2019-20 Coaching Discussion: The Jon Cooper Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
point back tonight rushed to SAve cooper ?

I don't think we're anywhere close to that. If Cooper eventually gets fired, these days will be looked at as the early stage, IMO. I can't see it happening within a month. And we'd have to be awful for that. ...But, we're three games in, and the only one that looked "sort of okay" was the one we lost.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't think we're anywhere close to that. If Cooper eventually gets fired, these days will be looked at as the early stage, IMO. I can't see it happening within a month. And we'd have to be awful for that. ...But, we're three games in, and the only one that looked "sort of okay" was the one we lost.

I think there's a chance it happens if it's clear Cooper loses the room. If we keep getting our ass handed to us over the next few games like we did to Carolina and Stamkos keeps dropping pipe bombs then I think JBB does it. Stamkos was careful in his phrasing to call out everyone involved in the team and not point a finger. But I am nevertheless concerned by our attitude. It's been 3 games and we're already doing this. That's bad and it stinks of bad leadership. But the guy dropping pipe bombs leads the sulking charge every playoff round...

This road trip could make or break Coop's career with us. But for me I think it's time to move on if we look apathetic vs the Leafs. Bring on the Todd Richards era of he wants it

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think there's a chance it happens if it's clear Cooper loses the room. If we keep getting our ass handed to us over the next few games like we did to Carolina and Stamkos keeps dropping pipe bombs then I think JBB does it. Stamkos was careful in his phrasing to call out everyone involved in the team and not point a finger. But I am nevertheless concerned by our attitude. It's been 3 games and we're already doing this. That's bad and it stinks of bad leadership. But the guy dropping pipe bombs leads the sulking charge every playoff round...

This road trip could make or break Coop's career with us. But for me I think it's time to move on if we look apathetic vs the Leafs. Bring on the Todd Richards era of he wants it

I think momentum might start to build tonight. But we're at least a month away from somebody pulling the trigger. Unless we go 0-10 or something.

The thing about tonight's game is this is a scenario where, typically, the "real" TB Lightning show up. They were embarrassed last game, badly. Very, very badly. Usually, in that situation, the next opponent is gonna get set on fire. But it feels like that might not happen tonight. If they come out looking awful vs. a motivated Leafs team... Well, at that point it's beyond clear that there's a massive problem, and no amount of "LOL It's October" is gonna work.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think momentum might start to build tonight. But we're at least a month away from somebody pulling the trigger. Unless we go 0-10 or something.

The thing about tonight's game is this is a scenario where, typically, the "real" TB Lightning show up. They were embarrassed last game, badly. Very, very badly. Usually, in that situation, the next opponent is gonna get set on fire. But it feels like that might not happen tonight. If they come out looking awful vs. a motivated Leafs team... Well, at that point it's beyond clear that there's a massive problem, and no amount of "LOL It's October" is gonna work.

I especially agree with you on your last point but this feels like a situation that can go either very well or very bad very quickly. In the case of the latter I don't know if we can afford to wait 10 games. How bad does it have to be? 3 wins in that stretch? And how long til the team responds to the new coach? JBB can't afford to risk another 2016 at the expense of letting it play out. The only reason you keep Cooper if we slump that bad is if guys like Kucherov, Hedman and Stamkos publicly endorse Cooper, say "it's all our fault we have let our coaches down" and repeat the same thing to JBB in private.

We saw the Lightning act frustrated like this early last year but something's gotta give

Lolaimbot

Nov 20, 2016
It's been said before but I really hate how Cooper seems like he doesn't give a flying f*ck about anything. He doesn't have to be a Tortorella but c'mon, show some emotion!
Just a glance at Trotz during Caps cup run makes me wish this team had someone else coaching.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I just hope he's going to get fired, so I won't have to hear the excuse that everything was on him. In the case **** hits the fan again.

That' being said, I'm getting on the train that he's not up for the task anyway.

He won't be fired unless the team keeps playing terrible for a while again tho. Too bad.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It's been said before but I really hate how Cooper seems like he doesn't give a flying f*ck about anything. He doesn't have to be a Tortorella but c'mon, show some emotion!
Just a glance at Trotz during Caps cup run makes me wish this team had someone else coaching.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with his demeanor or approach. The problem is it's been over 6 years and we've gotten ZERO Cups for it. The team is disheartened by the setbacks, the bad luck, the shutouts, you name it. If Coop had won us some Cups we'd be hailing the dude like a GOAT and so too would the locker room. You don't need to be hellfire and brimstone to win a Stanley Cup. The fact that Cooper is so calm and boring is probably why our team has not yet given up on him (that I can tell... it's possible they're starting to though) despite the fact we've achieved less than we've wanted to in the playoffs. Our locker room got sick and tired of Guy Boucher's fire and brimstone bullshit in about 2 1/4 seasons because once teams adapted to his sole coaching strategy of a 1-3-1 forecheck, his only solution was to scream louder and make faces on the bench when we inevitably got trapped in our own zone for minutes at a time and had ZERO counter-attack strategies outside of set plays. I LOL every time the players talk about how they only want to score pretty goals. It was far worse than that it ever was now. And sure enough, the exact same thing happened in Ottawa before the team started hemorrhaging every player they had and the Sens fans were begging for his dismissal.

Coaches like Tortorella, Boucher and Sullivan have short shelf lives because after a while the price of success no longer feels worth dealing with them.

ronsatter

Aug 30, 2018
There's absolutely nothing wrong with his demeanor or approach. The problem is it's been over 6 years and we've gotten ZERO Cups for it. The team is disheartened by the setbacks, the bad luck, the shutouts, you name it. If Coop had won us some Cups we'd be hailing the dude like a GOAT and so too would the locker room. You don't need to be hellfire and brimstone to win a Stanley Cup. The fact that Cooper is so calm and boring is probably why our team has not yet given up on him (that I can tell... it's possible they're starting to though) despite the fact we've achieved less than we've wanted to in the playoffs. Our locker room got sick and tired of Guy Boucher's fire and brimstone bull**** in about 2 1/4 seasons because once teams adapted to his sole coaching strategy of a 1-3-1 forecheck, his only solution was to scream louder and make faces on the bench when we inevitably got trapped in our own zone for minutes at a time and had ZERO counter-attack strategies outside of set plays. I LOL every time the players talk about how they only want to score pretty goals. It was far worse than that it ever was now. And sure enough, the exact same thing happened in Ottawa before the team started hemorrhaging every player they had and the Sens fans were begging for his dismissal.

Coaches like Tortorella, Boucher and Sullivan have short shelf lives because after a while the price of success no longer feels worth dealing with them.
Talk about stating the obvious. But he hasn't.

Reactions: The Macho Man

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
There's absolutely nothing wrong with his demeanor or approach. The problem is it's been over 6 years and we've gotten ZERO Cups for it. The team is disheartened by the setbacks, the bad luck, the shutouts, you name it. If Coop had won us some Cups we'd be hailing the dude like a GOAT and so too would the locker room. You don't need to be hellfire and brimstone to win a Stanley Cup. The fact that Cooper is so calm and boring is probably why our team has not yet given up on him (that I can tell... it's possible they're starting to though) despite the fact we've achieved less than we've wanted to in the playoffs. Our locker room got sick and tired of Guy Boucher's fire and brimstone bull**** in about 2 1/4 seasons because once teams adapted to his sole coaching strategy of a 1-3-1 forecheck, his only solution was to scream louder and make faces on the bench when we inevitably got trapped in our own zone for minutes at a time and had ZERO counter-attack strategies outside of set plays. I LOL every time the players talk about how they only want to score pretty goals. It was far worse than that it ever was now. And sure enough, the exact same thing happened in Ottawa before the team started hemorrhaging every player they had and the Sens fans were begging for his dismissal.

I think the match has to be correct. I really don't think "a player's coach" is the right guy for a bunch of players who easily fall into bad habits.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Jon Cooper is friggin Houdini I swear. After 3 games you'd swear this team is ready to quit on him. Then we do THIS against the Leafs and anyone who didn't see or read what Stamkos said would have never suspected a single problem

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Jon Cooper is friggin Houdini I swear. After 3 games you'd swear this team is ready to quit on him. Then we do THIS against the Leafs and anyone who didn't see or read what Stamkos said would have never suspected a single problem
Getting through the regular season has never been an issue for Cooper, its adjusting in the playoffs or the lack there of that causes problems.

That being said maybe Stammer was right when he said "we know what to do, we just need to go out there and do it". If its really that simple then I think we'll be ok. Only time will tell though.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Getting through the regular season has never been an issue for Cooper, its adjusting in the playoffs or the lack there of that causes problems.

That being said maybe Stammer was right when he said "we know what to do, we just need to go out there and do it". If its really that simple then I think we'll be ok. Only time will tell though.

Show me that he can beat the trap come April I agree show me cooper!

Reactions: Master P

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He has to show he can beat a good team determined to shut us down.

That said, if we dust ourselves off and have a good regular season, we can all put our pitch forks away until May. I think it's something like SCF or bust for Cooper. I don't know that another ECF run will cut it.

Reactions: Hoek

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
credit where do put this in gameday thread after the game.... he did two things well one he let them play and just outscore an inferior imho team and we did that in spades and im not sure on power play but he had maroon in and he did the bait and switch with cirelli..... this is something i noted could be done and it was... so who knows maybe he does have some moves up his sleeve or someone does...will say after pointer missed that first goal shot in middle kucherov went to video replay on ipad or ipod or whatever and talked to the coach about something that he had seen... then cirelli sneaks in classic....one guy missed a bit of last night was sergachev super strong start of season want him to stay aggro like was playing so expect to notice him more but honestly we played outstanding.... now hopefully we can go on a roll and not play to level of teams we face even though besides ottawa and ny nj late this month we play solid teams we should be up for .... imho crisis overted.... the cirelli thing tells me maybe kucherov direction maybe the power play coach but we are working on things trying things i was totally against maroon being on power play but if we can sneak in a guy here and there change our look options? man we should be even more lethal its these kinds of things ive been waiting for honestly for a very long time.... if we are healthy at right time i see us with a cup even with cooper..... this team has a hole nother level.....

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Lose ... FIRE THE COACH!!!
Win ... crickets.

Can a fan base be more of a cliche?

I've got NOTHING against Jon Cooper. My concern has always been how the locker room has believed in him. Once that goes you've gotta move on. Since we can't really do anything better to replace him I'm keeping quiet.

But Cooper also shut me up with his backhanded quote of "I guess they could play with one puck"

Ron-Simmons-Damn.jpg

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
He has to show he can beat a good team determined to shut us down.

That said, if we dust ourselves off and have a good regular season, we can all put our pitch forks away until May. I think it's something like SCF or bust for Cooper. I don't know that another ECF run will cut it.
This is still the test for the Tampa Bay Lightning.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Win ... crickets.

I think it's right that there are crickets after this last game, however it was also right to want him fired after what transpired the previous 7 games. Including playoffs of course. I think the cooper question will be alive until we see how they do in the playoffs. I cant imagine him surviving if we have another series loss in the fashion weve been having them.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Win ... crickets.

Nobody said he'd be fired after this loss. We said there are some troubling signs early on that could potentially lead to a firing down the road.

It's not like "this one game for Cooper's job!" was ever the case.

The team showed it could still be engaged, which is definitely a point on Coop's side. His long-term future remains in jeopardy, IMO, because teams who focus on shutting us down tend to do it without much trouble. We've seen it in back to back playoff years. But Cooper will probably have this post-season to make the team at least look like it belongs on the ice with a team coached by Torts or Trotz.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
While both the Pens and Blues fired a coach midseason and still won a Cup, I dont see that happening here. This team has to learn how to play against a trap and how to win puck battles along the boards! Toronto is the tonic for the Bolts whenever they want to feel good about themselves since they neither play the trap or play very physical and would rather try and beat us in a high paced video game! Lets see how the Bolts do against a good defensive team to see how much progress has been made!

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Teams like Vegas are the real benchmark. But those games are rare and we can just say “eh it was a road trip”, “they were tired” lalala.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Teams like Vegas are the real benchmark. But those games are rare and we can just say “eh it was a road trip”, “they were tired” lalala.

Exactly why the benchmark is the playoffs and playing a good defensive opponent. The ebb and flow of the regular season can make any game look amazing while another looks like crap. We dont know whats going on individually player to player on a night to night basis. A back to back could affect one of them more than another. The whole team can get gassed easily in a long season or close amount of games. Regular season wont be as fun as it has been in the past, but its been nice seeing hockey again. It will get boring again in late December and into Jan/Feb.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Win ... crickets.

hardly crickets...I give all the credit to teh game for answering Stammer's bell. I still do not believe in Cooper but I am happy the team responded.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
hardly crickets...I give all the credit to teh game for answering Stammer's bell. I still do not believe in Cooper but I am happy the team responded.

Cooper has some things to prove in the playoffs. Until he does, he deserves some criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad