2019-20 General Lightning Discussion - Part 3: Uncharted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I understand what you're saying. What if that convo happens in private? what player would want to have name on the waiver wire?

None. TyJo could be given the ability to control the message

He's not meant to be speedy Point ... he's meant to be a punisher, grinder, grit and he is 100% that

Really tired of people thinking that a player is worthless because of speed. Even announcers for all teams say speed only is what killed the earlier versions of these Bolts because they had no one to punish other players

I rather have a grinder like Coleman than one like Maroon, honestly

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Hornqvist just waived to go to Florida, right? That's brutal. Obviously different circumstances, but maybe the odds that Johnson waives aren't as bad as we think? Just thinking out loud.
Teams can turn around fast. Detroit under Yzerman has this potential (as Johnny well knows).

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
In that case, may have to look to Palat or McDonagh to be moved if Johnson nor Gourde do not waive.
Those players' NTC's notwithstanding, do you think they wouldn't take priority over Cirelli?

I'm just trying to get a sense of best and worst realistic case scenarios. It seems as though best would be trading Killorn and Johnson without much issue and getting Sergachev, Cirelli and Cernak all re-signed, whether it be bridge deals or otherwise.

And worst case would be, what, trading Killorn, keeping Johnson, and having to decide between Sergachev and Cirelli i.e. losing Cirelli?

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
I rather have a grinder like Coleman than one like Maroon, honestly
Coleman isn't a grinder, he's a 3rd line player, even 2nd depending on team; yes, he'll hit people but I see him more as a hybrid score/play maker willing to hit vs hit-you-mofo-first

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Teams can turn around fast. Detroit under Yzerman has this potential (as Johnny well knows).

It won't be as fast in Detroit. I do believe Yzerman will turn them around, but he needs cornerstone players. Which will require tanking. Yzerman is more than willing to do this, as we saw here, but he had two major cornerstones in place, and Al Murray.

I think Yzerman is among the best GMs in the league, but he's in a far worse situation in Detroit than he was here. Part of why we're so good right now is Yzerman was ahead of the curve enough to draft Kucherov and Point. But things have changed since 2014, and teams have caught up. They know they can hit homeruns with small, skilled players.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
These types of moves are last resorts. Being cutthroat with your longtime guys isn't going to go down well with the rest of the players.

This is a business, you have to make decisions to keep your business strong and try to improve. If that rubs someone wrong that's fine but you can't make decisions based on emotions. It also isn't a good look to Johnson is he refuses to work with BriseBois on a trade. He knows he's fallen down the pecking order and we have more on the way to push him down further. He also has to know next season is his last so why fight over one more season?

Reactions: NatoGhost

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Its not all bad. Its possible we go into next postseason basically dumping two warm bodies in this year's playoffs (TyJo/Killorn) and adding a 40 goal scorer.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it

Bolts lose their Assistant Director of Amateur Scouting right before the draft

congrats on the cup guys! Coyotes fan here in envy - what are your opinions on this hire by the Coyotes? You guys have drafted so well and the Coyotes have arguably the worst track record in the draft since the late 1990’s, so the idea of this intrigued me.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
This is a business, you have to make decisions to keep your business strong and try to improve. If that rubs someone wrong that's fine but you can't make decisions based on emotions. It also isn't a good look to Johnson is he refuses to work with BriseBois on a trade. He knows he's fallen down the pecking order and we have more on the way to push him down further. He also has to know next season is his last so why fight over one more season?
It's not good business either to act like a tough guy and alienate everyone you have to negotiate with.

The GMs know it's a business, but it's not a guarantee that every player has actually internalized that. I see it as an Orlando fan. Guys can get offended and pout when they're demoted. You have to manage the people too.

There's a continuum.
1. See if there's interest in Johnny/ask if he'd be amenable to potentially waiving to certain markets
2. Try to find a deal that works for the Lightning and TyJo
-
3a. *deal is found* convince Johnny of benefits of new opportunity
3b. *deal is not found/agreed on* check on possibility of contract termination/buyout
-
4. inform on lack of options, opening the possibility of being placed on waivers.
5. second chance on trade
6. deal or waive
(assuming no deal & no waiver claim)
7. AHL (or buyout)
8. Player either reports or doesn't. If they don't, terminate the contract.
9. If player reports, but is going to be an issue, try to loan to another team, and if possible try to pick up minor assets for the minor league club for the privilege.

Last edited:
Reactions: NatoGhost and PJ817

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
0 chance Palat moves. I think we would survive if Cirelli leaves, but Palat was a big, big part of this cup win.

In the last 5 years, how often has Palat been good vs bad? He was amazing in the playoffs but going forward you still have to wonder which version of Palat we get. Whether its injuries or confidence or both he has not been particularly consistent.

So while i dont think he's at the top of the list (ahem TJ) I don't think he's 0%. Trading while value is high could be a consideration.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It's not good business either to act like a tough guy and alienate everyone you have to negotiate with.

The GMs know it's a business, but it's not a guarantee that every player has actually internalized that. I see it as an Orlando fan. Guys can get offended and pout when they're demoted. You have to manage the people too.

There's a continuum.
1. See if there's interest in Johnny/ask if he'd be amenable to potentially waiving to certain markets
2. Try to find a deal that works for the Lightning and TyJo
-
3a. *deal is found* convince Johnny of benefits of new opportunity
3b. *deal is not found/agreed on* check on possibility of contract termination/buyout
-
4. inform on lack of options, opening the possibility of being placed on waivers.
5. second chance on trade
6. deal or waive
(assuming no deal & no waiver claim)
7. AHL (or buyout)
8. Player either reports or doesn't. If they don't, terminate the contract.
9. If player reports, but is going to be an issue, try to loan to another team, and if possible try to pick up minor assets for the minor league club for the privilege.

Sure. I wasn't saying we just tell him waive your NTC right now or you'll be riding the bus in Syracuse. We obviously would go through the process with him to find the best team for him that gets us the best deal. But we also shouldn't be too nice to the guy and not even mention a demotion or buyout.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
In the last 5 years, how often has Palat been good vs bad? He was amazing in the playoffs but going forward you still have to wonder which version of Palat we get. Whether its injuries or confidence or both he has not been particularly consistent.

So while i dont think he's at the top of the list (ahem TJ) I don't think he's 0%. Trading while value is high could be a consideration.
To be fair high ankle sprains are just brutal he dealt with them a few times. If he can stay healthy he fits so well with the skill guys that top line owned everybody.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
This is how we can have a better team next year than our playoff roster this year. We're adding a 40 goal-scorer.

Well, I'm not sure how much you can count on that anymore. Dude has had a lot of injuries so I'm not sure how much you can count on him being good to go in the playoffs come 2021. Back in February, we would've expected him to be in the playoffs this season, and look how that turned out, you know?

If it were a one-time thing, I wouldn't say anything. But this is someone who has missed considerable amounts of time in four different seasons now. Hopefully it gets better with him, but it's increasingly harder to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: NatoGhost

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Hard question to everyone of you.
In you opinion will we resign both Maroon and Shatty?
Maroon yes, on the condition that they try some changes in the off season to increase his speed.
Shattenkirk maybe, on the condition that he'd be okay with taking a pay cut again.

We aren't dumping Maroon and Paquette to replace them essentially with rookies. So no Swaggy-ABB-Volkov 4th line.

Reactions: Fabiobest

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

It'd be advantageous for the team to say now TJ was playing hurt all year.

Let's see what they do.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
You do that kind of deal if your franchise is in a rebuilding mode, not coming off of a Stanley Cup win and wants to go for the back2back
LA is in a weird spot themselves. They've got a lot of picks, and a few older players. It's an unusual point in their cycle to buy an expensive player in his prime.

They look like a selling team to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad