World Cup: 2018 WC Qualifiers Part II

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Belgium get a complete gift, they still go to Greece and Bosnia this campaign but both dropped points today so they can afford to slip up in both games and still qualify

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Bulgaria's win over Sweden complicates second place in that group, but the Dutch very much alive despite the hammering today as they host their two direct rivals

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Euro roundup

Group A
France hammer Netherlands to move three points clear of Sweden who fell in Bulgaria. France's fixtures aren't too bad, other than a visit to Bulgaria they host the bottom feeders so they should win the group. The fight for 2nd will be intense with Netherlands controlling their own destiny despite being currently 4th as they host both Sweden and Bulgaria

On Sunday its the first of those matchups as the Dutch host Bulgaria while Sweden go to Bulgaria away. France face Luxembourg away

Group B
Status quo, the three favorites win easily, Switzerland still three points above Portugal with Portugal having the far superior GD.

Both Switzerland and Portugal go away on Sunday; the Swiss go to Latvia while Portugal go to Hungary, potentially tricky although the Hungarians are out of it

Group H
Gift for Belgium today, easy win over Gibraltar and their two rivals both drop points. Bosnia blew a two goal lead and lost in Cyprus while Greece were held by Estonia at home. Belgium in comfortable position, as I mentioned before they still go to Greece and Bosnia but can afford to lose both games and still qualify. Greece have a two point edge over BiH with the same GD while you cannot discount Cyprus who surprisingly are only 3 points behind Greece

On Sunday the big match is in Athens as Greece host Belgium, BiH go to Gibraltar while Cyprus go to Estonia.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The ARG lineup with Pizarro in it over Paredes and Acuna over Pastore is triggering me.

edit: lol that Vidal own goal.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I still expect Chile to qualify but it must be a concern at how old their squad is and seemingly nobody of note coming through the ranks, especially in an ultra competitive South America

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Don't get how Tabarez refuses to call Lucas Torreira up. He and Bentancur would bring some mobility and passing to their midfielder. Uruguay needs to add youth blood to their old team anyway.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
BTW, Coutinho came off the bench and was the best player on the pitch by a huge margin. Scored a goal and was very emotional in the celebration.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
BTW, Coutinho came off the bench and was the best player on the pitch by a huge margin. Scored a goal and was very emotional in the celebration.

That pass to Jesus was brilliant. Liverpool fans are funny when they say good riddance. He's by far their most creative player in the midfield.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That pass to Jesus was brilliant. Liverpool fans are funny when they say good riddance. He's by far their most creative player in the midfield.

I will welcome him back with open arms provided he doesn't dog it.

I never wanted to cut off my nose to spite my face. I actually think Coutinho hits another level this season.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden

I've said it. With players like Mane and Salah on the wing and with his new position in the central of the pitch I think he's gonna explode this season. So many ways for him to use all of his strengths as a footballer.

If Liverpool sell him they're gonna be a worse team going in to this season compared to last season, atleast on paper.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's a moot point because they're not selling him. That much is clear. He can put his head down and get to work and have the best season of his career or he can sulk and play with the reserves. Either way I've lost respect for him on a personal level but everyone can have second chances. Young people make mistakes. I'm still sour about it, and I wouldn't be opposed to using him as an example either for how he's handled the situation but if he's given another chance and he gives his all for Liverpool it is what it is.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
It's a moot point because they're not selling him. That much is clear. He can put his head down and get to work and have the best season of his career or he can sulk and play with the reserves. Either way I've lost respect for him on a personal level but everyone can have second chances. Young people make mistakes. I'm still sour about it, and I wouldn't be opposed to using him as an example either for how he's handled the situation but if he's given another chance and he gives his all for Liverpool it is what it is.

Now tell us how disappointed you are for not signing VVD.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Now tell us how disappointed you are for not signing VVD.

I'm not really.

I mean, I'd like to have had him and gained the extra depth on defence but I have no particular attachment to van Dijk and I didn't really like the way he went about trying to get transferred in the same way I didn't like Coutinho's methods (though I think Coutinho went way further, and was more disrespectful).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad