2019-20-21 Roster Speculation: Neither on- nor off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Been sick for a bit and had some time to think through some stuff. I don’t see a scenario where the Sabres get a legit 2C without moving Reinhart.
You're stuck taking cap for short term filler hoping to ride it for a year until Cozens is ready or rolling the dice on a rfa like Strome and overlooking all his short comings.

Personally I like Stepan for cheap, trading cap for a short term fix. If you want to go big roll out these:

Ari
2nd
Fitzgerald
Buf
Raanta
Stepan
Fischer (since D. J is so high on him)

Chi
Hutton
Buf
Saad

Win
Montour
Buf
Copp

Skinner Eichel Reinhart
Oloffson Stepan Saad
Johansson Copp Fischer
Kahun Lazar Okposo
Roustslainen / Thompson

Dahlin Miller
McCabe Risto
Samuelsson Joki
Borgen

Ulmark
Raanta

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
You're stuck taking cap for short term filler hoping to ride it for a year until Cozens is ready or rolling the dice on a rfa like Strome and overlooking all his short comings.

Personally I like Stepan for cheap, trading cap for a short term fix. If you want to go big roll out these:

Ari
2nd
Fitzgerald
Buf
Raanta
Stepan
Fischer (since D. J is so high on him)

Chi
Hutton
Buf
Saad

Win
Montour
Buf
Copp

Skinner Eichel Reinhart
Oloffson Stepan Saad
Johansson Copp Fischer
Kahun Lazar Okposo
Roustslainen / Thompson

Dahlin Miller
McCabe Risto
Samuelsson Joki
Borgen

Ulmark
Raanta

I have a feeling that the Sabres RFAs will cost too much to roll that lineup out.

Reactions: sabresEH

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I can think of some centers who would make the roster instantly better (like Monahan), but it’ll take Reinhart to make that move.

I just don’t see it possible without giving up 8oa, and I’m not sure Adams moves that pick in this year’s draft. 2021 1st is a lot more moveable.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Been sick for a bit and had some time to think through some stuff. I don’t see a scenario where the Sabres get a legit 2C without moving Reinhart.
Moving Reinhart actually solves our 2c problem. Moving him to 2c that is.

Skinner - Eichel - Olofsson

Then fill out the middle 6. You've got Reinhart, Johansson , and Kahun, need 3 more. That would be easier to aquire than a 2c.

Reactions: KeepKane

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Homework assignment, find me a center drafted as the 1st forward taken that never played center full-time in the NHL? I'm sure there is someone.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Homework assignment, find me a center drafted as the 1st forward taken that never played center full-time in the NHL? I'm sure there is someone.
I'm looking and I'm all the way into the 1990's without finding one. The Sabres are the dumbest organization in the NHL. Reinhart should have been developed as a center. He was a natural center when drafted.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Every once in a while I like to take a step back and remind myself about how the actual season played out.

upload_2020-7-23_12-50-45.png

upload_2020-7-23_13-7-1.png

Taking a look at the 5 game rolling average of our xGF alongside our forward deployment, there's a few things that pop out:
  1. Despite a hot start, it's obvious that it took ~15-20 games for the players to start coming together under Krueger
  2. Through games 20-40, we really started playing consistently outside of a couple really bad outliers (4-3 loss to Calgary on 12/5, 6-1 loss to Philly on 12/19).
  3. Through this same stretch, it was pretty much historically bad special teams that sunk us in the standings
  4. Our team took its biggest tumble in on-ice performance around game 40. This happens to coincide with the injuries to Skinner & Olofsson.
  5. When Skinner & VO returned, the team also started to rebound, which happened to coincide with our positive little run up to the trade deadline - it should be noted that this was also against some easy competition.
  6. Then we took our 2nd biggest tumble in on-ice performance around game 60, which happened to coincide with Jack's injury (you can tell because Sam is shown at the center position since he was taking draws in those games).
It's quite interesting how impactful Skinner was to team performance despite the down year. Once him and VO went down the entire team took a nose-dive, and it was mostly because our scoring completely dried up. The xGA stayed pretty consistent throughout the time they were out.

I've seen A LOT of extreme roster make-overs, and maybe it's just a glass is half full moment for me, but don't think we're that far away from building something. Sign Larry, acquire one or two extra middle 6 pieces to both insulate us against injuries and push our potential a bit higher, and fix the special teams.

Last thought - the oft-mentioned Montour for Copp trade checks both the center, mid-6 piece, and PK boxes on the to do list.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I don’t think it will be. Krueger could’ve just played him there.

Or Housley, or Bylsma....

This is a logical argument you will never win with some ppl.

I agree with you as regards 2C acquisition.

It will cost 8OV if we are lucky.

Using your example though - I'd have no problem giving up Reinhart for Monahan.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

KeepKane

May 6, 2015
Moving Reinhart actually solves our 2c problem. Moving him to 2c that is.

Skinner - Eichel - Olofsson

Then fill out the middle 6. You've got Reinhart, Johansson , and Kahun, need 3 more. That would be easier to aquire than a 2c.

This is exactly my thought as well. Don't over think it and sell everything to try and find a 2C. Move Reinhart to C. He can more than handle it defensively.

Use the excess RHD(Montour/Miller) to trade for a RW (or assets to flip for a top 6/9 RW) to use in top 6/9. Re-sign Larson. Sign a vet LHD to help anchor PK and handle tougher matchups. Eichel is good enough to carry his line. Reinhart and Skinner can carry another line. If we get a decent RW everyone slides down 1 line.

I still feel that Thompson could be exactly what we need on Jack's RW. He has an excellent shot and Jack does not need much room to work . He added the weight now he just needs to show that he has the foot speed to keep up. I remember he had a few games on Jack's wing two years ago but it was right after Jack came back from high ankle sprain and wasn't close to 100%. His reach on the fore-check should cause havoc with Jack sitting back picking off passes.

Bottom line is I'm certainly not going to hold my breath waiting for Tage to arrive but I believe its easier to find a winger on that line to replace Reinhart than it is to find our next all-around 2C. You can still bring them all together on PP1

Olofsson- Eichel- (trade/Thompson)
Skinner- Reinhart- Johansson/trade)
Kahun-Larson-Okposo
Lazar/Mitts/Cozens/Ruotsalainen/ UFAs

Dahlin- Joker
McCabe- Risto
Vet D- Miller

Reactions: sabremike

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Stepan for Johanssen is my favorite idea right now. It's a bandaid fix, we can deploy him in higher ozone starts than he got in ARI. We don't take on that much cap. It's the kind of low risk move I am expecting this summer.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

So you'd rather downgrade on both sides of the puck than play a player at his natural position? I guess that's par for the course with this franchise.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Except they did try him at center at different points, but Reinhart was too productive with Eichel and ROR at those times so they kept him at wing. The best time to move Sam at center was post-ROR trade as he was finally established in the NHL (unlike when he was under Bylsma) and they should've moved him to center and let him develop his game further there. The season sure as hell didn't mean much to the organization and this was at a time where they had plenty of wingers to try with Sam, but apparently rushing the development of Mittelstadt in a role he wasn't close to being ready for was far more important and only option they were interested in.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Stepan for Johanssen is my favorite idea right now. It's a bandaid fix, we can deploy him in higher ozone starts than he got in ARI. We don't take on that much cap. It's the kind of low risk move I am expecting this summer.

With Arizona's current cap situation, I wouldn't be surprised if they try and clear more cap space than that in a Stepan deal.

But, who knows how successful they will be in finding takers for guys like Stepan and Raanta if they want to move them.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I’ve looked at this for a few weeks. I think Adams with do something like Montour for Copp, bails Arizona our and get Stepan for a year, and sign a LHD.

Montour for Copp

2021 2nd, Hutton for Stepan, Raanta, Fischer

Sign Edmundson

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Johansson - Stepan - Olofsson
Kahun - Copp - Fischer
Thompson - Larsson - Cozens
x Okposo, Lazar

Dahlin - Miller
McCabe - Ristolainen
Edmundson - Jokiharju
x Borgen

Raanta, Ullmark

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I’ve looked at this for a few weeks. I think Adams with do something like Montour for Copp, bails Arizona our and get Stepan for a year, and sign a LHD.

Montour for Copp

2021 2nd, Hutton for Stepan, Raanta, Fischer

Sign Edmundson

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Johansson - Stepan - Olofsson
Kahun - Copp - Fischer
Thompson - Larsson - Cozens
x Okposo, Lazar

Dahlin - Miller
McCabe - Ristolainen
Edmundson - Jokiharju
x Borgen

Raanta, Ullmark
No one has worked harder to get a single player on the Sabres then you have with Fischer:D

Reactions: jc17 and Der Jaeger

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
A couple of days ago in some thread, I saw a comment from an Arizona fan that many forwards who come to their team or have already been in the team just start to produce worse, and almost all, apparently, this is due to the coach system. So I would take a serious look at their players for trading.

Reactions: sabremike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad