Prospect Info: 2018 WJC Thread - Alexeyev (RUS), Fehérváry (SVK), Geisser (SUI)

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Lack of Caps action over this Christmas break has me itching to watch probably the most enjoyable non-Washington hockey until the postseason, the annual World Juniors. Getting some primetime games this year as the tournament is held in BC.

Three Capitals prospects taking part this season, and they're all defensemen who should be the anchors on their respective teams' bluelines.

Alexander Alexeyev, Russia (30th, 2018)
Martin Fehérváry, Slovakia (46th, 2018)
Tobias Geisser, Switzerland (120th, 2017)

Switzerland plays tomorrow at 1 PST, Slovakia plays tomorrow at 3:30 PST. Russia gets started Thursday at 1 PST.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Nice. I love this tournament and can't wait to see our guys play. Also can't wait to see LaFreniere and the Hughes.

From the Athletic on our guys:

Alexander Alexeyev, D, Washington
The Caps’ first-round pick from last summer looks very good this season in Red Deer, as one of the best defensemen in the WHL. He’s a big defender who skates and moves the puck well while also being reliable in his own zone. He can play and looks like he will be a solid pro, but the question on him in talking to scouts is how much offensive potential he has despite his big goal and point totals this season. Can he help Russia’s power play or jumpstart their offense?

Martin Fehervary, D, Washington
Slovakia’s got a weak group this season so Fehervary, a second-round pick by the Caps, will be looked at to carry some significant minutes. He’s a fierce competitor with good two-way sense. The main thing with Fehervary is a question of how much offensive upside he has. He’ll likely get power play time, and it will be interesting to see how he does in that role.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I just noticed Martin Fehervary is the Team Slovakia captain. :thumbu:

He's played very well so far, very noticeable in a good way.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Fehervary had the puck go through him on the 2nd period opening faceoff to give up a breakaway and got called for a penalty shot but in slomo it looked like a good play. Was the focal point of their power play and looked to camp out in the slot there.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Alexeyev called for a penalty where it looked like the Czech dove over AA's stick ... seemed like a weak call.

And Russia scores a shorty on the ensuing PK.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Alexyev has not looked good
...and yet...

His fluidity doesn't look great at times but he's got a really active defensive stick and pretty solid instincts. He had some better offensive action in the third period during 4-on-4 play. He hasn't been as good as the Super Series early on but that was a slower pace and it's still pretty early on.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
...and yet...

His fluidity doesn't look great at times but he's got a really active defensive stick and pretty solid instincts. He had some better offensive action in the third period during 4-on-4 play. He hasn't been as good as the Super Series early on but that was a slower pace and it's still pretty early on.

He also recently came back from an injury, so...

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Alexeyev I think has 3 minors in 2 games, at least 2 were iffy, it’s good the coach still trusts him.

Reactions: shtorm2005

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
...and yet...

Defensively I liked him. As you mentioned active stick but also good at pinning opponents along the boards.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Alexeyev is a very smart player that much is evident. Skill stuff will be taught instincts not so much.

Fehevary has been really good, like I follow prospects a lot and I was not expecting it, good.

They both just turned 19.

Love that the Caps have an alternate captain and a captain represented.

Last edited:

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I don't like the way AA has been used so far. He had the best looks on the PP but then seemingly taken off it. Maybe coach is trying to feel things out but yeah.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Down 4-0 with 10:30 left , down 4-2 with 36 seconds left, USA comes back only to lose in OT to Sweden :(

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
After three games Alexander Alexeyev has 1 G 3 A 4P +6.

With 4 points he is the best scoring D of the tournament. His +6 +/- is fifth best of the tournament with only Brett Leason (C), Barrett Hayton (C), Evan Bouchard (D) and Morgan Frost (C) have +7.

Russia vs Canada tomorrow.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I know many aren't watching but man was Alexeyev good tonight. Uses the body when necessary, smart first pass every time, lots of poise. His work on that final Canadian PP was epic.

Only issue I have so far is his positioning could be better. That will come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->