GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 21 • QF1: CZE (4) - FIN (3) F/SO

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Pulju retired? :)

I also believe Lindell is better than Vali, Vaaka and Honka.

Nutivaara over Honka as well. He's getting pretty solid minutes in Columbus now which is not easy in that team with some big names in the defense and under Tortorella and Jarmo Kek who doesn't want to give his countrymen any easy chances.

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Sucks for the Finns, they had a good team, and outplayed the Czechs, the shootout is a rough way to lose. That's the reality of the WJCs though, in a single game elimination format, with shootouts, being the better team is often not enough, you need a good bit of luck too.

The Czechs DO have some very good talent, though - Zadina looks like a real stud, Necas and Chytil are top notch prospects too, Hajek and Budik are pretty good, and Korenar played a hell of a game in net. The Czechs have had a bit of luck, but even still they've won 4 of 5 games, including wins against top notch teams in Finland and Russia, its been an impressive run so far. They won't be an easy opponent for Canada, if they can hold Canada to a few goals they've got the talent to score a few themselves.

Well, we (Finland) aren't like the Swedes who can win year after year with pure luck ... even if they suck, from time to time.

Finland always seems to have to climb K2 to win anything ...

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Thanks! My first post, glad you liked it :D

After the initial shock, depression and frustration that I also experienced after the shootout, I must say that I am not as torn as I could be. I saw some great hockey from the Finnish team, just as one would expect in u20's: it was at it's best creative, smart and kind of show-off-y (if that is a word). It was lacking some major stuff, such as intensity and power and winner-quality-goaltending. But I don't feel bad. Can't actually expect to win every year, can you? (Well, maybe you can, if you happen to be Canada or Soviet Russia - Finland? Not yet.)

The main point that I felt we missed was a team. We had some really good hockey players but not a team. Even though I heard on the national TV that they got to stick together and practice for quite a long time (comparing to adult tournaments at least). So it feels to me, that something might (just a hunch, no actual knowledge) have gone wrong in the process of Finnish coaching after we started producing real NHL stars (the goalies were the first wave, now we have Rask and Rinne and such) and over-the-top talented individuals (first goalies and recently PuLa-Aho's). We can bring top talent nowadays but we no longer have the strong-5 that we had as underdogs. If we could get that back, plus this talent, we'd be gold.

But I don't feel bad. Because with this team, it did at first seem worth all the hype. But seeing them play... it was not enough.

Still eager to see the medal games. Now rooting for Czechia! :popcorn:

Nice hunches. Some universal truth there. Better the individual and stronger the individualism lesser the collective and co operation as a team. Thus, the Finnish way only reflects and follows general cultural and social trends. It is hard to have both.

Furthermore, the Finnish head coach showed some serious symptoms of inability, subtle incapacitation, stubbornness, blindness and lack of analytics, judgement and authority.

So, the tangible process that failed was the one taking place under Ahokas' supervision and inside his frigging head.

The guy was the biggest disappointment and the main reason for the failure in all his sudden flaws and incapacities.

A nice guy, only not that wise. Rather a tool. A rigid-minded fool. We say and shout: Out out out!

Reactions: addu

addu

May 6, 2016
Nice hunches. Some universal truth there. Better the individual and stronger the individualism lesser the collective and co operation as a team. Thus, the Finnish way only reflects and follows general cultural and social trends. It is hard to have both.

Furthermore, the Finnish head coach showed some serious symptoms of inability, subtle incapacitation, stubbornness, blindness and lack of analytics, judgement and authority.

So, the tangible process that failed was the one taking place under Ahokas' supervision and inside his frigging head.

The guy was the biggest disappointment and the main reason for the failure in all his sudden flaws and incapacities.

A nice guy, only not that wise. Rather a tool. A rigid-minded fool. We say and shout: Out out out!

Can't like twice, couldn't agree more. Ahokas telling his strategies on national TV was just... like any other guy with "good looks", groomed and suited well, telling his opinions. I'd rather see a real coach. Even Rautakorpi... :help:

Reactions: Loffer

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
It makes me angry to see how we lost this game after seeing how the Czechs have played both in the semifinal and now in the bronze medal game.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Finland are in Group B next year for some reason when they finished 5th, should be GA and Russia in B.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00