Prospect Info: 2019-20 Binghamton Devils and ECHL talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Binghamton seems to be loading up on AHL depth especially on the backend which is good to see. Hopefully they can put together an above average D group after it’s been horrendous of late.

Devils seem to also be leaving a lot of contract spots open as well signing guys to AHL deals instead.

Wonder if that means anything.

I don't think so. The Devils are past the days of acquiring dead contracts. They have 2 collegians who might leave school early in Talvitie and Walsh, but other than that there's not anything they need to save space for. I could see them signing a UDFA like they've done with Groleau and Sissons.

Also once Paliotta suits up for Binghamton that will make 7 organizations in 7 seasons for him. It seems almost impossible to do that.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
RHD. Binghamton needed one. I wonder why they went with Paliotta, though. Someone like Ryan Sproul is still available.

Paliotta will probably spend a lot of time in the AHL.
Fitzgerald said he wants to assign more players to Adirondack. Paliotta hasn't played a full AHL season since his rookie season four years ago. If not Sproul, I like Matt Mangene, Chris Casto, or Jordan Subban for the right side.

Reactions: Classic Devil

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Fitzgerald said he wants to assign more players to Adirondack. Paliotta hasn't played a full AHL season since his rookie season four years ago. If not Sproul, I like Matt Mangene, Chris Casto, or Jordan Subban for the right side.
We needed better organizational depth from top to bottom. We don't want injuries at one level to devastate the other two.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Assuming McLeod, Anderson, Bastian, Seney and Rooney don't make the big club; what does the forward lineup look like down in Bing this year?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Assuming McLeod, Anderson, Bastian, Seney and Rooney don't make the big club; what does the forward lineup look like down in Bing this year?

Rooney is on a one-way (and older) so good chance he makes the team as the extra forward. Posted this about a month ago:

Gignac - McLeod - Bastian
Seney - Street - Studenic
Sharangovich - Maltsev - Anderson
Baddock - Speers - Zetterlund
Larsson (AHL) - Schmelzer (AHL) - Popugayev (AHL)

Sissons - Jacobs
Strait - Tennyson
White - Mermis
Groleau

Add Conner and Nazarian at forward. Remove Strait and add Paliotta and Melchiori on D and you have a rough line-up.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Rooney is on a one-way (and older) so good chance he makes the team as the extra forward. Posted this about a month ago:

Gignac - McLeod - Bastian
Seney - Street - Studenic
Sharangovich - Maltsev - Anderson
Baddock - Speers - Zetterlund
Larsson (AHL) - Schmelzer (AHL) - Popugayev (AHL)

Sissons - Jacobs
Strait - Tennyson
White - Mermis
Groleau

Add Conner and Nazarian at forward. Remove Strait and add Paliotta and Melchiori on D and you have a rough line-up.
Why do I have so little faith in the D?
I also presume we'll find a way to wedge Popugayev into the starting lineup somewhere.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Run of the mill grenade handler that can’t do much of anything.

The current White reminded me of the new Seth Helgeson. But he did only play 3 games in the NHL. I just remember he looked particularly poor.

Jacobs is better than that.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
My top two lines would be Gignac McLeod and Bastian and then Studenic Seney Anderson. I'd hope that Zetterlund is 100% physically and mentally at some point this season and can be fairly evaluated only after that happens.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Speers will probably never be an nhl player at this point, right?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Speers will probably never be an nhl player at this point, right?
Frankly, I don't think it would have been that much of a surprise if he didn't start that first season up with the big club, and the decision to keep him here STILL miffs me.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Preseason in NJ, between the depth at fwd, and the solid play of the 2nd tier young guys, has been encouraging for Bing's prospects. At least at fwd.

McLeod, Bastian, Maltsev, Seney, throw Baddock in there. Does Rooney get squeezed by Boqvist Hayden and the 8 d-men?

While a lot of these guys were a part of last years mess in Bing, they fact that they have another year of pro experience under their belt, a bunch of them with NHL experience, will be beneficial.

Very good size too, especially when you factor in Pop's and Sharangovich. That is a lot of big boys.

Now the D is certainly a question mark, hopefully White and Jacobs can stabilize that a bit. And the young goalies will need to be better then what Bing got from that position last year, but the forwards corps is looking like they will benefit from the organizational depth that Shero has been trying to build.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
What I’d actually like to do is look for one more [defenseman], most likely an American league, two-way type guy so we have nine. I feel comfortable with nine because we’ve got eight in New Jersey and we have to decide what to do with Ty Smith. The depth and the competition are exactly what our culture is and we didn’t have the competition last year because we didn’t have the bodies and this year we do. I think it’s going to make an immense difference for our coaching staff and in that locker room and it’s going to make a big difference on the ice with the results.

Q & A WITH BINGHAMTON GM, TOM FITZGERALD | Binghamton Devils

Reactions: devilsblood

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
What I’d actually like to do is look for one more [defenseman], most likely an American league, two-way type guy so we have nine. I feel comfortable with nine because we’ve got eight in New Jersey and we have to decide what to do with Ty Smith. The depth and the competition are exactly what our culture is and we didn’t have the competition last year because we didn’t have the bodies and this year we do. I think it’s going to make an immense difference for our coaching staff and in that locker room and it’s going to make a big difference on the ice with the results.

Q & A WITH BINGHAMTON GM, TOM FITZGERALD | Binghamton Devils
I'm glad. I've been wanting another defenseman for Binghamton. There are some good options out there.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Assigned to Binghamton were:

Goaltenders: Evan Cormier and Gilles Senn

Defensemen: Michael Paliotta, Colby Sissons and Colton White

Forwards: Joey Anderson, Brandon Gignac, Ludvig Larsson, Mikhail Maltsev, Nikita Popugaev, Ryan Schmelzer, Brett Seney, Yegor Sharangovich, Blake Speers, Marian Studenic and Fabian Zetterlund

Additionally, the club placed the following players on waivers and they will be assigned to Binghamton pending them clearing tomorrow at noon:

Forwards: Brandon Baddock and Ben Street
Defensemen: Josh Jacobs and Dakota Mermis

Previously assigned to Binghamton:

Goaltender: Eamon McAdam

AHL Forwards not invited to NHL camp:

Chris Conner
Ara Nazarian

Injured Defensemen: Jeremy Groleau, Julian Melchiori

Notably missing from the Injured Defensemen: Brain Strait

About time for that AHL two-way D type guy Fitz wants.

Reactions: Classic Devil

gsg

Sep 23, 2019
Do you guys think Groleau could be return to his major junior team due to his injury ? He would be the #1 defenseman in a team that want to win it all this year. Could be good for his development...

Last edited:

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Assigned to Binghamton were:

Goaltenders: Evan Cormier and Gilles Senn

Defensemen: Michael Paliotta, Colby Sissons and Colton White

Forwards: Joey Anderson, Brandon Gignac, Ludvig Larsson, Mikhail Maltsev, Nikita Popugaev, Ryan Schmelzer, Brett Seney, Yegor Sharangovich, Blake Speers, Marian Studenic and Fabian Zetterlund

Additionally, the club placed the following players on waivers and they will be assigned to Binghamton pending them clearing tomorrow at noon:

Forwards: Brandon Baddock and Ben Street
Defensemen: Josh Jacobs and Dakota Mermis

Previously assigned to Binghamton:

Goaltender: Eamon McAdam

AHL Forwards not invited to NHL camp:

Chris Conner
Ara Nazarian

Injured Defensemen: Jeremy Groleau, Julian Melchiori

Notably missing from the Injured Defensemen: Brain Strait

About time for that AHL two-way D type guy Fitz wants.
So many players. And they'll be getting Tennyson and a few more forwards.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ

BINGHAMTON – The Binghamton Devils have released their training camp roster which is set to beging tomorrow, September 24 at Floyd L Maines Veterans Memorial Arena. The 31-man roster will feature 18 forwards, nine defensemen, and four goaltenders.
Roster
# Pos. Name
1 G Evan Cormier
2 D Michael Paliotta
3 D Kevin Lohan
4 D Michael Sdao
5 D Colby Sissons
6 D Colton White
8 D Josh Jacobs
10 C Ben Street
11 C Brett Seney
12 LW Ryan Walker