutton could've even taken another step out further to allow walker to focus neal but let's not discredit the fact that it was a nice play. neal made the correct move and was rewarded for it

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Quick didn't steal the game, but he didn't lose the game, either.

I would say there were a couple very stoppable goals which he played poorly. My overall view on Quick's performance:
Goal 1: Not his fault at all. He was playing the shot against arguably the best player in the world, which is what the goalies are supposed to do. All the Kings had to do was have control of the puck for a moment to get the whistle.
Goal 2: Rebound went down to his feet after stopping a top corner attempt from McDavid. While ideally goalies control the rebounds better, he stopped the first shot. Neal was alone, and nobody could fall down that fast unless it was by accident.
Goal 3: Kopitar threw a muffin. Doughty looked foolish. Bjornfot had a puck size slot between his skate and knee as he dropped down to cover the passing lane, and Draisaitl fed Kassian perfectly
Goal 4: Inexcusably bad defense from Walker in leaving Nygard alone in front. You can argue Quick should have tried to block the pass from coming out in the first place, but not really his fault, in my opinion.
Goal 5: Roy was undressed. Quick was slow laterally, which is where Nurse beat him. This is the one goal I definitely feel he could have stopped, but I still don't think it was defended well.
Goal 6: Quick was reacting to a wrap-around/stuff attempt by Neal, but it was deflected by Martinez, who like most of the other defensemen, were really bad at covering passing lanes.

While prime Quick likely would have stopped many of those, I'm not going to hold it against a player for failing to be elite for a night. My view is:
- A goalie's job is to force a player to make the perfect shot when the defense is adequate
- Defense's job is to force the opposition to make the perfect play to support an adequate goalie

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
That game was sloppier than Amy Schumer at Prom. Hard to get a tell either way but will say our D looked as bad as many thought they would.

Reactions: Lt Dan

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Quick let in some softies for sure...
I'm giving him a pass considering how our bottom 4 Dman just sucked ass along with Kempe when it came to actually defending.. This is where a physical Dman taht can clear the crease is much needed on our team! Martinez, Roy and Walker were CACA! Can't believe im saying this but we need Forbort back to solidify the bottom pairings
Bjornfot-Doughty
Hutton-Martinez
Forbort- Pylon aka Roy/Walker/Clague

Looks better than what we currently have

yes, and that's all i said

there are many issues with our team, but just replacing Matt Roy wouldn't be as impactful to the game's result as removing Quick's piss poor performance from the equation

how Bandit didn't see or read Quick's body language that night is beyond me, he felt completely out of it... he was very slow and looked defeated to me.

whereas our team looked interested and our veterans were in it to win it

anywhoo... no biggy, moving on to the next game

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
yes, and that's all i said

there are many issues with our team, but just replacing Matt Roy wouldn't be as impactful to the game's result as removing Quick's piss poor performance from the equation

how Bandit didn't see or read Quick's body language that night is beyond me, he felt completely out of it... he was very slow and looked defeated to me.

whereas our team looked interested and our veterans were in it to win it

anywhoo... no biggy, moving on to the next game

Bad team defense did us in, but I think the offense is for real.. I expect plenty of shootouts this season

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i'm more than happy to point out quick's mistakes at this point but i find nothing in that game that warrants it, he was let down by the defense and the goals were unsaveable

of course no one mentions the oilers breakaway that he stoned in the 1st(?) period

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
i'm more than happy to point out quick's mistakes at this point but i find nothing in that game that warrants it, he was let down by the defense and the goals were unsaveable

of course no one mentions the oilers breakaway that he stoned in the 1st(?) period
It was just Draisaitl. Dude only scored 50 goals last year, so NBD. Quick must have had his eyes closed.

Reactions: YP44

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Quick didn't steal the game, but he didn't lose the game, either.

I would say there were a couple very stoppable goals which he played poorly. My overall view on Quick's performance:
Goal 1: Not his fault at all. He was playing the shot against arguably the best player in the world, which is what the goalies are supposed to do. All the Kings had to do was have control of the puck for a moment to get the whistle.
Goal 2: Rebound went down to his feet after stopping a top corner attempt from McDavid. While ideally goalies control the rebounds better, he stopped the first shot. Neal was alone, and nobody could fall down that fast unless it was by accident.
Goal 3: Kopitar threw a muffin. Doughty looked foolish. Bjornfot had a puck size slot between his skate and knee as he dropped down to cover the passing lane, and Draisaitl fed Kassian perfectly
Goal 4: Inexcusably bad defense from Walker in leaving Nygard alone in front. You can argue Quick should have tried to block the pass from coming out in the first place, but not really his fault, in my opinion.
Goal 5: Roy was undressed. Quick was slow laterally, which is where Nurse beat him. This is the one goal I definitely feel he could have stopped, but I still don't think it was defended well.
Goal 6: Quick was reacting to a wrap-around/stuff attempt by Neal, but it was deflected by Martinez, who like most of the other defensemen, were really bad at covering passing lanes.

While prime Quick likely would have stopped many of those, I'm not going to hold it against a player for failing to be elite for a night. My view is:
- A goalie's job is to force a player to make the perfect shot when the defense is adequate
- Defense's job is to force the opposition to make the perfect play to support an adequate goalie

Goal 1: An elite goalie would have gone post to post to make sure he could stone...his own defenseman and no opposing players.
Goal 2: An elite goalie making a save on the best player in the world through bodies would have had the presence of mind to deflect the puck out of play, or at least reach across his body to glove the puck and freeze it, so the guy standing all alone in front wouldn't have the several seconds he had to decide what to do.
Goal 3: An elite goalie would have ignored the 100+ point player and been ready for the tap-in from the poorly played oddman break.
Goal 4: An elite goalie would have stuffed the guy literally left all alone for the tap inr while the pass came from behind the net.
Goal 5: Yeah, suck it
Goal 6: An elite goalie defending the PP would have realized that passing option from the best player in the world and would have realized Martinez would tip the first attempt so he could make the save on the rebound even though the player was untouched.

Sorry, just role playing the mentality it must have taken to blame the game on Quick. I guess if we get rid of Quick, all our problems are solved.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
indeed bro
Geez, it’s one game. Yes, he wasn’t good, but he’s young and will make mistakes. I’m sure he’s not happy with his performance in game 1, but you can’t just banish him to the cornfield. Don’t even bring up Dion. Last year, he was horrible. His career is over, Roy’s is just starting. If he keeps making mistakes, he’ll get sent to Ontario.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I think if you're gonna lose games I'd rather lose with MacD in the lineup than without. Yes he has slow feet but you know he's going to give 100% and at the very least mug somebody which in any era of hockey is useful. I've yet to see Roy do anything to suggest he's going to have a long NHL career. This is the type of player the Kings need to avoid as they re-build. Youthful players who are the bowl of vanilla ice cream. MacD is the only chocolate sundae they have available on defense right now.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The only things I would take away from this game are the following:

- The defense corp is bad. Biggest weakness on paper and the paper was right. Forbort isn't going to make it much better. When some of us on here have been saying they are tanking this season: this is what we meant. You can't go in to a training camp with this group of defensemen and even pretend you are trying to contend. They had to add Hutton so they didn't get scored on five times every game. Taking a ton of penalties like they did is going to be a problem as I don't see a good PK coming out of this squad.

- Kovalchuk is washed. He's the same guy from last year. Doesn't fit in. Tries to play like he did when he was elite but he's lost a good amount off of his fastball so it goes nowhere. Watching him is painful.

That's kind of it. The game was so sloppy that I can't make a real assessment of Quick and I also can't buy in to the idea that they will be scoring a lot more this year. Roy left Quick out to dry twice and Smith gifted two goals. I do think everyone kind of looked the same as last year--aside from Amadio--but my first two points are the only ones I would say with certainty after one game.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I just don't understand why I took heat for laying into Matt Roy over the summer.

He is what he is, a late round pick with a nice college career that can probably parlay that into a career in Europe or something but he shouldn't be a regular on an NHL roster much less the 2nd pairing facing McDavid. Him and Walker are essentially the same dude and will each take nights being the punching bag. Maybe Roy is a little spicier/physical and has a better shot and Walker is the better puck carrier/offensive IQ but regardless they're just different flavors of Diet Jamie McBain.

Reactions: lumbergh

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Isnt it Cal first tho? I want Mac to blast that little ***** whose name shall not be said!

yes, CGY can easily be a wide open game as well given their goaltending, that's why i pointed to NSH VGK because they are solid trap-like teams with elite goaltending and defense

those are good tests to have early in the season but yeah overall it's a big week for LA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad