Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Where do you plan on playing him?

Hedman-Cernak
McDonagh-Sergachev
Coburn-Shattenkirk

7-D with Shattenkirk primarily on the PP, he has a year left on his contract after this season which means we don't have to worry about finding a roster D-man when Shattenkirk walks this summer. If Foote makes the jump, Coburn is tradeable since he only has 1 year left without an NTC.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
7-D with Shattenkirk primarily on the PP, he has a year left on his contract after this season which means we don't have to worry about finding a roster D-man when Shattenkirk walks this summer. If Foote makes the jump, Coburn is tradeable since he only has 1 year left without an NTC.

So you're going to pay Brodin or pay/stall Sergachev and his progression on the third pair? There simply is no room, we don't need a dman. Not to mention Borodin is a LD, so he would be third pair. Cant afford it and don't need to do it

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
So you're going to pay Brodin or pay/stall Sergachev and his progression on the third pair? There simply is no room, we don't need a dman. Not to mention Borodin is a LD, so he would be third pair. Cant afford it and don't need to do it

Brodin plays right and left, how is that stalling Sergachev? You do know it doesn't matter what pairing they're on as long as they're getting their minutes right? If you have 3 strong defensive pairings you can balance the work load instead of having one pair play 23mins and one play 12.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
Brodin plays right and left, how is that stalling Sergachev? You do know it doesn't matter what pairing they're on as long as they're getting their minutes right? If you have 3 strong defensive pairings you can balance the work load instead of having one pair play 23mins and one play 12.
I disagree because Hedman and McDonagh should be getting the more minutes because they are #1 dmen. Besides that, why do we need another 4 mill d man with a year left after this, when we have a great d core already with 2 studs on the left side and 2 young kids who are looking great on the right? Makes no sense in that aspect and what it would cost to get him and his cap hit considering we already have to move pieces to re sign kids.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Probably yes, mostly because Sergachev and cernak will take up the top 4 right side and we need the cap space, shatty will want a pay day.

Well if he wants a payday north of $3M then sure, let him walk. But if not, with his play so far, is it automatic that he's kicked to the curb? If I had a chip on my shoulder with something to prove and the team that gave me a shot wants to renew my contract at a team-friendly rate, I'd give it some serious consideration.

I mean they're giving Rutta $450K less right now to wear a suit while serving popcorn. I'm sure somewhere in that $1.3M of his I'm inclined to see that put towards a Shattenkirk offer.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Well if he wants a payday north of $3M then sure, let him walk. But if not, with his play so far, is it automatic that he's kicked to the curb? If I had a chip on my shoulder with something to prove and the team that gave me a shot wants to renew my contract at a team-friendly rate, I'd give it some serious consideration.

I mean they're giving Rutta $450K less right now to wear a suit while serving popcorn. I'm sure somewhere in that $1.3M of his I'm inclined to see that put towards a Shattenkirk offer.

With his play so far he's on pace to have a career high by good margin if he stays healthy. We're not kicking anyone to the curb, he's simply going to outprice himself which was his plan from the start.

He's 31 next year, he's going to look for another last big 4-5 year deal. We don't want him for that long and there's no way he's coming in at less than 5m with the rate he's going. If I were him, I'd start looking at Edmonton where you have a relatively good chance to keep up your production AND they'll pay you premium due to need.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He took a 1 year contract here to cash in next year. Which is fine - he definitely got "better" offers elsewhere but is taking a bet that he'll get a better deal next summer (for probably a couple of reasons - not least of which he'll be a UFA on July 1 instead of the middle of the summer).

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Idea: never explain the defensive structure to Shattenkirk. Sign him to a long-term deal when he hits like -75 on the season, then correct the issue.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Where do you plan on playing him?

Hedman-Cernak
McDonagh-Sergachev
Coburn-Shattenkirk
On the ice. Coburn/Rutta/Witko deals will expire sooner than later, for now we leverage them for depth. No problems at all pushing those three down the depth chart.
What's your opinion on Barre-Boulet as a center piece for Brodin? I think this team took a hit when we lost Stralman and Girardi's defensive abilities, Brodin would help stabilize that especially since he play both left and right side.

I'm not sure where ABB fits going forward, we have a ton of small-skilled guys in the lineup already.
Hard to say. I like him and if someone were interested in having him as the core piece for Brodin, i'd be onboard.
Don't see Coburn getting traded in much of any situation unless someone wants to blow us away with a deal, otherwise hes reliable and experienced.

I'm actually with you here - while i'm sure he wants to cash in, he is 30 pushing 31 and is also running out a bit of a reputation due to the NYR being messy. I don't know that he'll find much in the way of offers over 3-4 years, tops, and it won't be huge money (over 6m/season).

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
What is the thought on the new line combos from practise. They are sure tons of moving parts this year......

Stamkos Johnson Joseph

Palat Point Gourde

Killorn Cirelli Kuch

Maroon Paquette Witkowski

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
What is the thought on the new line combos from practise. They are sure tons of moving parts this year......

Stamkos Johnson Joseph

Palat Point Gourde

Killorn Cirelli Kuch

I am ok with this. I really like the Fourth Line. Would like Palat on with Celery and Kuch.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013

Stamkos Johnson Joseph

Palat Point Gourde

Killorn Cirelli Kuch

It's about as spread out as it can be. It'll be interesting

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Those are solid lines and Kuch deserves to be demoted. Then again I’m not exactly a fan of shuffling the lines every two to three games. Let’s keep them like that for while.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Is it really automatic that Shattenkirk is gone July 1, 2020?

If he keeps putting up points, 100% automatic. He's gonna get one last big contract, it seems. I see no way that contract can come from us. If anything, we'd need him to take a paycut.

Discipline

Oct 14, 2019
North Carolina
I think breaking up the Stamkos-Kuch-Point line was the right move. They haven't looked hot and Kuch needs to especially work on his game. Only issue is Kucherov needs to focus on being a lock down defender since Tony C is getting out there and shutting them DOWN.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I was interested in seeing something where we broke up the big 3 on separate lines. I dont know about Kucherov on line 3 but maybe it will wake him up a little bit.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Those lines look awful to me, Johnson at center? AND with Stamkos? he already tried this earlier before Point got back, it lasted half a game. Johnson and Stamkos have never worked together and if one should be playing center it should be Stamkos who's better at it, Johnson should be winger full time unless we're short. Stamkos-Point-Kucherov should be split up but not all 3 on different lines, remove Stamkos from Kucherov and that solves the Kucherov problem. He has worked best with just Point on his line....does anyone remember the string of games Kucherov dominated after being split from Stamkos at ES?

Go back to what worked:

Johnson-Point-Kucherov
Palat-Stamkos-Gourde
Killorn-Cirelli-Joseph

Lines 1 & 3 ere the most consistent lines last season, since Palat isn't ass this year him and Stamkos should be able to do 5v5 damage.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Did a team official ever say why exactly Stamkos is playing on wing this season? I mean, they tried it for a short while without a lot of success. Later there were reports that Stamkos didn't like it (it was during Boucher's tenure I think, no?). Around here it was proposed several times afterwards too, given his struggles at the time.

Stamkos improved a lot at faceoffs and his game is a lot more complete these days and yet, after the off-season boom, winger. But no word from the team or have I missed it?

Also, I find it hard to believe that, say, Johnson is better at center (after playing more than an entire season at wing) than Stamkos (who played center for most of his career minus a handful of games).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad