2019-20 General Lightning Discussion - Part 3: Uncharted

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Folks, there is a HUGE difference between testing positive and requiring hospitalization. I think I've already had it and my doctor said "so what" and told me if it was a big deal to me, go get tested. The truth is that there will be no vaccine until early next year and the most vulnerable age groups are those above 60 years old AND/OR those with other health issues. If Vasy or Serge have it, they may get the sniffles at worst (we hope) because Russian players kick virus ass, not the other way around.

If we shut down our society for a disease with a less than 5% hospitalization rate and way less than 0.5% mortality rate for those under 50 years old, we might as well just watch reruns of the Walking Dead and cry ourselves to sleep.

So what you're saying is, "In Soviet Russia, virus gets YOU."

Reactions: DaBolts

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
The shitty thing was we kind of had an edge with training during this “lockdown”

now we have a huge setback. No matter what Covid will take a toll on these players cardio

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Question...most young people have parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles...no?

Florida's ICU capacity is at 80% right now. Our health system really can't stand to be overrun.

Do you wear a mask in public?

Total lie. We are not at 80% ICU capacity. The truth is the media took a story from the Palm Beach Post where they were at 80% ICU capacity. With just 27% used for COVID and the rest of the ICU filled with cardiac and cancer patients. When cancer surgeries and extreme treatments ramp back up, guess what? ICU's fill up for 2-3 days at a time. Well, they just ramped back up. Quit falling for the media's bunk and stick with facts.

Edit to add:

Here's a story from the hardest hit area, WPLG in Miami to back up my statement:

Florida hospitals have the capacity to handle coronavirus uptick, leaders say

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Why? What's with shutting everything down because a few people tested positive. The players who tested positive probably had no idea they had it, they only found out because they're deciding to test everyone. Just like the rest of the country with the spikes it's because more people are being tested, doesn't mean more people are actually getting sick. The hospitalizations and the critical cases are below late March and early April numbers.

I hope that’s the case tons of them will test positive when they all get on the ice for a full team training camp!

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I agree with this column.

Halfway through the sports year, it’s Pandemic 1, Tampa Bay 0

The leagues knew positive tests were inevitable, and they didn’t want to paint themselves into a germ-filled corner by specifying how many cases were too many. So they talk about tests, and contact tracing and quarantining, but they never acknowledge how close they’re willing to get to the cliff.

In the end, it will probably be society’s call.

There are legitimate arguments to be made about reopening communities to prevent an economic meltdown, but there is a wide gap between isolation and tailgate parties. Masks help. Eliminating crowds helps. Common sense helps.

If a large number of people continue behaving as if masks are part of a communist plot, and drinking elbow to elbow in a bar is a sign of virility and patriotism, then the death toll will climb. And if that happens, the pressure to shut down sports will ultimately drown out the fervor to see a bunch of hockey players lifting the Stanley Cup.

It's like kids with the marshmellow test. Can we handle the concept of delayed gratification?

Reactions: Sky04

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Probably not. The US has a mythology of rugged individualism and the pioneer spirit.
I guess but even if you look back at moments in the past we've been able to come together to overcome challenges like this before. This is beyond individualism, but sheer entitlement and immaturity. Like along with the individualism, Americans used to pride themselves on taking on the personal responsibility that comes with it. Now? We don't want to be responsible for anything! Blame someone or something else, it's NEVER your fault.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I guess but even if you look back at moments in the past we've been able to come together to overcome challenges like this before. This is beyond individualism, but sheer entitlement and immaturity. Like along with the individualism, Americans used to pride themselves on taking on the personal responsibility that comes with it. Now? We don't want to be responsible for anything! Blame someone or something else, it's NEVER your fault.
It reflects our leadership perfectly in America

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

*slow clap*

Whether or not that was your intention you threw enough shade to eclipse the sun

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Probably not. The US has a mythology of rugged individualism and the pioneer spirit.

Sadly that idea is more along the lines of "Damn it boys we need to hit the same club we always go to! I can't stand being inside grr!!" the only pioneering we do is entering unpopular wars and trying to lead the rest of the world in technology consumption

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Folks, there is a HUGE difference between testing positive and requiring hospitalization. I think I've already had it and my doctor said "so what" and told me if it was a big deal to me, go get tested. The truth is that there will be no vaccine until early next year and the most vulnerable age groups are those above 60 years old AND/OR those with other health issues. If Vasy or Serge have it, they may get the sniffles at worst (we hope) because Russian players kick virus ass, not the other way around.

If we shut down our society for a disease with a less than 5% hospitalization rate and way less than 0.5% mortality rate for those under 50 years old, we might as well just watch reruns of the Walking Dead and cry ourselves to sleep.

Let me guess, its just a cold.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Sadly that idea is more along the lines of "Damn it boys we need to hit the same club we always go to! I can't stand being inside grr!!" the only pioneering we do is entering unpopular wars and trying to lead the rest of the world in technology consumption
I'm thinking more of the people who can't understand why POC have issues with cops, but have animosity for the ATF themselves.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

It might not even be that bad for some. Didn't Rudy Gobert say he had no idea he had it because he had no symptoms? I'm sure the players who tested positive were in the same boat. Sure it can be deadly to some who get it but so can the common cold, very few do but still possible.

What do you want the country to do, stay on lock down? If you're worried about getting it then keep doing what you did while it was in lock down, only go out for essentials, wear a mask if you do and was your hands regularly. By now everyone should know what symptoms to look for and there's places to get tested in every city. A few athletes testing positive isn't going to change my opinion on this virus. I still believe it isn't as bad as they feared, I think the worst is behind us and that we need to move forward but still be cautious and if you use common sense will be fine.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015

Nope. Far worse. However the mortality rate affects mostly individuals over 65 years of age or those younger with major pre-existing conditions. The statistics verify this.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Per Elliotte Friedman, the league had a conference call with league GMs last night and he believes the message was to continue to see how phase 2 plays out after the NHL made their statement on 11 players testing positive since testing began June 8th. He also believes that atm, this news has not changed any of the leagues scheduling of when they plan to start the next phases.

From Chris Johnston of sportsnet:
"I do think to a certain degree this was expected, that there would be positives tests. You've had players away from their teams for 12-13-14 weeks in some cases. Obviously this has spread quite a bit especially here in North America of late. So I don't know if this is a surprise to the league but obviously this makes big headlines and there are some challenges, and this reinforces those challenges that the NHL and NHLPA are facing."
"I think the league has taken steps here (to protect players anonymity). You saw Friday night's announcement from the NHL. It just said 11 players out of the more than 200 tested in phase 2. Prior to that it had been individual teams announcing, weather it was the Colorado Avalanche, or the Ottawa Senators, Boston Bruins, or Arizona Coyotes, they all had a player of staff member test positive and they announced that it was a member or multiple members of their team. I think the league is sensitive to the fact that these players don't want to be identified. ... I think it will be much more challenging though when you get to the training camps or the competition phase because it may be a case where a player is with the team everyday at practice and playing games and then they disappear one day. I don't know how they plan to handle that."

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Too many people.

Cut it to 8 teams...make the bubble smaller. Top 4 on each side.

They will never pull this off.

Reactions: Sky04

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Too many people.

Cut it to 8 teams...make the bubble smaller. Top 4 on each side.

They will never pull this off.

ya I agree we have to many teams we need a smaller bubble

Per Elliotte Friedman, the league had a conference call with league GMs last night and he believes the message was to continue to see how phase 2 plays out after the NHL made their statement on 11 players testing positive since testing began June 8th. He also believes that atm, this news has not changed any of the leagues scheduling of when they plan to start the next phases.

From Chris Johnston of sportsnet:

only 2 hub cities? They need 4 in my opinion

Last edited by a moderator:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Get these guys the hell out of Florida. Rumors are players will be ineligible 6-8 weeks after testing negative.

we’re screwed if more players get it. What a shame for the Bolts

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Get these guys the hell out of Florida. Rumors are players will be ineligible 6-8 weeks after testing negative.

we’re screwed if more players get it. What a shame for the Bolts

This. What would keep us from renting a facility in less of a hotbed?

PS: Please come to NB, Lightning. We are more/less Covid free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad