• SWITZERLAND

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BELARUS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Fortunately the dismantling of Denmark means it's unlikely that the US finishes 4th in the group, but after this loss to Slovakia, a 3rd place finish seems not only possible, but perhaps likely. They're going to need to beat Canada tomorrow in the outdoor game if they want any chance at avoiding Russia or the Czech Republic in the first round of the elimination tournament.

You have to think the US was looking ahead to the outdoor game tomorrow.
Maybe their team isn't as good as you think it is. I was a but surprised to see them lose especially after Canada just beat the same team convincingly.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Unbelievable how much complaining there is in the neutral board gdt

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Fun win, but pretty much inconsequential. They needed to win in regulation to have a shot at the #1 seed in the group. The US will still face one of the Czechs or Russians* in the first round of the elimination tournament, most likely. Really fun comeback, but the US needs to be better if they want to defend gold. Nobody on the backend can even begin to fill the hole that McAvoy left.

*The Russians have medalled in each of the past 7 tournaments, and only failed to medal 4 total times since the fall of the Soviet Union. You really don't want to draw them in the first round

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Should be getting used to it by now, yeah?
For some reason Canada has had trouble with the US in junior. No problems against the US at other levels. What cost Canada was the 5 penalties in a row. Canada will still finish first in the pool.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
For some reason Canada has had trouble with the US in junior. No problems against the US at other levels. What cost Canada was the 5 penalties in a row. Canada will still finish first in the pool.

Yeah, of course, it was just some good-natured chop busting. Penalties hurt Canada, but objectively I thought the US was the better team tonight. They outshot Canada 35-22 and looked faster and more dangerous during the final half of the game that I saw. Granted, some of that was likely due to score effects and the US playing with a bit of desperation, but ultimately I thought the final score was fitting of how the game flowed. I also thought Canada was lucky to get away with just a 2-minute call on that boarding penalty.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Yeah, of course, it was just some good-natured chop busting. Penalties hurt Canada, but objectively I thought the US was the better team tonight. They outshot Canada 35-22 and looked faster and more dangerous during the final half of the game that I saw. Granted, some of that was likely due to score effects and the US playing with a bit of desperation, but ultimately I thought the final score was fitting of how the game flowed. I also thought Canada was lucky to get away with just a 2-minute call on that boarding penalty.
I thought that boarding should have been 5 minutes as well but I thought the US got away with a lot. Once Canada was up 2-0 the officials called 5 straight on Canada. When the US had the 5 on 3. That whole situation started with an American player crosschecking a Canadian player in the face right in front of the ref. And Canada got 2 penalties. That was the turning point in that game.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Can't say I've ever cheered for Canada. The way they think they are so much better at all things hockey makes me root against them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad