2019-20-21 Roster Speculation: Neither on- nor off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
On the flip side, many players focus on winning and culture. Those are two things that the Sabres might have a problem matching offers from other teams.

Personally, given all the uncertainty, I think a wildcard right now is when the SHL starts up and if he signs a one year deal there as opposed to waiting on the big unknown of what is happening in the NHL and how much of a next contract he would have to give back via escrow.

It's definately a balance. If he were to join a successful team, would he be guaranteed the same minutes / role, would he see himself as a potential cap casualty down the road, would his family life be disrupted by moving?

A lot to consider - its not just about who offers most money or how many years the Sabres have missed the playoffs.

Your last point about the European leagues is a really good one that as yet I've not really considered for him & others in his position. I definitely could see this happen for a few players particularly guys who aren't guaranteed prominent NHL roles /salary.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I wonder if what happens to Zemgus and Risto could influence. Seems like they might be a tight trio.

And I while I don't know if he'll be chomping at the bit to play here, he certainly got respected by Ralph with ice time. Only 8 players with fewer pts/60 got more ice time than him.

Last edited:

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
On the flip side, many players focus on winning and culture. Those are two things that the Sabres might have a problem matching offers from other teams.

Personally, given all the uncertainty, I think a wildcard right now is when the SHL starts up and if he signs a one year deal there as opposed to waiting on the big unknown of what is happening in the NHL and how much of a next contract he would have to give back via escrow.

I have no idea what Larry is actually thinking, but a player in a similar role (Jay Beagle) left a Cup winner to play for Vancouver for a pretty significant contract. At the time the Canucks were kind of a joke with Benning at the helm.

Given that Larry battled injuries and his on ice performance was significantly impacted only 2 years ago, I would guess that term would be pretty high on his list. But again, we're all just guessing :dunno:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I'm not as optimistic as Vogl when it comes to the Sabres being able to use their cap space to improve the team.

I have a feeling that the RFAs will soak it all up and we won't get a whole lot of changes.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

I'm not as optimistic as Vogl when it comes to the Sabres being able to use their cap space to improve the team.

I have a feeling that the RFAs will soak it all up and we won't get a whole lot of changes.

For all the criticism he took - people are always blinkered - I've always felt Bott's had this team setup in a good place cap wise going into this offseason.

It looks even better when compared to a certain few other teams...

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
For all the criticism he took - people are always blinkered - I've always felt Bott's had this team setup in a good place cap wise going into this offseason.

It looks even better when compared to a certain few other teams...
Botterill would be re-sign Simmonds and Vesey and again we would have no place in the cap and 2C. :laugh:

Reactions: VaporTrail

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I think it is a bit of a mirage with all the RFAs that are likely to get raises.

Comparatively, it's still better than the majority of teams out there; most are already at or near the cap and have both UFA & RFA contracts to worry about as well. At least the cap space allows us the luxury of roster reshaping options.

Whether or not we take advantage is another issue.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Comparatively, it's still better than the majority of teams out there; most are already at or near the cap and have both UFA & RFA contracts to worry about as well. At least the cap space allows us the luxury of roster reshaping options.

Whether or not we take advantage is another issue.

The challenge is that the Sabres lack trade chips that might be attractive to a team that needs to shed payroll.

As of today, they only have five players signed beyond 20-21. All three forwards fall into a "not going to get traded" bucket for varying reasons.

And who knows what kind of trade value Risto and Miller have.

One interesting trade candidate might be McCabe as he has one year at a reasonable number and then he's a UFA.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
The challenge is that the Sabres lack trade chips that might be attractive to a team that needs to shed payroll.

As of today, they only have five players signed beyond 20-21. All three forwards fall into a "not going to get traded" bucket for varying reasons.

And who knows what kind of trade value Risto and Miller have.

One interesting trade candidate might be McCabe as he has one year at a reasonable number and then he's a UFA.
If teams need to shed payroll and you are one of the only options to shed it, they take what you offer.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
have a feeling if no 2c comes in during the off-season They’re gonna try Kahun at centre and pray he’s the answer

skinner-eichel-cozens
Oloffson-kahun-reinhart

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
You're planning on giving Kahun and Ullmark long term deals?

Olofsson you can make a case for but I'd prefer to see him perform better at 5v5 first.

Montour I'd rather trade than sign long term. His projected salary is higher thanhis performance warrants and we are flush with RHD

Reactions: DJN21

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
You're planning on giving Kahun and Ullmark long term deals?

Olofsson you can make a case for but I'd prefer to see him perform better at 5v5 first.

Montour I'd rather trade than sign long term. His projected salary is higher thanhis performance warrants and we are flush with RHD

Kahun I would give a longer term contract because I think he’s a good player. He’s definitely not a 2-3 year Type of deal guy. He’s for sure not a qualifying offer guy as I believe you should lock down talented players when you can.

Ullmark, I’m not a fan of but you either commit or let him go. Sooner or later Ullmark and his agent are going to get sick of the one-two year deals.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
4 trades to fix the Sabres:

2021 2nd to Arizona for Stepan, Raanta, and Fischer. Bails the Coyotes out for next season so they can re-sign Hall. Sabres get a legit 2/3C on a 1-year deal, a legit starting goalie on a 1-year deal, and a net front presence.

Ristolainen and Asplund to New Jersey for Wood and 2020 1st. New Jersey gets a lower line center who probably isn't getting a shot in Buffalo, and a RHD they reportedly coveted. Sabres get a 1st in a deep draft and a bottom 6 physical presence.

Miller to Anaheim for Max Jones. Anaheim is looking for a RHD who can play on the PP. Sabres get another physical winger with scoring upside.

Montour to Florida for a 2020 2nd and MacKenzie Weegar. Florida gets an mobile RHD. Sabres get Dahlin's partner.

Craig Rivet Loves you lol

Kramdaman

Apr 22, 2014
Trade 1

Casey Middlestadt/ Ryan Johnson/8th Overall/ 2021 2nd for C Dylan Larkin

Blow your wad, hes the perfect answer

Trade 2

Brandon Montour/ Tage Thompson for RW Jesse Pujujarvi/ RD Adam Larrson

Change of struggling prospects and a veteran swede to pair with Dahlin

Trade 3

2nd Round Pick + B Prospect for RW Josh Anderson

Get Bigger/ Tougher/ Can Score

Trade 4

Colin Miller for LW Marcus Foligno

See above Trade

Skinner- Eichel- Pujujarvi
Oloffson- Larkin- Reinhart
Mojo- Kahun- Anderson
Foligno- Lazar- Okposo
Asplund

Dahlin- Larsson
McCabe- Joker
Pilut- Risto

Cozens breaks into the lineup when ready on Eichel's wing or 3C.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Trade 1

Trade 2

Trade 3

Trade 4

See above Trade

Mojo- Kahun- Anderson
Foligno- Lazar- Okposo
Asplund

Dahlin- Larsson
McCabe- Joker
Pilut- Risto

That Larkin trade never happens. I didn't even get to the rest.

Reactions: Club

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Trade 1

Trade 2

Trade 3

Trade 4

See above Trade

Mojo- Kahun- Anderson
Foligno- Lazar- Okposo
Asplund

Dahlin- Larsson
McCabe- Joker
Pilut- Risto

First off Pilut left the Sabres. Secondly, you would get laughed out of the league if any GM would offer that to Yzerman.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I think it is a bit of a mirage with all the RFAs that are likely to get raises.

But first & foremost we have flexibility there. We're not committed to anything. This was created by design make no mistake about it.

Even if you assume we give all the RFAs market value contracts, I still think we are in a better place than most.

The only concerns are Okposo & Skinner.

Okposo is what he is at this point & Skinner while overpaid, I'm confident he will bounce back next year either playing with Jack or playing on a legitimate secondary scoring line.

Kramdaman

Apr 22, 2014
First off Pilut left the Sabres. Secondly, you would get laughed out of the league if any GM would offer that to Yzerman.

I know Pilot went to KHL, was not sure if there was an outon the contract.

Thats fair, I’d offer more for Larkin if needed. Just trying to get creative for a guy with term, especially on a team that needs a full on rebuild.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
You could substitute Larkin for any young center you believe in, just need to make it happen.

There is a point where it becomes too expensive to make a move. With the limited prospect pool (quality and quantity) and draft pick assets Buffalo has, along with the term(3 years left) on Larkin's contract, couple in the fact the trade is IN-Division, and the pieces required to pry Larkin out of Detroit would actually set your team building back (I doubt Detroit is adding ANY draft picks to type of move). You'd leave nothing left in terms of quality to improve in other areas of the team. You'd be forced to either pay out of the nose for free agents, or you'd be mortgaging the future pretty bad to attempt to make your team competitive.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Been sick for a bit and had some time to think through some stuff. I don’t see a scenario where the Sabres get a legit 2C without moving Reinhart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad