2019-20 General Lightning Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Considering 6 of our first 7 games have been on the road, we're really not doing such a bad job of banking points. Maybe you look at tonight and say yeah the 3rd wasn't great, but we still left with 2 points, and move on. That said, you can't do that when we finally get back home, especially when that 1st game back will be against the Avs.

Part of our 62 wins last season was 30 of them came on the road. That was more than any one else did at home.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I know some have expressed their concern for depth scoring in the playoffs. So I started thinking. What about about someone like Eric Staal? Minny is clearly in trouble and will most likely start selling sooner rather than later. I think Staal would be a nice veteran depth piece who also brings some offense, plus he's a big body. Only has 1 year left on his contract after this season at 3.25. The more I think about it the more I like it.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Wouldn't be a bad acquisition, like the sound of it.

I know some have expressed their concern for depth scoring in the playoffs. So I started thinking. What about about someone like Eric Staal? Minny is clearly in trouble and will most likely start selling sooner rather than later. I think Staal would be a nice veteran depth piece who also brings some offense, plus he's a big body. Only has 1 year left on his contract after this season at 3.25. The more I think about it the more I like it.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
I'd love Staal as a depth center. Abysmal start to the season (along with everyone else on Minnesota) and he's getting old, but I think he could still make his mark on the playoffs. I'm just not sure how effective he will be next season at 36, and we have quite the cap challenge looming over us.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I'd love Staal as a depth center. Abysmal start to the season (along with everyone else on Minnesota) and he's getting old, but I think he could still make his mark on the playoffs. I'm just not sure how effective he will be next season at 36, and we have quite the cap challenge looming over us.
Oh I know there would need to be some work done, but If it gives us a better chance of winning then I say the teams does what it needs to do to win now. Also, its not the WORST scenario. Sure, its gonna take some work but I think he would be worth it. Just feels like a solid move to me. But what do I know :confused:

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Just gonna add one more thing about Staal.

I think its a perfect fit and scenario. Staal is at the tail end of his career. I think he would love to have one last run at another stanley cup. He gets that with Tampa.
I also think his contract is in the realm of possibility. He only has next year left at 3.25. I don't think there is another player that is gonna give us what Staal can for the price it would take to get him.
Staal gives us depth scoring AND another big body, he's 6'4 206. If anyone can find another player like that who only makes 3.25 then let me know. I mean i'm sure you can find a younger guy that can give us the same thing but since he's younger he's either gonna want a larger contract OR the team that trades him is gonna want more then what it would take to get Staal since there is the potential for improvement.

Sorry about rant, I was just thinking about players who we could add that filled needs for us (Staal kills 2 birds with one stonce, depth scoring and size). I usually think of Krieder but he's too expensive. I feel like Staal gets overlooked since he plays for Minny. Hell the dude had over 40 goals 2 seasons ago and nobody notice.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Considering 6 of our first 7 games have been on the road, we're really not doing such a bad job of banking points. Maybe you look at tonight and say yeah the 3rd wasn't great, but we still left with 2 points, and move on. That said, you can't do that when we finally get back home, especially when that 1st game back will be against the Avs.

Part of our 62 wins last season was 30 of them came on the road. That was more than any one else did at home.

Yeah, if it weren't for the 62 wins, we'd be looking at this road trip as a successful one.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Maybe bring him in at the TDL? A pump and dump situation? If he works out, we can probably get a pick for him at the draft, assuming there's no NTC.

I'm not really concerned about center depth though. I think it's our strongest position. Only real interest in Staal is because he should still out-produce his contract if you get him away from that tire fire in Minny. I'm just not sure what we'd do with him.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Maybe bring him in at the TDL? A pump and dump situation? If he works out, we can probably get a pick for him at the draft, assuming there's no NTC.

I'm not really concerned about center depth though. I think it's our strongest position. Only real interest in Staal is because he should still out-produce his contract if you get him away from that tire fire in Minny. I'm just not sure what we'd do with him.
I'm not evening thinking about the regular season with Staal. I'm thinking about round 3 game 6. Seeing our star players locked down and needing a big goal. Thats what i'm thinking about.

Maybe stick him in at 3rd line Center. Move Cirelli to the wing? I'm just concerned about scoring depth and adding size. Hell, we might be able to get Minny to retain some salary if the deal is right. Imagine if they agree to retain 50%, then his cost is only 1.6 mil.

He brings leadership as well. Maybe i'm too high on him but I think he's the perfect fit or what Tampa needs.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm not evening thinking about the regular season with Staal. I'm thinking about round 3 game 6. Seeing our star players locked down and needing a big goal. Thats what i'm thinking about.

Maybe stick him in at 3rd line Center. Move Cirelli to the wing? I'm just concerned about scoring depth and adding size. Hell, we might be able to get Minny to retain some salary if the deal is right. Imagine if they agree to retain 50%, then his cost is only 1.6 mil.

He brings leadership as well. Maybe i'm too high on him but I think he's the perfect fit or what Tampa needs.

I think he'd be a 3C here, yeah. His point totals wouldn't be great because he would get little to no PP time, but I think he'd still outproduce 3.25, including in the playoffs. For a big guy though, he really doesn't play big at all. He's big the way Teddy Purcell was big.

I mean, for the right price, whatever. Especially if we could either flip him at the draft or, like you said, get him at half price, at which point he's just insurance on Cirelli and/or Johnson, neither of whom are a lock to be on the team next year.

I don't know. I'm luke warm on it.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I think he'd be a 3C here, yeah. His point totals wouldn't be great because he would get little to no PP time, but I think he'd still outproduce 3.25, including in the playoffs. For a big guy though, he really doesn't play big at all. He's big the way Teddy Purcell was big.

I mean, for the right price, whatever. Especially if we could either flip him at the draft or, like you said, get him at half price, at which point he's just insurance on Cirelli and/or Johnson, neither of whom are a lock to be on the team next year.

I don't know. I'm luke warm on it.
Its just an idea I'm floating around. Someone was talking about depth scoring in the playoffs the other night. Got me thinking.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
With our track record the only Staal we'll ever get is Marc from New York.
I mean he WAS a Ranger

iu

Reactions: LoSTRaMaiR

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Its just an idea I'm floating around. Someone was talking about depth scoring in the playoffs the other night. Got me thinking.

Yeah, the thing with depth is... We're probably the deepest team in the league as-is. Giving Staal to Cooper would sort of be like buying another knife for a man with no hands.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Unless it's for 2nd + Yan or Katchouk + 3rd type of deal I wouldn't do it. They are going to want a 1st for him and I don't think we have that big a need where we should be trading a 1st for a rental.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'd like to see Domingue sent to the NJD as part of a bigger deal for Hall. We'd have to add a metric shit-ton more in assets but it's not like we wouldn't be addressing a need of theirs. Throw in a 1st, Paquette, a prospect and maybe another pick and why the hell not. That's a lot for a pure rental. If the NJD wanted more then f*** 'em. Go after Kreider -who won't cost nearly as much

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'd like to see Domingue sent to the NJD as part of a bigger deal for Hall. We'd have to add a metric ****-ton more in assets but it's not like we wouldn't be addressing a need of theirs. Throw in a 1st, Paquette, a prospect and maybe another pick and why the hell not. That's a lot for a pure rental. If the NJD wanted more then **** 'em. Go after Kreider -who won't cost nearly as much

Still doesn't get Hall, not that we need him.

Why waste a ton of assets on a guy who can't stay healthy, has huge chemistry issues and has 5 playoff games to his name?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd rather just go right after Kreider. The bidding war on Hall will almost certainly get out of hand. Hopefully that doesn't drive Kreider's price up too. But I've just always liked the reckless side of Kreider's game, and how it could fit with us on the left side, while we have shooters from the right side and center.

Not that Hall isn't a better player. It's just... a 20-something former Hart Trophy winner at the TDL... the price on that is gonna be too big, IMO, particularly for a guy who's had such limited time on winning teams, let alone contenders.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I'd rather just go right after Kreider. The bidding war on Hall will almost certainly get out of hand. Hopefully that doesn't drive Kreider's price up too. But I've just always liked the reckless side of Kreider's game, and how it could fit with us on the left side, while we have shooters from the right side and center.

Not that Hall isn't a better player. It's just... a 20-something former Hart Trophy winner at the TDL... the price on that is gonna be too big, IMO, particularly for a guy who's had such limited time on winning teams, let alone contenders.
I agree, also would it be possible to trade 1 of the firsts we have if the condition was "Lower of the two first round picks in either 2020 or 2021"?

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I'd like to see Domingue sent to the NJD as part of a bigger deal for Hall. We'd have to add a metric ****-ton more in assets but it's not like we wouldn't be addressing a need of theirs. Throw in a 1st, Paquette, a prospect and maybe another pick and why the hell not. That's a lot for a pure rental. If the NJD wanted more then **** 'em. Go after Kreider -who won't cost nearly as much
Do you think NJ is gonna trade Taylor Hall for a 1st and some crap?

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

We absolutely cannot afford to add additional cap hit for next year.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Do you think NJ is gonna trade Taylor Hall for a 1st and some crap?

The pressure is squarely on the NJD to not lose him for nothing. Every team in the league knows this so they're not gonna offer beaucoup assets to begin with. If they do then they're crazy. It won't be long before Shero fields the calls. We need to shed salary and we've got like 900 4th line centers. Paquette can go. The Devils goaltending situation is an embarrassment. Domingue can go. Yeah... It's crap but it's probably on par with other offers unless some team goes bananas right off the bat with their offer. But if it's not enough again.... f*** em. We got #1D from the NYR for basically Namestnikov, picks and prospects. He's not God. He's Taylor Hall

Hall is like a 9 year old Corvette that's been through some shit and anyone who wants it is paying for the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad