Prospect Info: 2018 WJC Thread - Alexeyev (RUS), Fehérváry (SVK), Geisser (SUI)

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Lujo strategically flies under the radar to not go to Seattle. They will probably take one of Caps dmen similar to what Vegas did so the more D Hershey will groom the better.

Z-Bow are in danger.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Lujo strategically flies under the radar to not go to Seattle. They will probably take one of Caps dmen similar to what Vegas did so the more D Hershey will groom the better.

Z-Bow are in danger.

A lot of us are banking on the Oshie-Seattle connection being too much to pass up. Would be a storybook way for Oshie to move on from his career. Depending on how cut throat the Seattle GM is, the Caps may have to pay a pick or prospect to make it happen, though. Especially if they want to run 7-3-1 again and keep Djoos and/or Bowey out of Seattle's sights.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

Meaning Geisser won't participate.

He scored the 2nd goal today in the upset over Sweden

Z-Bow are in danger.
I bet they protect Backstrom, Kuzy, Wilson, Vrana, Carlson, Bowey, Orlov, then are sneaky with Ovy and let him go UFA, then whoever else looks good the next 2.5 years.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I think eventually (within a season) one of our young left D is gonna have to be send out. There is just too many of them within the same age group and there is one spot open in the Caps line up and on the 3rd pair at that.

I hope Caps drafting choices land on some forwards this year. They are very strict with 'best player available' strategy and successful with it so I wouldn't mess with it. Still, would be nice.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
One could say Team Canada was...a flop.

I normally don't root against kids - because these WJC players are just that, kids - but I was actively rooting against Canada and specifically Comtois after the 14-0 game. Their celebrations as a team were way over the top for a team that should have acted like they've been there before playing against a clearly overmatched Denmark squad and Comtois is pretty easily the least likable player I've ever watched in that tournament. His antics were a disgrace and Canada bombing out in embarrassing fashion was a just reward.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I normally don't root against kids - because these WJC players are just that, kids - but I was actively rooting against Canada and specifically Comtois after the 14-0 game. Their celebrations as a team were way over the top for a team that should have acted like they've been there before playing against a clearly overmatched Denmark squad and Comtois is pretty easily the least likable player I've ever watched in that tournament. His antics were a disgrace and Canada bombing out in embarrassing fashion was a just reward.

Kind of surprised Canada didn't have anyone more suitable for a leadership role. Comtois does a lot of small but very dis-likable things on the ice. You have to be a way better player to get away with it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The Swiss and the Finns advancing further than the Canadians or Swedes is a real shocker to me. Would not have guessed that before the tournament.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
The Swiss and the Finns advancing further than the Canadians or Swedes is a real shocker to me. Would not have guessed that before the tournament.

Yeah, neither would have Canada or Sweden :laugh:

Canada got humbled hard. Honestly, not the most impressive assembly of talent. No shortage of attitude, though.

Reactions: calicapsfan

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I thought the announcers were very complimentary of Fehervary. Was one thing to hear that in the Russia game, but I heard his name multiple times in the USA broadcast as well before his game had even started. Mentioned among the tournament's elite offensive options on a PP and one or two other times.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Looking like two damn good picks from what I've seen so far. I was full on WTF at the Fehervary pick but not looking bad now. The AA pick didn't upset me much just wanted some offense in the system but I guess you can never have too many good defenders. At worst having multiple 1st rounders in the system makes good bluechip trade prospects. Johansen is doing fine btw besides the injuries(seen some posts questioning this), I've seen all of his games this year. The teams a f***ing disaster from the bench on out. He still looks smooth as hell, collected and does the best he can to cover for a flawed team and terrible system. Hershey needs torn down at the end of the year again unfortunately. The whole coaching staff is trash and they need to float some of the less talented kids to the ECHL and replace them with vets next year so the more high end prospects can learn what it's like to win. No reason to have a bunch of middle of the road guys in the AHL when there's a slim chance they make the cut in the NHL as it is. A lot of our core spent time in Hershey winning and competing for championships. That's what made them who they are. Ice time is valuable but so is a culture of winning.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Canada got outplayed by Finns, plain and simple. Finns controlled the play for the majority of the game, DiPietro was keeping canadians in it. Both finns' goals looked like the most fitting outcome after all the bad luck they had on multiple scoring chances. Canada looked very mediocre this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad