2019-20 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Is there really a market for two AHL teams in Colorado?

Sure, why not? I think it only becomes a problem if they try to put another team in the Denver Metro Area. Both the Cutthroats and Rocky Mountain Rage didn't last long, but the Eagles have been wildly successful, no reason to think Springs couldn't be.

I still think a minor-league franchise in Broomfield or even Denver could work, but it would require a sizable and sustained investment.

Reactions: McMetal

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
A bit, but the Eagles had a loyal following long before they were part of the Avs org, and that was when they were just an ECHL team.

Besides, AHL fans don't seem to care much about the parent clubs. We all follow the AHL because of the Avs, but whenever I go up to Loveland for an Eagles game (or for those rookie tournaments in the spring), Eagles fans generally couldn't care less about the Avs or who on the Eagles might eventually get promoted to the big club. They're fans of the Eagles first and foremost. They go to the rookie tournament to see future Eagles players, not future Avs.

I'm not so sure about that. I live in Canuckland and the Flames moved their AHL team into a brand new state of the art arena (7000 seats) in Abbotsford, just outside of Vancouver. They had crap attendance and moved after 5 years and the reason was that Canuck fans didn't care to support a rival's prospects.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Sure, why not? I think it only becomes a problem if they try to put another team in the Denver Metro Area. Both the Cutthroats and Rocky Mountain Rage didn't last long, but the Eagles have been wildly successful, no reason to think Springs couldn't be.

I still think a minor-league franchise in Broomfield or even Denver could work, but it would require a sizable and sustained investment.
I've often wondered if the 1stBank Center could hold a hockey team. It's right along that busy Denver/Boulder corridor and there's a ton of people living in the area between Broomfield, Boulder, Louisville, and Westminster.

Still though, the Eagles are kind of a model franchise. Their success has been the result of hard work and really good outreach over the years. Not every franchise/owner could replicate their success given the same circumstances.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm not so sure about that. I live in Canuckland and the Flames moved their AHL team into a brand new state of the art arena (7000 seats) in Abbotsford, just outside of Vancouver. They had crap attendance and moved after 5 years and the reason was that Canuck fans didn't care to support a rival's prospects.
Perhaps Canada is different, hockey is a religion up there. I can only speak to my personal experience with the Eagles fanbase, as well as my sister's boyfriend, who is a Wolf Pack season ticket holder. A lot of the US based AHL fans I know and have met have more loyalty to the AHL franchise than the NHL.

I mean, the Chicago Wolves have zero affiliation with the Blackhawks, and they don't seem to suffer from it.

Matt Roberts

May 26, 2019
I've often wondered if the 1stBank Center could hold a hockey team. It's right along that busy Denver/Boulder corridor and there's a ton of people living in the area between Broomfield, Boulder, Louisville, and Westminster.

Still though, the Eagles are kind of a model franchise. Their success has been the result of hard work and really good outreach over the years. Not every franchise/owner could replicate their success given the same circumstances.
Wasn't 1st Bank the home of the Rage before they went under? They had a little rivalry going with the Eagles for a few years.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Wasn't 1st Bank the home of the Rage before they went under? They had a little rivalry going with the Eagles for a few years.
I looked it up, they sure did. For some reason I remember them playing a lot further south than that, but it's been a while and I wasn't closely following hockey at the time.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I looked it up, they sure did. For some reason I remember them playing a lot further south than that, but it's been a while and I wasn't closely following hockey at the time.
The Colorado Gold Kings might be the team you're thinking of, they shared the World Arena with CC until the team folded from the WCHL (whatever that league is).

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yes, the Rage played at what was then called the Broomfield Event Center. I went to a game and even bought a jersey. I still have it! I also bought my wife a Rage fleece vest and somewhere I still have a Rage keychain somewhere (yeah, I kinda went nuts at their gift shop). Would've been a great rivalry had they been able to keep it up, it was a good experience...I wish they had been able to keep it up. That would've been an awesome rivalry with the Eagles. Unfortunately they folded and I believe the entire CHL did not long after, and I believe that was when a couple of the remnants (the Eagles and Allen Americans) were then absorbed into the ECHL.

Side note: The Nuggets had their G-league team (wasn't called that at the time), the 14ers, playing there as well. They folded pretty quick.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Wasn't sure if this was posted and put it in another thread. It is strange. It would seem like the Eagles should be in the Colorado Springs market.

I'd probably get season tickets if it was the Avs farm team in the Springs.

I have zero interest in seeing the Flames farm team.

rather just go to Colorado College games down here, than the Jr. Flames.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think this is what you were looking for:
giphy.gif

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
I haven't seen a lot of people talk about AJ Greer since his suspension. If he's not getting a shot at the pro level why not trade him away to give him a chance a the deadline ?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I haven't seen a lot of people talk about AJ Greer since his suspension. If he's not getting a shot at the pro level why not trade him away to give him a chance a the deadline ?
I was expecting the same thing. The only thing I can think of is that they didn't want to weaken the Eagles now that they're finally looking good. Maybe this summer, unless there really is zero NHL interest out there for even a prospect swap.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I don't think he got a fair shake last year, but this year he's done nothing to deserve it. If he was playing well, he would've had his chance considering we've iced Tynan, Megna, Dries, and O'Connor at some point. I'm sure there will be some interest come summer as a free agent, but he's a dime a dozen player at this point of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad