Prospect Info: 2018 WJC Thread - Alexeyev (RUS), Fehérváry (SVK), Geisser (SUI)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Looking like two damn good picks from what I've seen so far. I was full on WTF at the Fehervary pick but not looking bad now. The AA pick didn't upset me much just wanted some offense in the system but I guess you can never have too many good defenders. At worst having multiple 1st rounders in the system makes good bluechip trade prospects. Johansen is doing fine btw besides the injuries(seen some posts questioning this), I've seen all of his games this year. The teams a ****ing disaster from the bench on out. He still looks smooth as hell, collected and does the best he can to cover for a flawed team and terrible system. Hershey needs torn down at the end of the year again unfortunately. The whole coaching staff is trash and they need to float some of the less talented kids to the ECHL and replace them with vets next year so the more high end prospects can learn what it's like to win. No reason to have a bunch of middle of the road guys in the AHL when there's a slim chance they make the cut in the NHL as it is. A lot of our core spent time in Hershey winning and competing for championships. That's what made them who they are. Ice time is valuable but so is a culture of winning.

Whats wrong with the coaching? Arent they playing Reirden's systems down there as well? Or is that not the case?

I honestly have no idea...I'm not asking to question your take. I'm certain its accurate. I just dont get the disconnect...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Canada got outplayed by Finns, plain and simple. Finns controlled the play for the majority of the game, DiPietro was keeping canadians in it. Both finns' goals looked like the most fitting outcome after all the bad luck they had on multiple scoring chances. Canada looked very mediocre this year.
Finns had more puck possession, but I thought Canada had more grade A+ chances, especially in the third. They just failed to convert on their high grade opportunities. Comtois' penalty shot and the broken stick in OT both being prime examples (and highly memorable).

DiPietro definitely was Canada's best player, and definitely kept them in the game early on.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Finns had more puck possession, but I thought Canada had more grade A+ chances, especially in the third. They just failed to convert on their high grade opportunities. Comtois' penalty shot and the broken stick in OT both being prime examples (and highly memorable).

DiPietro definitely was Canada's best player, and definitely kept them in the game early on.
Finns had a couple of 2-on-1s and a two or three semi breakaways when they failed to execute. Opportunities were there, execution wasn't. Hockey gods rewarded them for consistency and persistense. Canada was on their heels for most of the game, their best chances materialized from an occasional good shifts when they were able to maintain control of the puck.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Alexeyev looks so calm with the puck, really impressed.

Kirill Slepets looks good early on. Really slick hands. Undrafted player, if i saw correctly.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Should have stayed quiet. Alexeyev having a rough 2nd and 3rd period.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
AA plays the left side in Red Deer, that's his natural side. He's playing RD because all of the Russian D are left shots. Ideally he should be paired with a natural RD.
Ideally, but Caps are running on one JC, aging Niskanen and two RH prospects with questionable future (Bowey and Hobbs). Someone will have to play right side (as Djoos did in Cup run) while being left handed.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Ideally, but Caps are running on one JC, aging Niskanen and two RH prospects with questionable future (Bowey and Hobbs). Someone will have to play right side (as Djoos did in Cup run) while being left handed.

Why do Bowey and Hobbs have questionable future while Alexeyev is stepping right into an NHL lineup? On his off-side, to boot.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
After the last '+1' game vs USA Alex Alexeyev is now second best player of the tournament with +8 (+/-).

- 46% Russian goals where scored then AA was on ice;
- 27% goals against Russia where scored then AA was on ice (two SH goals and one EVS goal);
- 36% of total ice time AA was on ice.

Some of his stats :

GPTOI/GPGAPSPIM
621:042461010
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
EV GFEV GAPP GFPP GASH GFSH GA+/-
712022+8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Should have stayed quiet. Alexeyev having a rough 2nd and 3rd period.

Against the U.S.? I thought he was Russia's best D today.

One season in Hershey at best and he will be ready. He has the size, he has the poise, he just needs coaching on when to jump up and when not to, and he isn't horrible at that really.

Don't want to hear this stuff about "not rushing Dmen" sometimes a kid is actually ready at 21.

I was trying to think of who he reminded me of this tourney, I watched every game he played, and the closest I can come up with is Duncan Keith-lite.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
After the last '+1' game vs USA Alex Alexeyev is now second best player of the tournament with +8 (+/-).

- 46% Russian goals where scored then AA was on ice;
- 27% goals against Russia where scored then AA was on ice (two SH goals and one EVS goal);
- 36% of total ice time AA was on ice.

Some of his stats :

GPTOI/GPGAPSPIM
621:042461010
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
712022+8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Do you have those stats available for Fehervary because it seemed like he was on the ice for 100% of the goals for and 1% of the goals against.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Which one of them looks like future top-4 RD to you?
Its too early to give anyone of them the vote. Alexeyev looks promising but you never know. He might not develope in to the player we think.
I'd rather him play the left side though.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Which one of them looks like future top-4 RD to you?

Hobbs looked like a top-4 D to me in his last season in the WHL.

I'm seen NHL potential in Alexeyev but I certainly don't see anything that screams guaranteed top-4 NHLer, especially if you are penciling him in on the wrong side. There are precious few defensemen in the NHL who have any long term success playing on the off-side.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Martin Fehervary :

- 50% Slovak goals where scored then MF was on ice (4 PP goals and 5 EVS goals);
- 23% goals against Slovakia where scored then MF was on ice;
- 37% of total ice time MF was on ice.

Some stats :

GPTOI/GPGAPSPIM
522:1414572
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
544001+1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
On ice 4.86 GFA 2.7 GAA
Off ice 2.86 GFA 5.4 GAA

Bananas

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Alexander Alexeyev was a big defensive Wall for Russia. Only one EV goal was scored against him. He even managed to give a first assist on one of the two Russian SH goals then he was on the ice. Showed good speed and a hard shot, scored 1.0 PPG. Is the second best D of the tournament with 6 points.

Martin Fehervary was the captain and the leader of Slovakia team's PP. He scored 3 power play points making him the second best D at PP behind M. Anderson also captain of a super productive USA team. MF had a lot of ice time, had only one minor penalty and finished one of the only few Slovak players with a positive +/- stat.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Against the U.S.? I thought he was Russia's best D today.

One season in Hershey at best and he will be ready. He has the size, he has the poise, he just needs coaching on when to jump up and when not to, and he isn't horrible at that really.

Don't want to hear this stuff about "not rushing Dmen" sometimes a kid is actually ready at 21.

I was trying to think of who he reminded me of this tourney, I watched every game he played, and the closest I can come up with is Duncan Keith-lite.

In the first period, sure. In the 2nd he had a bad turnover in his own zone that resulted in Grade A scoring chance and lost his man on the GWG.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
In the first period, sure. In the 2nd he had a bad turnover in his own zone that resulted in Grade A scoring chance and lost his man on the GWG.

It was a PP goal, so really? His mistake wasn't losing his guy it was having his stick on the wrong side of him.

But anyway, I thought he was fantastic, better than I expected from a kid who won't be 19 until Nov. Can't wait to see him on the Caps blueline.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I thought it was one of Alexeyev's weaker games of the tournament. That said, USA pushed Russia out of their comfort zone up until Denisenko scored with their general defensive structure up until then far less composed. Once Russia got on the board they perked up and started attacking in full. I would have liked to see Alexeyev assert himself offensively a little more strongly during those pushes (aside from a few mostly harmless point shots).

Denisenko BTW looks like a player. He seems much better able to create chances for himself than his fellow first rounder linemates and generally had a superior headiness about him in comparison.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
It was a PP goal, so really? His mistake wasn't losing his guy it was having his stick on the wrong side of him.

But anyway, I thought he was fantastic, better than I expected from a kid who won't be 19 until Nov. Can't wait to see him on the Caps blueline.

Absolutely. He let his man come ahead of him, leaving him wide open while Alexeyev was behind him covering no-one, really. In that position you either have to held your ground positionally or at least take the stick away. He did neither and was left behind him covering nobody.

These are kids though and those were just couple of bad plays in an otherwise impressive tournament for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad