2019-20 Dallas Stars Regular Season Discussion - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm about 90% sure after reviewing Robertson's contract that his bonuses are games played bonuses and not A bonuses. It's a tactic Dallas has used in the past. It allows you to keep the salary lower (impacts QO), but it allows you to give the max signing bonus.

A normal max ELC without A or B bonuses is $925K. The max signing bonus is 10% or $92,500. ELC's actually allow games played bonuses to count as part of the salary. The way you spot them is when the salary on Cap Friendly is not listed as $832,500 but the signing bonus is listed as $92,500.

This only matters because the signing bonus can not be more than 10% so the only way give a max signing bonus of $92,500 per season is if the salary is $832,500. Like I said though, ELCs allow you to combine base salary with a games played bonus to reach that number.

Just for comparison, if you go check Miro Heiskanen, his salary column every season is $832,500 with a $92,500 signing bonus. That's for each of the three seasons. If you look at Robertson's base salary, it's $700K this year and $750K the following 2 years. His signing bonus though is the full $92,500. If you look over at his bonus column though, Robertson's bonus potential this season is $132,500, and then it goes down to $82,500 the next 2 seasons. When you combine the Y1 base with his bonuses and then the Y2/3 base with those bonuses, the total is $832,500. That's the dead giveaway those bonuses are games played.

The only problem I have with Cap Friendly is they list all bonuses on ELC's together with no breakdown. That forces some estimations, but since nearly all ELC's are pretty similar, it's typically easy to get the right numbers, but again ... you're still making an educated guest since that information isn't on their site.

Why does this matter? It's very likely not interesting to anyone else, but it was to me. The only impact it has is a games played bonus on an ELC is virtually identical to a games played bonus on a standard player contract (Perry/Sekera). If Robertson earns, them, that opens the door for additional bonus overages. At the end of the day, it's less than $150K so it's not something that's bad, it's just something that could happen. Games played bonuses for an ELC are virtually never reported on unless they are earned so you never hear about them until after the season and usually then it's only if they result in an overage.

I'm probably odd for being so interested in contract structure, but it does suck that virtually every detail of a regular contact is reported yet you get very, very basic information about ELCs which are far more interesting. It would be interesting to know how Dallas structured those bonuses. You have a ton of leeway so that could be a lump sum bonus or multiple smaller bonuses.

Some more creative teams use the games played bonus to guarantee more money essentially. Technically, the only thing on an ELC that is guaranteed is the signing bonus. The games played loophole that's not technically a loophole is you could give a max games played bonus for 1 NHL game played. I've only seen it a few times, and it was mostly with older Europeans signing an ELC. I doubt Dallas did this with Robertson, but the contract is structured that way. Essentially, the minimum salary a player can earn is $700,00. A team could in theory agree to a 1 game played bonus of $132,500 with a signing bonus of $92,500.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
This is probably random, but is there anyone on here that use to use the boards on Andrew's Stars Page? I just thought about that for the first time in years. It was Mark Stepneski's site before he started doing ESPN Dallas. I was still in high school I think. I read it daily, but I didn't post so much. Was just curious if there were any other guys that remembered that site.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
This is probably random, but is there anyone on here that use to use the boards on Andrew's Stars Page? I just thought about that for the first time in years. It was Mark Stepneski's site before he started doing ESPN Dallas. I was still in high school I think. I read it daily, but I didn't post so much. Was just curious if there were any other guys that remembered that site.

I read it with my mom, but I was also in elementary school during most of that :laugh:

Never posted but I have some fond memories.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Yep. Migrated to the stars fans board for a while too. I think I had the same handle there as well.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg

I posted on it. It was my homepage in Netscape Navigator 3 (4?) in 1998/99. The good ol' days.

Last edited:

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Aye. I was there until Mark shut it down in anger when he realized people were using naughty language.

Starsfansfromqc

Sep 8, 2018
Men if Tyler Seguin and Joe Pavelski can refound a bit of their scoring touch again i'm pretty confident about this team going forward!

Long time no see this one timer of Seguin on the power play! Good to watch

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
St. Louis loses again. If Dallas gets the win in OT or in the SO, they will end the night in sole possession of 1st in the West.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Can someone explain why regulation wins is the tie breaker? Seems like overall wins should be the tie breaker. Or am I off on this? Who cares if you have to win in OT you won the game.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Can someone explain why regulation wins is the tie breaker? Seems like overall wins should be the tie breaker. Or am I off on this? Who cares if you have to win in OT you won the game.

Adds a bit of incentive to not waste the last minute or two of a game to get to OT. I have no problem with it the way it is.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
OT 3v3 isn't real hockey, it's a gimmick because modern fans don't like ties, therefore those wins shouldn't count as much as regulation wins.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It's just the NHL's way of slowly dragging it's feet until it does the logical thing and go to the system the European leagues use.

Regulation win: 3 Points
OT/SO win: 2 Points
OT/SO loss: 1 Point
Regulation loss: 0 Points

All games are worth 3 points instead of a smattering of 2 point and 3 point games.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It's just the NHL's way of slowly dragging it's feet until it does the logical thing and go to the system the European leagues use.

All games are worth 3 points instead of a smattering of 2 point and 3 point games.

I still have no idea why we haven't gotten here yet. This system is far superior to some games being worth more points than others.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

The current way just keeps the league tigher for longer and keeps alot of teams in the race longer than they probably deserve. I don't think they'll ever fully embrace the 3-2-1-0 setup.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I still have no idea why we haven't gotten here yet. This system is far superior to some games being worth more points than others.

Because owners want their teams to stay in the playoff race longer to sell more tickets even when they aren't actually close to making it.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
It would be interesting to see what the standings would’ve been over the last few years if it was the 3 point system instead. Do the playoff teams change? Or just some minor shuffling in the standings?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It would be interesting to see what the standings would’ve been over the last few years if it was the 3 point system instead. Do the playoff teams change? Or just some minor shuffling in the standings?

I've seen this once or twice and I'd like to do this myself. IIRC, it only affects a few teams usually at the bottom of the playoff race. Positions change a bit, but there aren't any major effects.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I've seen this once or twice and I'd like to do this myself. IIRC, it only affects a few teams usually at the bottom of the playoff race. Positions change a bit, but there aren't any major effects.

And this is why it won't change. Its to keep more bubble teams around.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Does the OT and shootout record cause any concern for anyone else. It is great they have the wins but since so many are coming in gimmick fashion is the team as good as we think.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Blues have 10, Stars and Avs have 6 each as far as OTL points. The Eastern conference leading Bruins have 12. Only a few other teams in double digits across the league, including the Sens who I guess would be really bad without them. Seems like the Stars are about average.

Regulation wins are Avs 30, Stars 23, Blues 25, so yes, we are the worst of those three in that decider between ties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad