2019-20 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
And he gets the shutout!

AJG with the Gordie Howe hat trick, and that Kaut guy with an assist.
Kaut was really good, showing that confidence with the puck back in the AHL. He shoulda had that goal, was the same shot as his first NHL one on the pp but it glanced off Greer. They have him on the third line with Colin Campbell and Ryan Wagner for some inexplicable reason and they will generate zero offense together. But they figured out to use Kaut on both pp1 and top pk so he does get his minutes up that way. Shame he never PKed for Avs, he’s quite good at it.

I can, and will, quibble about the lineup decisions and playing not only AHL vets but ECHL PTOs in expanded roles but Cronin does have them playing a good team game, there’s something real to the home ice advantage in Loveland and are getting great goaltending.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Kaut was really good, showing that confidence with the puck back in the AHL. He shoulda had that goal, was the same shot as his first NHL one on the pp but it glanced off Greer. They have him on the third line with Colin Campbell and Ryan Wagner for some inexplicable reason and they will generate zero offense together. But they figured out to use Kaut on both pp1 and top pk so he does get his minutes up that way. Shame he never PKed for Avs, he’s quite good at it.

I can, and will, quibble about the lineup decisions and playing not only AHL vets but ECHL PTOs in expanded roles but Cronin does have them playing a good team game, there’s something real to the home ice advantage in Loveland and are getting great goaltending.

I was relieved Sakic did not trade Kaut at the TDL. I hated the negative fan overreaction to Kaut's interview about Sakic's pep talk with him. You can just tell Kaut wants to give his all for the organization.

Reactions: Mr Zappalanche

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Greer played a great game again not that it matters to the Avs. He played a role on all 3 goals winning multiple board battles and setting screens on the PP. He has earned a call up.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

How can ECHLers play ahead of our prospects? That’s a bit messed up.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Anyone want to give me a little description of Timmins overall play over the last month or so?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
How can ECHLers play ahead of our prospects? That’s a bit messed up.
This is how they run their system. If you don’t have priority (1sts, some 2nds) then you play on the 4th line or in the ECHL while they dress as many veterans and guys on AHL contract as they can because they are older. Griffin Molino is on a PTO from Utah (he’s not even an Eagles contracted player) and he played on the top line with Condra and Tynan because he’s 25 years old. Igor was scratched and Lewis has been banished forever. They value age above all else.

Timmins shoots the puck a lot and manages to pick up a point nearly every game but probably hasn’t had the greatest month defending. He’s taken quite a few penalties lately and they are of the got beat variety. I don’t think playing in an unstructured environment is going to help that too much however. All the Ds down there have turnovers and end up running around. So he’s prob not going to get a callup but I’m not sure what more they can reasonably expect without some NHL time.

Reactions: klozge and Kaizer

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This is how they run their system. If you don’t have priority (1sts, some 2nds) then you play on the 4th line or in the ECHL while they dress as many veterans and guys on AHL contract as they can because they are older. Griffin Molino is on a PTO from Utah (he’s not even an Eagles contracted player) and he played on the top line with Condra and Tynan because he’s 25 years old. Igor was scratched and Lewis has been banished forever. They value age above all else.

Timmins shoots the puck a lot and manages to pick up a point nearly every game but probably hasn’t had the greatest month defending. He’s taken quite a few penalties lately and they are of the got beat variety. I don’t think playing in an unstructured environment is going to help that too much however. All the Ds down there have turnovers and end up running around. So he’s prob not going to get a callup but I’m not sure what more they can reasonably expect without some NHL time.
How’s his skating? I know it’s been raved about in general by our fans but every time I’ve watched him I don’t think it’s anywhere near as good as everyone else believes. Does he get beat because of his movement or is it a caught out of position kinda thing.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
How’s his skating? I know it’s been raved about in general by our fans but every time I’ve watched him I don’t think it’s anywhere near as good as everyone else believes. Does he get beat because of his movement or is it a caught out of position kinda thing.

Really? It's been raved about...? Am I not picking up on sarcasm, because if there was a huge concern apart from his obvious injury history, it was his skating.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

Is Cronin a good coach? I have read the article about Graves praising him and he seems to be good at the relationship side of coaching but how is he on implementing a system? As a teacher/prospect builder?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Timmins’ skating is better but it’s still not great. I don’t think anyone raves but it’s not seen as much of a hinderance as it can be. Straight line he’s not bad it’s just the quick transition stuff which is why when the game gets sloppier and more turnovers he can have trouble recovering. He’s a smart player so I don’t think it’s a positional issue. I’d still give him NHL games because that’s what’s going to help him figure out how to work it out and hope they don’t expect him to become someone different, which I think is getting at the root of their issues in turning out second rounders. He’s not much of a playmaker but is a great puck mover.

As much as some of the lineup decisions drive me crazy that’s probably not all on Cronin anyway, he’s done well with what he has to work with. I think he enjoys the teaching aspect of the position, which is what you need in the AHL. I wish the Avs didn’t believe this absolves them from having someone actually in charge of development but I digress. It took some time but they do play a good team game and play well defensively for as sloppy as the AHL can get. The top guys have improved, a lot of the depth prospects just get such little opportunity. It’s taken this long to get guys like Kaut and Bowers in special teams roles but again whose call is that. Cronin likes to focus on the details and the players seem to appreciate that. One thing I read was nice that Cronin specifically went to watch Kaut’s first game in Denver. They generally play the Avs system but that tends to evolve over the season and as it should to bring them success. So yes overall I think he’s been a positive there in Loveland.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Really? It's been raved about...? Am I not picking up on sarcasm, because if there was a huge concern apart from his obvious injury history, it was his skating.
Nope no sarcasm. Seems like you’re seeing what I’m seeing but the general opinion on the Avs board is that he’s this great skater.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Nope no sarcasm. Seems like you’re seeing what I’m seeing but the general opinion on the Avs board is that he’s this great skater.

You've gotten a way different temperature than I have lol.

For myself obviously hes had the * next to skating, but I feel like even people who are really high on him allow for that critique.

Reactions: cgf and McMetal

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Timmins’ skating is better but it’s still not great. I don’t think anyone raves but it’s not seen as much of a hinderance as it can be. Straight line he’s not bad it’s just the quick transition stuff which is why when the game gets sloppier and more turnovers he can have trouble recovering. He’s a smart player so I don’t think it’s a positional issue. I’d still give him NHL games because that’s what’s going to help him figure out how to work it out and hope they don’t expect him to become someone different, which I think is getting at the root of their issues in turning out second rounders. He’s not much of a playmaker but is a great puck mover.

As much as some of the lineup decisions drive me crazy that’s probably not all on Cronin anyway, he’s done well with what he has to work with. I think he enjoys the teaching aspect of the position, which is what you need in the AHL. I wish the Avs didn’t believe this absolves them from having someone actually in charge of development but I digress. It took some time but they do play a good team game and play well defensively for as sloppy as the AHL can get. The top guys have improved, a lot of the depth prospects just get such little opportunity. It’s taken this long to get guys like Kaut and Bowers in special teams roles but again whose call is that. Cronin likes to focus on the details and the players seem to appreciate that. One thing I read was nice that Cronin specifically went to watch Kaut’s first game in Denver. They generally play the Avs system but that tends to evolve over the season and as it should to bring them success. So yes overall I think he’s been a positive there in Loveland.
Thanks for you insights. You say that Cronin is a teacher but they still need someone for development. What do you mean by that? (In my head a teacher would develop players).

Reactions: Pokecheque

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
You've gotten a way different temperature than I have lol.

For myself obviously hes had the * next to skating, but I feel like even people who are really high on him allow for that critique.
Yeah, skating has always been the red flag with him, but I've always been confident that his IQ will allow him to be a top 4 D as long as his concussion concerns are behind him. If you're good at positioning and anticipation, you don't need to scramble to get where you need to be. The big question IMO is how he handles getting beat wide by speedsters in the NHL, that'll probably be his biggest weakness unless his skating improves.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah, skating has always been the red flag with him, but I've always been confident that his IQ will allow him to be a top 4 D as long as his concussion concerns are behind him. If you're good at positioning and anticipation, you don't need to scramble to get where you need to be. The big question IMO is how he handles getting beat wide by speedsters in the NHL, that'll probably be his biggest weakness unless his skating improves.

I think skating may have been a reason he didn't stick after making it out of camp.

Now is that just a blip that needed the AHL to allow him to adjust, or is it just enough that the pace isn't going to allow him to be a plus IQ player.

Should be interesting to find out.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think skating may have been a reason he didn't stick after making it out of camp.

Now is that just a blip that needed the AHL to allow him to adjust, or is it just enough that the pace isn't going to allow him to be a plus IQ player.

Should be interesting to find out.
I believe in him, but that's the biggest unknown right now. We just need a larger NHL sample size.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I believe in him, but that's the biggest unknown right now. We just need a larger NHL sample size.

Yeah we do.. it would be nice to know to an extent this season.

What if they leave a spot open and neither Timmins or Byram are ready?

EJ and Cole being a year older only makes me want another top four D more. You can't rely on either of them in the #4 slot for very long.

Honestly maybe the best thing they could do is move both Z and Cole, and then try and bring in a top four D.

At least then you are only leaving open a #6 slot, not basically leaving open a #4 slot.

It probably wouldn't be impossible to move Cole.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I dunno why I use this expression to describe skating but I do: Timmins to me looks like he ties barely ties his skates they’re way too loose. Ya know with your ankles totally unstable and just awkward with turns and cuts but he somehow pulls it off well enough. I think it’s strange looking

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm not too concerned about Byram's or Timmins' ability to stick in the NHL, my bigger concern is the latter's ability to stay healthy.

They're likely going out there to get someone, Barberio and Zadorov are likely gone, which means they're still in the market for a depth defender. I doubt they're going to leave it too wide open in hopes the prospects fill the holes.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm not too concerned about Byram's or Timmins' ability to stick in the NHL, my bigger concern is the latter's ability to stay healthy.

They're likely going out there to get someone, Barberio and Zadorov are likely gone, which means they're still in the market for a depth defender. I doubt they're going to leave it too wide open in hopes the prospects fill the holes.

I just think they should look for a top 4 D though, not another 6/7.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I just think they should look for a top 4 D though, not another 6/7.

Well, I imagine a majority of teams will sign their upcoming UFA defenders but there will still be a lot of interesting options via free agency.

Ideally they want a guy who could conceivably play that role while not outright blocking the kids from filling those top-four spots. It'll come down to just how big a commitment they make. If they sign a fairly big name, then I would think they'll ultimately move Timmins, but not before showcasing him in the NHL. But if it's a depth guy, then they'll be counting on those guys to push some of the vets out.

They'll also be losing some fairly important depth veteran d-men at the minor league level (Alt, Connauton, and possible MacDonald) so I imagine they'll be busy no matter what. I do hope they keep MacDonald though--he's been phenomenal for the Eagles. In fact, I wonder if they coulda/shoulda/woulda given him at least one game in the NHL.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Bambi on ice has been the term to describe Timmins skating for years now.... Not sure how anyone got the idea it was getting rave reviews.

I think it's definitely good enough for the NHL, and as someone else mentioned earlier, it is an awkward stride that may lend to him using more energy than you'd like which could impact his ability to play heavy minutes down the road.... But I don't really recall anyone truly raving about his skating. More along the lines of its good but not great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad