2019-20-21 Roster Speculation: Neither on- nor off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If we're in fantasy land i'd rather go after tarasenko than gaudreau
I would also, but I’m not sure why Tarasenko would be available, and Calgary would probably go after Hall, and Johnny would probably become expendable.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Suppose that Krueger is still high on Risto and he will not traded, instead Montour or Miller will leave the team in the offseason. We need to find an LD that can at least average play on the defensive and move the puck so that he plays in tandem with Risto. Does anyone have any idea which LD fits this description? UFA or trade, it doesn't matter.

Dahlin - Montour/Miller
xxxx - Risto
McCabe - Joki

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Suppose that Krueger is still high on Risto and he will not traded, instead Montour or Miller will leave the team in the offseason. We need to find an LD that can at least average play on the defensive and move the puck so that he plays in tandem with Risto. Does anyone have any idea which LD fits this description? UFA or trade, it doesn't matter.

Dahlin - Montour/Miller
xxxx - Risto
McCabe - Joki
Mark Borowieki is an UFA. Him and Risto would make quite a pair. He finished the season on IR with a high ankle sprain.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Now that I think about it... I guess it all depends on timing. If free agency is after the draft, then it would require 2021 draft picks. Not sure if we have our original 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks or not.

EDIT:

Buffalo Sabres Future Draft Pick Status

Per that link I think we traded our 2021 3rd round pick for Vesey.
Who could've possibly seen that this trade would end up terrible for us except anyone who was paying attention?

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Here's a big list of UFA forwards. I included Martin, Weise, Maroon, Clifford, and Boyle because I'm sick of seeing this team get physically abused. When the going gets tough, the tough get going doesn't mean you run away.

Taylor Hall - LW/C
Mikael Granlund - C/RW
Mike Hoffman - RW/LW
Alex Galchenyuk - C/RW/LW
Tyler Toffoli RW/LW
Craig Smith - RW/C
Evgeny Dadonov - RW/LW
Erik Haula C/LW
Vladislav Namestnikov RW/LW/C
Matt Martin - LW/RW
Kyle Clifford - LW
Corey Perry - RW
Melkar Karlsson - RW/C
Dale Weise - RW/LW
Jesper Fast - RW
Derick Brassard - C
Tyler Pitlick - RW
Riley Sheahan - LW/C
Brian Boyle - LW/C
Patrick Maroon - LW/RW
Greg McKegg - LW

Granlund/Haula
Namestnikov
Pitlick
Boyle
Maroon

Olofsson-Jack-Rhino
Skinner-G or H-Namestnikov
MoJo-Boyle-Kahun (flip with above if need be)
Maroon-Larsson-Okposo
Pitlick-Thompson

This is assuming we can’t get Stepan from the Yotes (high cap hit for a year but low salary) or get a combo of the Kid Line from Tampa to help their cap crunches.

I also don’t care if we help Tampa resign Sergachev, Cirelli and/or Cernak. I only wanna see this team fighting for the WC spot as long as possible next year

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I want this team to finally add REAL toughness for the first time this f***ing millennium.

If it means a 4th line that plays 5 minutes a night at ES so be it. Would rather have 3 big, tough, physical bruising bastards who are borderline dirty and hit everything that move.

I am sick of our players getting cheap shotted and nothing happens. I am sick of the Sabres being charmin soft year in and year out. Rasmus Ristolainen should not be your most physical player.

Most of all I want this team to play MAD. I remember in the Boston series in 2010 they were physically bullied and Boston was laughing at us. We then called up Cody McCormick and from the drop of the puck WE were the initiators on physicality and it shocked the Bruins. I want that but for all season.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I don't understand any of this talk of third and fourth round role players until we fill the much bigger holes above them. Before Covid this board seemed to be narrowing in to some agreement the priorities are.

1. 2C
2. A second capable goalie
3. 2LD
4. 3C
5. 2RW

Those are the missing components in the group of players that play 90% of the game. Because of the chaos in the organization, it will be near impossible to fill any of these through free agency without offering a really bad contract. Maybe the second goalie can be had because of the duck duck goose numbers game. SO....get yourself ready to be active in the trade market, which means prepare to part with real assets. I'll make individual posts on more specifics.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Defense. Need your top 4. 5-7 are role players and can be filled any year from a myriad of sources. You also need to have a couple of them in the 1-7 that are defensive studs to play the PK. We are missing that.

Keep Dahlin and Joker. Both young, cost controlled long-term top 4 defenseman. So 1LD and 1 RD set.

Montour could be your 2RD if you have him paired with the right 2LD, but we don't have that person on the roster, so Montour and his next contract are on the trade block.

Risto, McCabe and Miller are both flawed enough that they are better slotted as good third pairing role players, veteran enough to move up the lineup in a pinch. All are overpaid for that role and should be on the trade block, but don't expect them to bring you any real value on their own. The Sabres are going to have to do some quantity for quality trades.

Pilut ran for greener pastures (don't blame him.) He's a top pairing AHL player, but a third pairing NHL player. He would have fit that role cost wise as well. Tender him and.......

We have several developing defenseman that will need some NHL 5-7 position time. Start giving it to them.

In, short, I would be using the majority of this defense core as trade value to fill more pressing needs and free up misplaced salary cap.

Reactions: brian_griffin

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
One capfriendly proposal from a CGY fan was 2 2nds, Bennett, and Colton Poolman for Risto.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
One capfriendly proposal from a CGY fan was 2 2nds, Bennett, and Colton Poolman for Risto.

Nothing about that is interesting. Bennett is a nothing special bottom 6 winger, Poolman is a nothing 'prospect,' and the 2nds, at best, might be players 4-5 years from now. There's absolutely nothing there that does anything to make the Sabres better.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Only if we do not trade them to help forward.

Then cut out the middle man and just trade a D for a F. If you make that trade and another doesn't materialize, you've just dumped Risto for a handful of air with some meager dreams inside it. We need to be adding pieces that help now.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Then cut out the middle man and just trade a D for a F. If you make that trade and another doesn't materialize, you've just dumped Risto for a handful of air with some meager dreams inside it. We need to be adding pieces that help now.
You can probably negotiate deals in parallel. It’s just that if no one really wants Risto, and Calgary offers two second and Bennett, we can trade Risto in Calgary, and then immediately turn one second and some prospect to Ottawa for Tierney, well, this is an example.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
If we had to trade one (and I think we will), would y’all trade Risto or Montour?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
You can probably negotiate deals in parallel. It’s just that if no one really wants Risto, and Calgary offers two second and Bennett, we can trade Risto in Calgary, and then immediately turn one second and some prospect to Ottawa for Tierney, well, this is an example.

(1) We don't know what the market is for Risto; (2) we do know that it's probably not even relevant because Krueger views him as a core player. Miller and/or Montour are far more likely to be the D packing their bags.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
(1) We don't know what the market is for Risto; (2) we do know that it's probably not even relevant because Krueger views him as a core player. Miller and/or Montour are far more likely to be the D packing their bags.
1. Yeap, we do not know what a market is for Risto.
2. I also agree, but Risto himself can ask for the trade, which he alludes to every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad