GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 21 • QF1: CZE (4) - FIN (3) F/SO

Kaos Kommando

Dec 11, 2017
Lonelywood
Like hell they don't, they did it in Sochi against Canada as just one example, I've seen them do it lots of times over the years(i am 47 and have been watching international hockey since I was 6, not sure how old you are) especially in the days when they weren't what they are now...................which is one of the top teams, there was a time they sure were not and they had to play that way ALL the time.

But they still do when they have to, and they knew against Canada in Sochi that it was a game they had to do it. They sat back the whole game and only pressed when a mistake was made by canada and only then.

You may want to think finland never does that (as if it is some embarrassment when sometimes it is the only way to go against a superior opponent) but you are fooling yourself if you think so.
OK.. so you're old. What that means is that you've forgot most things, and what you "remember" is just imagination!

Do you know what. I'm on the older side too. I'm just one that accepts that what I've seen is "crap".
Super Series is something that's not something you would wait to see from best players on world. I mean 10 minutes with several powerplayes and no shots on goal. And that's not even worst you could see. But now to this issue.

Maybe we have a different opinion on counter attack . My view is that opponent loses puck control and Czechs are ready for counter attack immediately. I mean that it's a good thing! What Finland did was 75% turtle and 25% control. There's no way we could have done what Czechs can do. I see a big difference there. Czechs with faster transition than anyone. And Finland with turtle and slow zone exit and then control when it works.
Totally different. Czech fast. Finland slow.

Still saying you're old is bad. I need to watch old games to remember what actually happened. And most often I'm wrong. And to stop this "rant" I think that what Finland does is bad and Czechs are always a bad opponent. At least we can beat russia.

-Charles Eleventh the Twelfth-

addu

May 6, 2016
This is about how if feels after losing. Winning is obviously different. A win for your own team can't be bitter.

Well, it can be bitter. Sometimes actually the best team doesn't win and that feels _awful_, when actually your team was playing like sh*t and them at their best, so max effort vs. no effort, I'd give it for the underdog with the effort any day.

Tonight there was maybe a skill gap, but mainly a mental one. Finns didn't want it as much as they needed to to win.
Or maybe they wanted it too much or had the pressure of expectations, but that's a whole another discussion.
=all equals to no goals.

The point is:
tonight,
they actually deserved it. Both teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hemsky001

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Well... Tournaments is pretty lucky based stuff, if 2 teams are close enough to each other... Sometimes there is Goalies which steals games, like Rask did (Sochi) against Russia. Can´t really blame this team for trying. I´m just a bit concerned about Finnish center depth and future goaltending.
After all this was only one of "these" tournament games... we have won a lot in junior tournaments lately and our future is insanely bright. Next Olympic team for China:

Aho-Barkov-Laine
Granlund-Borgstrom-Tolvanen
Vesalainen-Teravainen-Rantanen
Kapanen-Heponiemi-Armia
Lehkonen, Kupari

Ristolainen-Heiskanen
Määttä-Juolevi
Valimaki-Vaakanainen
Jokiharju-Honka
Lindell

Saros, Husso

This can be even best team that Finland have ever had. No reason to be "really mad"

Pulju retired? :)

I also believe Lindell is better than Vali, Vaaka and Honka.

Reactions: addu

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Well... Tournaments is pretty lucky based stuff, if 2 teams are close enough to each other... Sometimes there is Goalies which steals games, like Rask did (Sochi) against Russia. Can´t really blame this team for trying. I´m just a bit concerned about Finnish center depth and future goaltending.
After all this was only one of "these" tournament games... we have won a lot in junior tournaments lately and our future is insanely bright. Next Olympic team for China:

Aho-Barkov-Laine
Kapanen-Heponiemi-Armia
Lehkonen, Kupari

Ristolainen-Heiskanen
Määttä-Juolevi
Valimaki-Vaakanainen
Jokiharju-Honka
Lindell

Saros, Husso

This can be even best team that Finland have ever had. No reason to be "really mad"

I cannot think of a Finnish team ever that had as much talent as this future Finnish team could potentially have.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
First of all, always nice to see a civilized and objective discussion between opposing fans - as it should always be, but sadly often is not.

As a Czech fan, I am naturally very pleased with the result, and with aspects of the team’s play. (I know the Finns were the mich better team - just hear me out!) I was very pleased by their teamwork, their maturity in terms of never giving up, even when they fell behind in the 3rd against a clearly superior team, and the coach’s decisions (in particular pulling the goalie early). I have been a fan of coach Pesan for a while so am pleased he will get the credit he deserves.

Naturally, I feel sorry for the Finnish team, nobody will deny they were better on the day, but that’s sports. The better team does not always win.

I cannot see this team having any real chance against Canada. I just hope that they won’t suffer an embarrasssing defeat, and that they will have enough left in the tank to bring home a bronze medal. Cesi do toho!

addu

May 6, 2016
First of all, always nice to see a civilized and objective discussion between opposing fans - as it should always be, but sadly often is not.

As a Czech fan, I am naturally very pleased with the result, and with aspects of the team’s play. (I know the Finns were the mich better team - just hear me out!) I was very pleased by their teamwork, their maturity in terms of never giving up, even when they fell behind in the 3rd against a clearly superior team, and the coach’s decisions (in particular pulling the goalie early). I have been a fan of coach Pesan for a while so am pleased he will get the credit he deserves.

Naturally, I feel sorry for the Finnish team, nobody will deny they were better on the day, but that’s sports. The better team does not always win.

I cannot see this team having any real chance against Canada. I just hope that they won’t suffer an embarrasssing defeat, and that they will have enough left in the tank to bring home a bronze medal. Cesi do toho!

Just the last part: what does "cesi do toho" stand for?

Co czechs?

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017

Aho-Barkov-Laine
Kapanen-Heponiemi-Armia
Lehkonen, Kupari

Ristolainen-Heiskanen
Määttä-Juolevi
Valimaki-Vaakanainen
Jokiharju-Honka
Lindell

Saros, Husso

Awesome! A bright future!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Finland knows all about playing that way so don't complain, they did the exact same thing against Canada in sochi.

Finland has consistently done that when facing far stronger teams over the years in international hockey.

We didn't have a choice considering all the injuries we had, especially at center. The difference in talent level between Finland and Czechs in this tournament compared to Canada and Finland in Sotshi isn't even remotely close.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
We didn't have a choice considering all the injuries we had, especially at center. The difference in talent level between Finland and Czechs in this tournament compared to Canada and Finland in Sotshi isn't even remotely close.

I agree you did not have a choice in sochi, you did what you had to do, any team would in the position they found themselves in there.

But for someone to suggest Finland never plays that way? We all know they have when they have had to.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Just the last part: what does "cesi do toho" stand for?

Co czechs?

Yes, that is pretty much what it means! Though I am fully aware of the futility of any battle cry when it comes to the game against the Canadians :)

Reactions: addu

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I agree you did not have a choice in sochi, you did what you had to do, any team would in the position they found themselves in there.

But for someone to suggest Finland never plays that way? We all know they have when they have had to.

When we've had the all our talent present, like in 2006, we can play different hockey. But we don't play hockey to entertain other countries fans, we play the kind of hockey that gets our team wins. In 2006 stiffling Russia and making things difficult for them was the best key to winning.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
OK.. so you're old. What that means is that you've forgot most things, and what you "remember" is just imagination!

Do you know what. I'm on the older side too. I'm just one that accepts that what I've seen is "crap".
Super Series is something that's not something you would wait to see from best players on world. I mean 10 minutes with several powerplayes and no shots on goal. And that's not even worst you could see. But now to this issue.

Maybe we have a different opinion on counter attack . My view is that opponent loses puck control and Czechs are ready for counter attack immediately. I mean that it's a good thing! What Finland did was 75% turtle and 25% control. There's no way we could have done what Czechs can do. I see a big difference there. Czechs with faster transition than anyone. And Finland with turtle and slow zone exit and then control when it works.
Totally different. Czech fast. Finland slow.

Still saying you're old is bad. I need to watch old games to remember what actually happened. And most often I'm wrong. And to stop this "rant" I think that what Finland does is bad and Czechs are always a bad opponent. At least we can beat russia.

-Charles Eleventh the Twelfth-

No, it means I am older then you and have seen a lot more then you, which is very clear since your lack of experience with the Finnish team over the years here shows.

With age comes experience, you dont have enough of that yet, I do.

sorry!!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
When we've had the all our talent present, like in 2006, we can play different hockey. But we don't play hockey to entertain other countries fans, we play the kind of hockey that gets our team wins. In 2006 stiffling Russia and making things difficult for them was the best key to winning.
They are very capable of playing different hockey when all their talent is present, and most often Finland does not play the way they played against Canada in Sochi, it was just a tournament they had to.

those days are few and far between now.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Was it in the OT that he was looking like he was going to deke through the opposing team and then just gave the puck away unforced? I really don't get what he was doing out there. He looked so much better in senior national team.

Who the f*** knows. Maybe he was out to lunch. A free one.

UltimateIdiot

Jan 2, 2018
They are very capable of playing different hockey when all their talent is present, and most often Finland does not play the way they played against Canada in Sochi, it was just a tournament they had to.

those days are few and far between now.
Thankfully. Though I don't hate the trap (do what you gotta do), it's just much more fun watching a high-scoring thriller, like the FIN-CAN match in 2016 was, and more satisfying to get the win that way.

Reactions: jj cale

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Sucks for the Finns, they had a good team, and outplayed the Czechs, the shootout is a rough way to lose. That's the reality of the WJCs though, in a single game elimination format, with shootouts, being the better team is often not enough, you need a good bit of luck too.

The Czechs DO have some very good talent, though - Zadina looks like a real stud, Necas and Chytil are top notch prospects too, Hajek and Budik are pretty good, and Korenar played a hell of a game in net. The Czechs have had a bit of luck, but even still they've won 4 of 5 games, including wins against top notch teams in Finland and Russia, its been an impressive run so far. They won't be an easy opponent for Canada, if they can hold Canada to a few goals they've got the talent to score a few themselves.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
That Valimaki - Heiskanen pairing was really really bad.
they were -2 today
they were -2 the game before against the US,
Valimaki and Heiskanen had a CF% of 44%, and 48% respectively
While Juolevi and Jokiharu were 84% and 80%

Vali and Heiskanen could not get out of their zone as they usually had substantially worse transitions as well. I didn't understand the coach not breaking them up, anybody watching saw they were getting exposed.

Any idea who Heiskanen played with in other tournaments like the U18 gold team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad