GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 21 • QF1: CZE (4) - FIN (3) F/SO

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Classic turtle **** counter attack team beat with fluky goals when Finns cant score. Ahokas, Tolvanen, Heponiemi, Kuokkanen, Heiskanen and rest of them all traitors. Next years team gonna be **** have to wait 2 years for next attempt hallelujah

Finland knows all about playing that way so don't complain, they did the exact same thing against Canada in sochi.

Finland has consistently done that when facing far stronger teams over the years in international hockey.

Reactions: Koijari and addu

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
So it's 70 minutes of trying to find who wins. One would think that after that we should have a winner. Nope we should extend it as long as we can because "I feel like it". We should forget leagues like NHL and KHL and just play a few more days because "I feel like it". Who cares about schedules because "I feel like it". Three to four days because "I feel like it".

It's easy to say that they should do this and that. Actually making it happen is difficult. But hey, at least you can have fun criticising it. So, because "I feel like it" people can have fun with that. So you kinda win. You can have that.:nod:

Shame that there are actually things planned year before this tournament. Same in NHL. There's (maybe) a concert at fudge you a'clock, and your flight leaves at this (time). "But why can't we just play till we find a winner". Because we chose this venue for our game/band a year ago, and your flight is leaving in an hour. That's why.

Sorry.. someone should correct my spelling..

-I'm only ever drunk-

Not sure what you are rambling about.

addu

May 6, 2016
Getting blown out is a terrible way to lose a game. In comparison a shootout loss is relatively painless

It depends. Some choose to be Kleopatra with the snakes or Nazis and cyanide, still some want to try and survive.

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori
Only Kähkönen deserves to be mentioned. Vehviläinen deserves zero credit of that gold. Worst goalie Finland has had for the last 15 years in u20. It's funny how things change though and now he's looking pretty good in SM-Liiga.
Someone mentioned that Kähkönen and Vehviläinen now have the two best save% in Finnish league. But they are still playing in Finnish league. Many players from that team play in NHL and in big roles. Well, goalies mature bit later and they are still young who knows what will happen. Vehviläinen is bit short though.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He could have been picked first overall, he is still useless. He is the worst goalie of this tourney and I doubt he impressed anyone within the Buffalo organization.
Agreed completely. Maybe he'll become better, maybe not. But here he was absolute garbage, no way around that.

Kaos Kommando

Dec 11, 2017
Lonelywood
Not sure what you are rambling about.
Actually it's not rambling. But diverting possible conversation by judging is at such.. would be a good way to avoid said conversation. You could call it a "red herring", but it does not fully apply to requirements of this fallacy in question.

Still there was a clear point. You must have missed it?

-Charles Eleventh the Twelfth-

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Happy for the Czechs. But damn if I dont feel sorry for the finns, they played well and deserved to win today. But this is the game of hockey.. sometimes it stinks.

Also.. that interview.. damn. Massive kudos Juuso Välimäki for going through it like he did.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Unbelievable! The Finns must win this Game. Absolutely dominant! Good future for finnish Hockey.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Getting blown out is a terrible way to lose a game. In comparison a shootout loss is relatively painless
You're getting it the wrong way around. It is painful because it is close and could have gone either way. A blowout... there's no question about the better team.

Last edited:

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Why the **** these games are decided by shootouts anyways? I would understand the round robin games, but not these. I'm pissed.
If FIN-CZE game was still going on in its 10th OT, what would Team Canada be doing right now? Because clearly they wouldn't playing against Switzerland in the same arena.

Maybe you now understand.

Reactions: Jablkon

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
You're getting it the wrong way around. It is painful because it is close and could have gone either way. A blowout... there's no question about the better team.

So would you rather win in a shootout than blowout the other team? That's perverse

Kaos Kommando

Dec 11, 2017
Lonelywood
Finland knows all about playing that way so don't complain, they did the exact same thing against Canada in sochi.

Finland has consistently done that when facing far stronger teams over the years in international hockey.
Finland has most definitely not done counter attack play (ever). Five man defense yes. Occasionally controlling play and having "fluky" goals. But successful counter attack play is purely a Czech thing. We don't have players for that, skaters or scorers. Well now we do, but I'm sure we're gonna castrate them. Still good luck and hope you destroy everyone! :thumbu:

Reactions: Jablkon

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Finland has most definitely not done counter attack play (ever). Five man defense yes. Occasionally controlling play and having "fluky" goals. But successful counter attack play is purely a Czech thing. We don't have players for that, skaters or scorers. Well now we do, but I'm sure we're gonna castrate them. Still good luck and hope you destroy everyone! :thumbu:

Like hell they don't, they did it in Sochi against Canada as just one example, I've seen them do it lots of times over the years(i am 47 and have been watching international hockey since I was 6, not sure how old you are) especially in the days when they weren't what they are now...................which is one of the top teams, there was a time they sure were not and they had to play that way ALL the time.

And they most certainly have the players to counterattack and make that play style work if they have to use it.

But they still do when they have to, and they knew against Canada in Sochi that it was a game they had to do it. They sat back the whole game and only pressed when a mistake was made by canada and only then.

You may want to think finland never does that (as if it is some embarrassment when sometimes it is the only way to go against a superior opponent) but they have and will most likely do so again when they need to.

And who could blame them? There is no real shame in that, Canada will likely have to adopt that type of game coming up in the olympics against some teams because on paper we are gonna be outgunned there by a couple of teams.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I don't understand the question.

If being blown out is better than losing in a shootout, then it would stand to reason that winning in a blowout is worse than winning in a shootout. I mean, I think you've got it backwards, so don't ask me to make it make sense

sooni

Oct 23, 2014
Vaasa
Well... Tournaments is pretty lucky based stuff, if 2 teams are close enough to each other... Sometimes there is Goalies which steals games, like Rask did (Sochi) against Russia. Can´t really blame this team for trying. I´m just a bit concerned about Finnish center depth and future goaltending.
After all this was only one of "these" tournament games... we have won a lot in junior tournaments lately and our future is insanely bright. Next Olympic team for China:

Aho-Barkov-Laine
Granlund-Borgstrom-Tolvanen
Vesalainen-Teravainen-Rantanen
Kapanen-Heponiemi-Armia
Lehkonen, Kupari

Ristolainen-Heiskanen
Määttä-Juolevi
Valimaki-Vaakanainen
Jokiharju-Honka
Lindell

Saros, Husso

This can be even best team that Finland have ever had. No reason to be "really mad"

Reactions: jj cale

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
A shootout is a way to end a game quickly, but not correctly. But the IIHF doesn't care about what is correct. They need to get fans out so they can pay to get back in again. I hate shootouts when my team wins as much as when it loses. Just toss a coin and let everyone go home, because that is basically what you are doing anyway.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
If being blown out is better than losing in a shootout, then it would stand to reason that winning in a blowout is worse than winning in a shootout. I mean, I think you've got it backwards, so don't ask me to make it make sense
This is about how if feels after losing. Winning is obviously different. A win for your own team can't be bitter.

Reactions: addu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad