2019-20 Carabao Cup

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Not unlikely that you will live to regret the last part. Willock and Saka most definately have that potential too, and some people might argue Guendouzi also does ( although I do not think he will be special). Saliba coming back from loan will make you uncomfortable too. Lets see what happens to Smith-Rowe, Nelson, Nketiah, and Tierney, they all probably have more potential than all Liverpool youngsters besides maybe Elliot. Our recent academy results have been the best in England, with a bunch of other key players, so just wait.
Yep every prospect Arsenal has is probably among the best in the world. They’re primed to take the top of English football by storm and eventually win a CL. It is written.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I can see it now. LFC quadruples Kronkes money for Martinelli and Arsenal replaces him internally with back from loan Nkeitah. Because economics

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Yep every prospect Arsenal has is probably among the best in the world. They’re primed to take the top of English football by storm and eventually win a CL. It is written.

Never said that in any way, but to say only Martinelli can be special is just ignorant and wrong. And yes, we probably have the best pool of prospects in world football at the moment.

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
yeah, you really don't.

Every year Arsenal touts their academy products, but who really has made it into their first team? I mean, other than Maitland-Niles, who actually has played any minutes that's an Arsenal product?

I don't know why I bother, because you're bonkers enough to be on Arsenal Fan TV (where they'd laugh you off the video).

In three years time, most of those 'best prospects in the world' will be playing for other clubs.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
yeah, you really don't.

Every year Arsenal touts their academy products, but who really has made it into their first team? I mean, other than Maitland-Niles, who actually has played any minutes that's an Arsenal product?

I don't know why I bother, because you're bonkers enough to be on Arsenal Fan TV (where they'd laugh you off the video).

In three years time, most of those 'best prospects in the world' will be playing for other clubs.
Saka has been starting. Willock as well.

Not that you’re wrong overall.

off the top of my head, Liverpool only has TAA, right? I’m probably forgetting someone though.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Never said that in any way, but to say only Martinelli can be special is just ignorant and wrong. And yes, we probably have the best pool of prospects in world football at the moment.
This being said of course with intimate knowledge of most of the youth academies in the world, surely.

The most interesting thing about your logic to me is that you think all these youth players (I guess 23 and under?) are world beaters in the making, or some of the best prospects in the world, and yet you're blaming Origi and Ox for thwarting them while calling the Liverpool youth players terrible and 'much worse' than yours. If Origi, Ox and Milner (who was pretty bad) are the key pieces, along with a bunch of less than stellar 16-18 year olds, that lead to a dominant performance by the Reds against your group then.......

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
This being said of course with intimate knowledge of most of the youth academies in the world, surely.

The most interesting thing about your logic to me is that you think all these youth players (I guess 23 and under?) are world beaters in the making, or some of the best prospects in the world, and yet you're blaming Origi and Ox for thwarting them while calling the Liverpool youth players terrible and 'much worse' than yours. If Origi, Ox and Milner (who was pretty bad) are the key pieces, along with a bunch of less than stellar 16-18 year olds, that lead to a dominant performance by the Reds against your group then.......

Never said they will all be world beaters, but for what I know, this is one of the best prospect crops a team has had in decades. Many of them did not play, and you are in no position to say they can’t be world beaters after one game in which most of them played well. Basing anything like that of one game is ridiculous. Once again, Liverpool where not dominant at all, we drew and our youngsters outshone yours by far, your youngsters did not do much at all while all of our goals where made because of youngsters. Most of our experienced players where an absolute joke, Holding, Mustafi, Kolasinac, Martinez and Ceballos, and Bellerin was also relatively poor. Youngsters where the reason behind all of our goals and only a couple of yours.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Origi won you a CL. Constantly coming from behind isn’t dominant.

Reactions: S E P H

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland

off the top of my head, Liverpool only has TAA, right? I’m probably forgetting someone though.
I mean, I didn't really include them as they both have what? Less than 20 appearances total?

I'm not really trying to make a Liverpool to Arsenal comparison. I was just responding to the absurdness of the statement that Arsenal have the best prospects in the world. They don't.

I also don't feel Liverpool are really trying to blood and bring in youth players. I don't think they're in a stage where youth is going to be at the forefront of what they're trying to do. Trent got in at the right time, made the spot his, and they've moved forward. But everyone else, probably missed the chance. Klopp says the right things about Brewster, Jones and others, but that's more Pep saying Phil Foden being unsellable than anything else. He can't come out and say, "Sorry youth players, you're not getting into the side". He can't say, "Well, we won the CL, so I think there's zippy chance any of you sniff our starting 11", and keep players around or coming into the academy. Sure, I think they're happy to have kids like Brewster, Jones, Hoever and others. I think they're hopeful that one or two might eventually make it to the first team. But I don't think they plan, expect or really care if they don't. They're setup to do their best to win as many football matches over the next 2 or 3 year periods, and then recharge with some new players. But the reality is, Klopp and Edwards are going to want to go get players who can keep that machine humming more so than restarting.

If anything, Arsenal, who are not anywhere close to winning the EPL or even making hay in the CL, should be in a phase where your TAA comes through. I don't think their academy has a player who is rationally going to play a ton of matches for Arsenal if they did get better and try and reach a portion of where Liverpool is now. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think we'd see more signs of that player showing it for what's a pretty meh Arsenal football team.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Origi won you a CL. Constantly coming from behind isn’t dominant.
Origi was opportunistic and came up big in important moments that helped Liverpool win the CL but the bulk of the work was done by the world class players that surrounded him. He’s a pretty limited player that plays his role quite well. Obviously he would start for Arsenal but thats a different conversation.

Mighty Arsenal with the mightiest academy struck down by the living legend I suppose.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Just Trent, (so far) Brewster was supposed to have a bigger role this season but that hasn’t materialized.

This thing though is even though it is only Trent, Trent is on a much higher level than, for example Willock or Sako. I’d rather have the academy produce one elite, World XI caliber player, then a bunch of nice players that may or may not stick. Granted RB is easier to make a World XI that CM or Forward, but the last Home grown English player to be at that caliber would be who? John Terry? Steven Gerrard? It’s a pretty rare thing. As I said earlier it’s not a measuring contest between academies. Most of these guys won’t stick, but if either team can find a diamond more power to them. I mean we’ve know Chelsea had a great academy for over a decade, but it took them a transfer ban to decide to use it for anything other than sales.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I mean, I didn't really include them as they both have what? Less than 20 appearances total?

I'm not really trying to make a Liverpool to Arsenal comparison. I was just responding to the absurdness of the statement that Arsenal have the best prospects in the world. They don't.

I also don't feel Liverpool are really trying to blood and bring in youth players. I don't think they're in a stage where youth is going to be at the forefront of what they're trying to do. Trent got in at the right time, made the spot his, and they've moved forward. But everyone else, probably missed the chance. Klopp says the right things about Brewster, Jones and others, but that's more Pep saying Phil Foden being unsellable than anything else. He can't come out and say, "Sorry youth players, you're not getting into the side". He can't say, "Well, we won the CL, so I think there's zippy chance any of you sniff our starting 11", and keep players around or coming into the academy. Sure, I think they're happy to have kids like Brewster, Jones, Hoever and others. I think they're hopeful that one or two might eventually make it to the first team. But I don't think they plan, expect or really care if they don't. They're setup to do their best to win as many football matches over the next 2 or 3 year periods, and then recharge with some new players. But the reality is, Klopp and Edwards are going to want to go get players who can keep that machine humming more so than restarting.

If anything, Arsenal, who are not anywhere close to winning the EPL or even making hay in the CL, should be in a phase where your TAA comes through. I don't think their academy has a player who is rationally going to play a ton of matches for Arsenal if they did get better and try and reach a portion of where Liverpool is now. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think we'd see more signs of that player showing it for what's a pretty meh Arsenal football team.
I mean Saka just turned 18 and Willock is 20. They shouldn’t have a ton of appearances.

And I wasn’t trying to make a comparison other than many teams get their youth from other places.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
This thing though is even though it is only Trent, Trent is on a much higher level than, for example Willock or Sako.
I mean, let’s let Saka grow a few years before we make definitive statements. In the comparable season, TAA made 7 league appearances. Agree with the producing high end talent being more impressive.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's funny how Liverpool fans didn't care about this match.
I never pretended not to care. I always wanted to win and hope they keep winning in this competition. Though I can see why the ones who didn’t care were drawn in by some of the Arsenal fans spouting nonsense above (which my hyperbole is in response to, fwiw).

Reactions: bluesfan94

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

Nelson had the second best Bundesliga goals per minute ratio last year as an 18/19 year old. Martinelli has the most goals by a teenager in the top 5 leagues of Europe. Saliba was called Saint Etiennes best player by their manager, Claude Puel. Guendouzi has been called up to the french first team at 20. Willock has been impressing almost every time he has played, and scored 4 goals from midfield this season. Nketiah averages a goal every 88 minutes in the Championship as a 20 year old. Saka was the first 2001 born player to play in the Premier League, and he had a goal and two assists away to Frankfurt. These accomplishments ceirtainly indicate extremely special talents, but YNWA14 is not educated enough on these players to see that.

This is without mentioning the accomplishments of Smith-Rowe, Balogun, John-Jules and more.

Name me one other club in the world with Arsenals prospect depth, none comes close besides maybe Ajax. How on earth am I making a ridiculous claim? Back that up with evidence please.

There can of course be other great academies and prospects pools, but I have not seen anything like this in England as far as I can remember, and Arsenal prospects are more common than all others on the prospect lists I have seen. I might be wrong but I can’t see why you write them off despite these amazing accomplishments.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Every year Arsenal touts their academy products, but who really has made it into their first team
Lol what? Our academy was in one of the worst shapes for a big club in all of Europe like three seasons ago. Nobody has ever touted our youth system until recently when new front office staff with Sven actually decided to put in the time and effort.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Lol what? Our academy was in one of the worst shapes for a big club in all of Europe like three seasons ago. Nobody has ever touted our youth system until recently when new front office staff with Sven actually decided to put in the time and effort.
To be fair, I do remember people being high on Gnabry and Zelalem, although I think some of the Zelalem hype was that he was American. Gnabry has proven worth the hype and Zelalem was constantly injured and never developed.

But every big club's youth gets hyped. I remember the hype around Ibe, Ojo, Markovic, Januzaj, Kenedy, Patrick Roberts, N'Koudou, Onomah, etc.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
To be fair, I do remember people being high on Gnabry and Zelalem, although I think some of the Zelalem hype was that he was American. Gnabry has proven worth the hype and Zelalem was constantly injured and never developed.

But every big club's youth gets hyped. I remember the hype around Ibe, Ojo, Markovic, Januzaj, Kenedy, Patrick Roberts, N'Koudou, Onomah, etc.
Good point, but as you said Gnarby has developed and Reine-Adelaide is looking to be a fantastic player for the future as well.

Don't forget about Deulofeu who was supposed to the next generational Espana player.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Good point, but as you said Gnarby has developed and Reine-Adelaide is looking to be a fantastic player for the future as well.

Don't forget about Deulofeu who was supposed to the next generational Espana player.
Yeah, I focused on top 6 EPL clubs there, but there have been plenty of other examples across the leagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad