Speculation: 2019-20 Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion Part IIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Starting to wonder if there are any teams we can help out cap wise in order to accumulate a few more draft picks. The retool has become a rebuild imo. The talent just isn't there yet. Still have high hopes for Steel, Terry and Comtois, but unsure when they'll become regular contributors.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
We're at a low point for my optimism right now. I just don't see how you get from this point to a championship-contending team without a mostly different set of players.

Before I moved to SoCal, I was born and raised a fan of a different team that was stuck in the duldrums for a long time. We'd always have a handful of young guys we were excited about, some of whom turned into decent players and some of whom didn't, but none of whom were ever difference makers. It wasn't until the draft gods smiled and we got a few truly elite talents that it became obvious how big the gap was between those guys and what we had placed our hopes on in the past. All this "man, we are getting shots, if we could just get some bounces and rebounds we could get 3 goals a game" vibe is very familiar. OK, maybe Terry puts it together and stops disappearing for long stretches and becomes an even-later-blooming Rakell. Congratulations. So what? So you can finish third in the Pacific instead of fifth?

Steel is pointless is every since of the word. Getzlaf is our best forward by default but has to carefully ration out his effort. Kase's advanced stats glory has disappeared along with his actual production. Rakell is turning into another Silfverberg: a decent, nothing-special all-arounder who is a 2nd-liner on bad teams and a third-liner on good ones. I really wish we had traded Henrique before the extension kicked in.

I'd be totally OK with trading some of our mid-20s, good contract guys this season, because I don't think we're gonna need them next season and they are only gonna depreciate in value as they age and run out of contract: Kase, Rakell, Ritchie.
100% this despite the fact that people here thinking tanking will lead us to being bad for 10 years. The irony is the opposite happens. If you stay middle of the pack and never get any elite talent you just sink further and further and before you know it you are bad for 10 years. The teams that suck for 10 years dont suck because of tanking whatsoever. They suck because they cant draft, develop, and make bad fa signings.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I'm still not OK with blatant, intentional tanking. But I think we might be getting tank-like results in our near future without it.
When I say tank I mean trading older players for futures, which hurts the team and causes us to fall in standings. Like Rico and Silf for example. We have some nice young talent in the system, just need more of it and some high end pieces and that is mostly likely only going to come from drafting at the top of the draft.

Reactions: KyleJRM

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
14 points in 25 games for Lindholm. If he didn't get hurt this year he would be having a breakout year. He was getting assists before he got hurt, then slowed down when he returned.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I actually don’t think he’s been as good offensively as his numbers indicate. A lot of his early points were fluky secondary assists where he just happened to touch the puck on a routine play leading to a goal.

he’s been better offensively of late though. Defensively he’s been a beast most of the year but he’s currently stuck with an absolute anchor of a partner in Manson who is causing seemingly a goal against a game at the moment.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
I actually don’t think he’s been as good offensively as his numbers indicate. A lot of his early points were fluky secondary assists where he just happened to touch the puck on a routine play leading to a goal.

he’s been better offensively of late though. Defensively he’s been a beast most of the year but he’s currently stuck with an absolute anchor of a partner in Manson who is causing seemingly a goal against a game at the moment.
pretty much this. he's had a boatload of secondary assists

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
He may have had some lucky secondary assists, but if you watch him he is very much trying to make things happen offensively, much more so than he has tried before. Not to say he will become an offensive juggernaut but if the effort stays the same he could become a 40 point guy. We could use that. I absolutely believe he was trying to pass on that "shot" into the pads that Hazy called a shot. His offensive IQ has picked up IMO.

Reactions: Paul4587

Los Patos de Anaheim

Nov 19, 2016
Idaho, USA
Manson has been bad since they gave him an A. He succeeded at 19 minutes a night in a physical shut down role, he had speed and he had grit. Now he’s slow and immobile. Sort of like Bieksa/Gudbranson (who has looked good).

Reactions: GeraldDucksworth

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Manson’s 37 point year I think made him overestimate his puck moving abilities. He and Lindholm used to work so well because he would get Hampus the puck who would break it out. Now Josh tries to do too much with it at times and ends up making boneheaded plays.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I think we'll see Manson improve, but it's going to be a longer transition than Lindholm or Fowler. Up and down the blue line, everyone struggled to a certain extent under Carlyle. I'd wait a few months to see if Eakins can get him back to being the Manson that we had under Boudreau.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
I think we'll see Manson improve, but it's going to be a longer transition than Lindholm or Fowler. Up and down the blue line, everyone struggled to a certain extent under Carlyle. I'd wait a few months to see if Eakins can get him back to being the Manson that we had under Boudreau.
Manson's career season was under Carlyle
Manson became worn down because he was the only physical dman and that's because of the crap Murray was signing

Reactions: robbieboy3686

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Manson's career season was under Carlyle
Manson became worn down because he was the only physical dman and that's because of the crap Murray was signing
He's well rested

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Interesting it's Lundy and Jones coming up when there's a RW slot open. One of Steel/Lundy will probably be on the wing if they're both in the lineup. Which is fine. I'm not a fan of Getz babysitting the Ducklings, but we have better options than seeing Shore up with him another game.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Interesting it's Lundy and Jones coming up when there's a RW slot open. One of Steel/Lundy will probably be on the wing if they're both in the lineup. Which is fine. I'm not a fan of Getz babysitting the Ducklings, but we have better options than seeing Shore up with him another game.

Getzlaf has been labouring the past couple games. Wonder if he's getting the night off and that's why Lundestrom is here.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Sprong still serving time.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Getzlaf has been labouring the past couple games. Wonder if he's getting the night off and that's why Lundestrom is here.
Honestly, he should be getting the proposed Kesler treatment from last year (before it was abandoned). I'd be fine with giving him some nights off, especially on a B2B in a downward spiral of a season.

Reactions: KyleJRM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad