Speculation: 2019-20 Expected Blackhawks Roster Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Do you not read? :laugh:

It's a matter of 3 wins that separated the Hawks from a playoff spot this season. Ward was responsible for at least 5 losses, himself. If not more. So to think this team can't make the playoffs as constructed... yeah, you should find a new sport to stat watch. Baseball is probably more up your alley. Your sagging conference argument is stupid. Every year it takes between 90-95 points to make the playoffs. Over the last 8 seasons, it takes on average, 93 points to get in. That's a whopping 4 wins difference from the Hawks this season... The sagging conference argument is the dumbest one out there.

he was also 16 and 12. did they sign a new backup i dont know about? will the new backup go 21-7? people have different opinions then you get over it and stop attacking. a lot of things went right and a lot of things went wrong. as loud as you are you still cant be sure and people can have differing opinions.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
he was also 16 and 12. did they sign a new backup i dont know about? will the new backup go 21-7? people have different opinions then you get over it and stop attacking.

Ward was on a 1 year deal. It's pretty much a guarantee he won't be back next season. And he shouldn't be. He should retire. Guy has a good game here or there, and apparently he should be an NHL backup? Nevermind the handful+ games that he handed to other teams with letting in garbage goals and having terrible games early on in the season? I'm 100% confident in saying that Delia, next season, would be a far better backup than Ward could be, and was this season.

As far as attacking, I'm going to argue against something when someone is flat-out wrong, and every single thing in the world says it's wrong. I don't care who you are. If you don't like it, the ignore button is a click away.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Keith was a major contributor to the TEAM defense being shit.

Because he was bad.

A team is a collection of individuals. The quality of a team’s performance is the culminatiom of the play of the individuals, particularly the individuals getting the most minutes, in the most important positions. Our top-pairing being composed of guys that weren’t performing at a top-pairing level is a major reason our team defense sucked. Not the only reason, but a big one.

Because he was rolled out with #1D deployment despite not being a top-pairing D anymore. Or at least, not being a top-pair calibur D all last season. He was deployed as such because the Blackhawks lack better options.

Maybe he magically has more ****s to give or adjusts his play to a more conservative Ryan Suter style game to account for toll that years and miles that prevent him from making the plays he used to, that he struggled to make over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over this season.

Or maybe, more likely, he is what he is and is a 2nd pair guy on a contending team now.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Keith was a major contributor to the TEAM defense being ****.

Because he was bad.

A team is a collection of individuals. The quality of a team’s performance is the culminatiom of the play of the individuals, particularly the individuals getting the most minutes, in the most important positions. Our top-pairing being composed of guys that weren’t performing at a top-pairing level is a major reason our team defense sucked. Not the only reason, but a big one.

Because he was rolled out with #1D deployment despite not being a top-pairing D anymore. Or at least, not being a top-pair calibur D all last season. He was deployed as such because the Blackhawks lack better options.

Maybe he magically has more ****s to give or adjusts his play to a more conservative Ryan Suter style game to account for toll that years and miles that prevent him from making the plays he used to, that he struggled to make over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over this season.

Or maybe, more likely, he is what he is and is a 2nd pair guy on a contending team now.

:laugh:

You can continue to scream this ridiculous opinion at the top of your lungs, but the numbers say otherwise.

Love the guy who never played a team sport in his life trying to tell me what a team is, though. :thumbu::laugh:

You keep screaming this stuff JD, but funny... the "has a statistic for every argument" guy hasn't posted a single statistic to back up his claims to this point... Hmmmmmmmmmm. Wonder why?

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
They contended for a playoff spot because the entire conferemce sagged this season.

The fanbases for the teams behind the Blackhawks in the standings are all doing the same kind of mental gymnastics to convince themselves that their teams will contend next season on account of youth and bounce-back performances.

Let’s say, for arguements sake, all of them are wrong and we are right. No other teams improve and its just a slightly more developed or comfortable Chicago squad against the same lineups on the teams that beat them out. Which of the teams ahead of Chicago do you see falling out? I mean, injuries and down seasons happen, theres no sure thing, but I think its pretty clear that the Blackhawks will need a team ahead of them to **** up to get in.

Just because it might be difficult to pinpoint which individual team will fall back right now, doesn't make it any more or less likely that one will. Almost every season there is a team or 2 that falls back in each conference. Just look at the last 3 years in only the central. Just like player development isn't necessarily linear the same can be said for team development. There's fluctuations every year.

Wild
2017-18 101 pts 3rd
2018-19 83 pts 7th

Blackhawks
2016-17 109 pts 1st
2017-18 76 pts 7th

Stars
2015-16 109 pts 1st (many burned villages)
2016-17 79 pts 6th

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
I don't think anyone is a fanboy, I just do not understand how you can make a claim that this team will not improve unless they get another top dman despite the fact that the bulk of this team is 23-27 years old...only 5 guys are above 30 years old, AA as well if he stays..we went months without our #1 goalie and had a new coach/system brought in.

I am not saying this team will compete for the central, but they have enough talent as is and enough younger players still improving to make a case they will only get better...already will be bringing in Kubalik, a more mature Joker, and a better goalie option in Delia than Ward..I am far more confident they will be a playoff contender than a bottom feeder based off of these things and a potential top 3 pick who might be able to step in next year..plus a better system in place from day 1 in JC.
i agree with most of this. i think they should be a little bit better. it is not unfathonable to think that toews kane debrincat strome gus wont all have career years again. injuries will happen every year. we have a injury prone goalie now. Kane Toews Keith have never had a major injury that could happen who knows. The powerplay this year was unbelievably hot for a good chunk we dont know if that will happen again.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

Because he was bad.

that is your biggest problem right there...if you do not think Keith is a top pairing dman still then the rest of your logic is failed as well.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
that is your biggest problem right there...if you do not think Keith is a top pairing dman still then the rest of your logic is failed as well.

The funniest part is he is just trying to argue, rather than putting out his usual statistics... because the statistics don't back up his argument in this instance. :laugh:

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Ward was on a 1 year deal. It's pretty much a guarantee he won't be back next season. And he shouldn't be. He should retire. Guy has a good game here or there, and apparently he should be an NHL backup? Nevermind the handful+ games that he handed to other teams with letting in garbage goals and having terrible games early on in the season? I'm 100% confident in saying that Delia, next season, would be a far better backup than Ward could be, and was this season.

As far as attacking, I'm going to argue against something when someone is flat-out wrong, and every single thing in the world says it's wrong. I don't care who you are. If you don't like it, the ignore button is a click away.
so delia will give you those 5 extra wins that you are talking about.... .750 win rate would be a hell of a season.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Kane (44/66/110) ~ Marchand (36/64/100)
Toews (35/46/81) ~ Bergeron (32/47/79)
Debrincat (41/35/76) ~ Pastrnak (38/43/81)
Saad (23/24/47) ~ Debrusk (27/15/42)
Strome (17/34/51) ~ Krejci (20/53/73)
Gustafsson (17/43/60) ~ Krug (6/47/53)

Keith ~ Chara
Murphy ~ Carlo
Kampf ~ Kuraly
Kahun ~ Heinen

Crawford? ~ Rask

Johansson/Coyle were deadline pickups, but they did not have them for a majority of the year.

We need someone to emerge as our Charlie McAvoy, and our depth defenders to play like solid #5s (Forsling, Koekkoek, Dahlstrom) as Boston has the underrated Matt Gryzelcyk on their bottom pair.

They are some similarities with this team and the Bruins. Their offense is better by a bit, they have a much better defensive system and have Charlie McAvoy who is a legit #2 already. Rask/Halak are great goaltenders, but Crawford if healthy is as good, if not better.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Because he was bad.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that part of what made Keith elite was his give a shit level. This year he went through a phase after Q was let go where it was clear that he did not care. It took him longer to buy in. It is not a accident that once he bought in his numbers shot back up.

18-19 season with Q: 57% Corsi
JC hiring to 2/28/19: 46% Corsi
3/1/19 till the end of the season: 52% Corsi

Fun number to look at:
Murphy: 3/1/19 till the end of the season: 53.35% Corsi with 43.21% ZS...wonder if he likes playing for JC more than Q.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I don't think anyone is a fanboy, I just do not understand how you can make a claim that this team will not improve unless they get another top dman despite the fact that the bulk of this team is 23-27 years old...only 5 guys are above 30 years old, AA as well if he stays..we went months without our #1 goalie and had a new coach/system brought in.

I am not saying this team will compete for the central, but they have enough talent as is and enough younger players still improving to make a case they will only get better...already will be bringing in Kubalik, a more mature Joker, and a better goalie option in Delia than Ward..I am far more confident they will be a playoff contender than a bottom feeder based off of these things and a potential top 3 pick who might be able to step in next year..plus a better system in place from day 1 in JC.

A lottery team doesnt mean picking in the top 3. You miss the playoffs, you’re in the lottery.

The Blackhawks may improve marginally without a significant add, but every team is going to see marginal improvement from players on the roster. Are you so confident our kids will improve more than theirs?

More over, you’re talking about peripheral pieces. If this team had a top-pairing caliber Dman (let alone a legit top pair), then I would look at those adds and say ‘yeah, thats a moderate improvement to the 2nd pair and 3rd pair. But what youre listing amounts to putting bandaids around the edges of gunshot wounds.

If this team addresses the critical area of need (ie, a legitimate top dman or top pair), then I think they’re a playoff team. If they dont, then I think any improvement they show will be matched or bettered by the teams around them, resulting in them staying in the same place or falling.

What you’re listing ARE improvements. Just not significant enough to jump ahead of any of the teams in front of them IMO. Cause those teams arent standing still either. Some are going to get better, while some are far enough ahead that even if the cap forces them to get worse, they’ll still be out of reach (Winnipeg, Nashville, etc).

Again, I ask, which of the 8 teams in the playoffs are the Blackhawks knocking out and taking the place of?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
i agree with most of this. i think they should be a little bit better. it is not unfathonable to think that toews kane debrincat strome gus wont all have career years again. injuries will happen every year. we have a injury prone goalie now. Kane Toews Keith have never had a major injury that could happen who knows. The powerplay this year was unbelievably hot for a good chunk we dont know if that will happen again.
we were remarkably healthy for much of our top players outside of Crow..you have to imagine that will balance out this coming season and we will go through some injuries..but our depth will be better to help stabilize that IMO, the kids will continue to improve, we have names already coming in plus a solid UFA crop that we can go big fish or a few medium to small fish to help out as well..just way to many variables to make a claim they will miss the playoffs based on getting a top pairing dman...seems idiotic to make that claim for someone so numbers orientated.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
so delia will give you those 5 extra wins that you are talking about.... .750 win rate would be a hell of a season.

It's very much possible. Are you of the opinion that Ward cost the Hawks, at minimum, 3 games this season? I'm pretty sure the majority of the board can agree that he cost them that many. And most would say he cost them more than that. I feel like his bad goals, and bad play early on, I'm being generous at 5. There were some awful, awful games in the first quarter or so of the season...

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Kane (44/66/110) ~ Marchand (36/64/100)
Toews (35/46/81) ~ Bergeron (32/47/79)
Debrincat (41/35/76) ~ Pastrnak (38/43/81)
Saad (23/24/47) ~ Debrusk (27/15/42)
Strome (17/34/51) ~ Krejci (20/53/73)
Gustafsson (17/43/60) ~ Krug (6/47/53)

Keith ~ Chara
Murphy ~ Carlo
Kampf ~ Kuraly
Kahun ~ Heinen

Crawford? ~ Rask

Johansson/Coyle were deadline pickups, but they did not have them for a majority of the year.

We need someone to emerge as our Charlie McAvoy, and our depth defenders to play like solid #5s (Forsling, Koekkoek, Dahlstrom) as Boston has the underrated Matt Gryzelcyk on their bottom pair.

They are some similarities with this team and the Bruins. Their offense is better by a bit, they have a much better defensive system and have Charlie McAvoy who is a legit #2 already. Rask/Halak are great goaltenders, but Crawford if healthy is as good, if not better.
big thing is having that same production while cutting goals against about 25% ha. Hawks had 291 scored against them and bruins had 212 against them. Thats good for bruins being 3rd best and hawks being 2nd worst.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

You can continue to scream this ridiculous opinion at the top of your lungs, but the numbers say otherwise.

Love the guy who never played a team sport in his life trying to tell me what a team is, though. :thumbu::laugh:

You keep screaming this stuff JD, but funny... the "has a statistic for every argument" guy hasn't posted a single statistic to back up his claims to this point... Hmmmmmmmmmm. Wonder why?

You think it might be because literally the first thing you told me was that you dont care what the numbers say? Why would I pull out numbers if I know they’ll be handwaved away?

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
big thing is having that same production while cutting goals against about 25% ha. Hawks had 291 scored against them and bruins had 212 against them. Thats good for bruins being 3rd best and hawks being 2nd worst.

Healthy CC
A league average PK... (is that too much to ask for)
A top 4 defender to emerge
Better defensive system

Hopefully gets our GAA down next year

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
A lottery team doesnt mean picking in the top 3. You miss the playoffs, you’re in the lottery.

The Blackhawks may improve marginally without a significant add, but every team is going to see marginal improvement from players on the roster. Are you so confident our kids will improve more than theirs?

More over, you’re talking about peripheral pieces. If this team had a top-pairing caliber Dman (let alone a legit top pair), then I would look at those adds and say ‘yeah, thats a moderate improvement to the 2nd pair and 3rd pair. But what youre listing amounts to putting bandaids around the edges of gunshot wounds.

If this team addresses the critical area of need (ie, a legitimate top dman or top pair), then I think they’re a playoff team. If they dont, then I think any improvement they show will be matched or bettered by the teams around them, resulting in them staying in the same place or falling.

What you’re listing ARE improvements. Just not significant enough to jump ahead of any of the teams in front of them IMO. Cause those teams arent standing still either. Some are going to get better, while some are far enough ahead that even if the cap forces them to get worse, they’ll still be out of reach (Winnipeg, Nashville, etc).

Again, I ask, which of the 8 teams in the playoffs are the Blackhawks knocking out and taking the place of?
you are literally just throwing darts at a wall with a blindfold on...or just pulling shit out of your ass...either way, your take is wrong IMO.

tumblr_pppdye9MJQ1xkok61o1_500.gif

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

I mean Ward had a 89.7% save percentage and Delia had 90.8% save percentage. Just using basic math that is 13 goals so yes he could have had 5 extra wins. Realistically I think it would have been 3 more wins. This put the Hawks at 90 points which ties the Avs.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

The same Winnipeg that just got knocked out by the Blues? The same Winnipeg that is going to have to start losing pieces to the cap? Or those Predators that are losing 3-2 to the Stars right now? :laugh:

You should have stopped a long time ago, but you just keep embarrassing yourself. Have you even watched 1 playoff game yet?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I mean Ward had a 89.7% save percentage and Delia had 90.8% save percentage. Just using basic math that is 13 goals so yes he could have had 5 extra wins. Realistically I think it would have been 3 more wins. This put the Hawks at 90 points which ties the Avs.
#Numbers

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Are you just assuming they will sign no one this summer and they will have no improvement? Kind of seems like you are. They have a shit ton of cap space and quite a bit of young talent. Debrincat and Strome are not close to finished products.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
delia goals against and save percentage got increasingly worse as he played. wins per game he was worse. lotta different ways to do basic math depending on what answer your trying to come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad