GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 21 • QF1: CZE (4) - FIN (3) F/SO

Saablic

Feb 8, 2017
Czech Republic
Ye, we practtically dominated 2nd period against Sweden and what? Only 1 goal, 1 goal post hit. This is hockey, QF is battle of tactics and I was really quite surprised that we didn´t play our offensive hockey as in previous matches. Kořenář was our hero today, our goalie was superior at the most needed moments. Many players from this team could play also at next WJC and many of them has a chance to make it into NHL. I am really happy that after dark years of Czech hockey, there is something bright again and we´re working hard to keep up with the best teams.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I have to say, Vesalainen really impressed me in this tournament. Solid pick by the Jets. He looked dominant at times.

It will be hard for him to break into Jets top-6 though so I expect 2 almost full seasons in the AHL. He better go to NA next season and try to start convincing people there.

Reactions: 204hockey

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
It will be hard for him to break into Jets top-6 though so I expect 2 almost full seasons in the AHL. He better go to NA next season and try to start convincing people there.
A little bit of AHL grooming never hurt anyone.

Winnipeg has high end offensive talent and to be able to add a matured Vesalainen over the next 1-2 seasons will be a novelty.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Now that the initial frustration has toned down I gotta say I'm happy to see Czech having a lot of young talent again and will be rooting for them for sure
I agree. It's great for hockey.

Chytil, Necas and Zadina looked solid.

Hopefully we see Slovakia, Germany and Denmark begin to follow suit.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

sadpanda

May 19, 2016
Stockholm
I think Finland was the better team, but as usual can't put the puck in enough. Was hard watching Finland this year, kinda expected a medal at least.

Just wanna say gratz to CZE and good luck in the semis!

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
In the semifinals and the medal games though, I think an endless OT instead of the shootout could be doable.
I think pretty soon after last year's shootout final IIHF announced a change... but was it endless OT for the gold medal game? I couldn't google a news story.

Semifinals still have the same issue when they're played during the same day. If course you could schedule them as spread apart as possible (i.e. first game at 1 pm, second game at 8 pm), but it is still possible in theory that the first game has not ended in time and you can't have that possibility.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I agree in principle and I particularly can't stand 4vs4 OTs (should be always 5vs5 and at least one full 20 mins), but endless OTs just isn't possible when there multiple games are played successively in the same arena.

So, if scheduling is a concern, then the IIHF should rectify the situation. Shooutouts should not be the only solution to scheduling. Have a couple of more arenas, so there are not multiple games booked in the same arena. A skills competition has no place in a team sport. This farce is okay in the round robin games, but not in elimination games.

Saablic

Feb 8, 2017
Czech Republic
Moreover, refs were against us the whole match, several Finland penalty calls weren´t call, this is just ridiculous and we know our PP is deadly. Now we can play with a smile against Canada (I suppose they will beat Switzerland easily), we have nothing to lose and we can play our creative hockey again, without fear and with passion. Hope it will be tough match as at previous WJC (we lost 3-5 after great battle).

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So, if scheduling is a concern, then the IIHF should rectify the situation. Shooutouts should not be the only solution to scheduling. Have a couple of more arenas, so there are not multiple games booked in the same arena. A skills competition has no place in a team sport. This farce is okay in the round robin games, but not in elimination games.
Have you ever heard about penalty shoot-out in soccer? It's been done for around 100 years now and we somehow live with it.

Moreover, refs were against us the whole match
You really had to bring the refs into conversation after a lucky win? Can't you just be happy?

Reactions: Jablkon

Kaos Kommando

Dec 11, 2017
Lonelywood
Moreover, refs were against us the whole match, several Finland penalty calls weren´t call, this is just ridiculous and we know our PP is deadly. Now we can play with a smile against Canada (I suppose they will beat Switzerland easily), we have nothing to lose and we can play our creative hockey again, without fear and with passion. Hope it will be tough match as at previous WJC (we lost 3-5 after great battle).
Hope you go all the way.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Wow, that's the most unfair win I've seen in the last 20 years. After all pro goalies Finland has produced, it's hard to believe Luukkonen was the best alternative. No chance whatsoever that he'll ever play a single game in the NHL.

Canada are already in the finals and will be joined by the US. Sweden won't have a chance against the US. We had an easy group without the top 3 nations and I think our team is overrated.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Yes, lets just have "a couple of more arenas". Maybe IIHF can build them by using magic or something. Buffalo is a large hockey market and the 2nd arena they're using now (where one QF, SWE-SVK, is played today) is the Sabres' practice arena and merely resembles a barn. And if you have four QFs per day, you need four arenas.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Wow, that's the most unfair win I've seen in the last 20 years. After all pro goalies Finland has produced, it's hard to believe Luukkonen was the best alternative. No chance whatsoever that he'll ever play a single game in the NHL.

Canada are already in the finals and will be joined by the US. Sweden won't have a chance against the US. We had an easy group without the top 3 nations and I think our team is overrated.

Nothing is guaranteed. I think Sweden can beat USA. Russia might upset USA today. Anything can happen.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Yes, lets just have "a couple of more arenas". Maybe IIHF can build them by using magic or something. Buffalo is a large hockey market and the 2nd arena they're using now (where one QF, SWE-SVK, is played today) is the Sabres' practice arena and merely resembles a barn. And if you have four QFs per day, you need four arenas.

Spread the QF's over a couple of days. I see nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: addu

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Maybe it is the European mentality. The major North American leagues do not have farce skills contests to determine team sports.
Well you have 70 minutes of hockey to determine it first. Accept the fact that you need to win in 70 minutes if you don't want "farce skills contests" and move on. As simple as that.

Reactions: ovikovy817

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Ohhh MAN that is some terrible coaching

No offense to Juolevi, but he is not a shootout player. He'd probably tell you that himself.
I dont blame Juolevi, that is terrible coaching for selecting him and not Heponiemi.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Spread the QF's over a couple of days. I see nothing wrong with that.
That's more viable but the schedule has been tradionally this compact for a long time.

I also hate how SFs and gold medal game are always on consequent days.

I attended the World Cup of Hockey in 2016 in Toronto, and there were no issues. No farce skills contests to determine a team sport.
No multiple games on the same day on the same arena either. Somehow you still fail to grasp this.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

For Canada yes but I got SWE beating USA. Let's see RUS-USA first as well. So IMO USA is quite far from a final spot at the moment while Canada is almost locked to be in the final.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
That's more viable but the schedule has been this compact for a long time.

I also hate how SFs and gold medal game are always on consequent days.

No multiple games on the same day on the same arena either. Somehow you still fail to grasp this.

Just because something is done for a long time, does not mean it cannot be changed. QF's should be spread out. Same with the Semis. Another 3-4 days of the tournament extending, is not the end of the world. However, the IIHF does not grasp that. A shame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad